Interesting read about sight shooting in self defense situations

This is a discussion on Interesting read about sight shooting in self defense situations within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This training series is quite good. http://www.spike.com/show/39392 During the episodes the isosceles stance and the front sight are emphasized. But during the last four episodes ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Interesting read about sight shooting in self defense situations

This training series is quite good. http://www.spike.com/show/39392
    During the episodes the isosceles stance and the front sight are emphasized.
    But during the last four episodes each student is given the same "true to life" exercise, and in every case all seven students revert to point shooting under the stress, even though they have plenty of time to use their sights.

The first episode is at the bottom of the page and the last episode is at the top of the page. The "true to life" exercises start near the middle of the "Prime Of Life" episode.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

when i shoot the best...skeet, trap, sporting clays or handgun pratice....when i vacate my mind & let my instincts take over....i shoot the best...

Quote Originally Posted by Buckj View Post
    when i shoot the best...skeet, trap, sporting clays or handgun pratice....when i vacate my mind & let my instincts take over....i shoot the best...
    When I shoot the best is when they ain't nobody lookin'......

jwarren

it is amazing...when all i focus on is mounting my gun correctly....shotgun..... longgun or handgun...i shoot the most correctly.....

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Well I read it. I do believe point shooting is probably the best all round practical style for civilian concealed carry. When I was getting my certification, a retired FBI agent was helping teach the class. For fun, he taught us a very simple point shooting technique and we practiced at 7 yards. it was fun and surprisingly effective.

I too believe that night sights and lasers aren't very good tools but I do have night sights on all my guns. Started out that way and have just continued.

I do think using your middle finger to pull the trigger is just plain wierd and to me it weakens your grip on the weapon and puts the index finger in a very bad place. I also think the little shield is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.

I practice with sights and punch a lot of paper but lost the main place I used to shoot at a few years ago. Since then I only have access to public ranges so I don't get to practice as I once did.

I do hike out into conservation areas and practice a VERY little but you're not supposed to target shoot out there so I limit my rounds and just plink.

I'm also of the opinion that we ought to practice getting our gun out (while it's unloaded).

Good subject to think about. Personally, I think we may be very surprised if we ever really have to use our guns

Gideon

Gideon,
    Was this by chance what he taught you?

"Quick-Fire Point shooting. The weapon should be held in a two hand grip. It is brought up close to the body until it reaches chin level and is then thrust forward until both arms are straight. The arms and body form a triangle, which can be aimed as a unit. In thrusting the weapon forward, the firer can imagine that there is a box between him and the enemy, and he is thrusting the weapon into the box. The trigger is smoothly squeezed to the rear as the elbows straighten out."
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

IMHO point shooting is invaluable. There isn't any one right technique that will fill the bill for each encounter type or scenario that can be thought of. The most important thing is to train with multiple techniques. It's kind of like having a tool box full of tools. You won't use every tool each time you work on your car but you will probably have the right tool for the job at your disposal when you do need it.

I carry a Sig 229 (9mm) on duty and a Sig 220 w/Lasermax off duty (which is about to change to a 229 in 40 w/CT or Lasermax). I find lasers invaluable if confronted with a situation that I need to be surgical with my shot placement, i.e. home defense. You do have to concentrate more if shooting with a laser but not much. Point shooting is about instinctive shooting. Both have their place depending on the scenario presented. It's good to have both tools in your tool box and more if you can.

In the end, the shooter is responsible for every shot fired. Those that found their target. Those that over penetrated the target and went somewhere else. And those that were fired and missed the intended target entirely. Whatever you need to do ensure accuracy and be as confident as possible on your shot placement each time you squeeze the trigger then that is the right technique...and the one that keeps you alive as well.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckj View Post
    That's the easy part for me. It's pretty much vacant to begin with.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I believe that there are quite a number of people who would disagree with you on 1/2 and 3/4 hip, especially those of us that have used either or both to save their butts in real situations. I would say further but I am biting my lip to stay civil.

ETA: Do the names Jordan and Bryce, by chance ring a bell.
    There are quite a few people who have used "gangsta" to save their butts in real situations, that doesn't make it a viable, optimal shooting position.
    Point shooting is lowest common denominator shooting.
    If you want to spend all your training time shooting to the level of a completely unskilled person, more power to you.
    "Bite your lip to stay civil"... that just tells me you're all emotion and very little fact.

Quote Originally Posted by afcarpenter View Post
    IMHO point shooting is invaluable. There isn't any one right technique that will fill the bill for each encounter type or scenario that can be thought of. The most important thing is to train with multiple techniques. It's kind of like having a tool box full of tools. You won't use every tool each time you work on your car but you will probably have the right tool for the job at your disposal when you do need it.

I carry a Sig 229 (9mm) on duty and a Sig 220 w/Lasermax off duty (which is about to change to a 229 in 40 w/CT or Lasermax). I find lasers invaluable if confronted with a situation that I need to be surgical with my shot placement, i.e. home defense. You do have to concentrate more if shooting with a laser but not much. Point shooting is about instinctive shooting. Both have their place depending on the scenario presented. It's good to have both tools in your tool box and more if you can.

In the end, the shooter is responsible for every shot fired. Those that found their target. Those that over penetrated the target and went somewhere else. And those that were fired and missed the intended target entirely. Whatever you need to do ensure accuracy and be as confident as possible on your shot placement each time you squeeze the trigger then that is the right technique...and the one that keeps you alive as well.
    X 2 I agree 100%. Good post.

For that matter, there have been many insightful and constructive posts on this thread. It good to have discussions about these life and death matters....Good going

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    There are quite a few people who have used "gangsta" to save their butts in real situations, that doesn't make it a viable, optimal shooting position.
    If you want to spend all your training time shooting to the level of a completely unskilled person, more power to you.
    "Bite your lip to stay civil"... that just tells me you're all emotion and very little fact.
    i think emotional is one of the last things youll find with guantes....

point shooting is instinctive and one does not have to index the gun properly to be accurate with it...once the hand/eye/mind coordination is complete a point shooter can accurately place shots from many positions including some many wouldnt find comfortable trying to chase a laser from...and 1/2 hip 3/4 hip skills or much more valuable than many think as most self defense encounters are at close range...

Point shooting --> "flash sight picture" --> hard focus front sight.

It's a continuum in which each piece has a place and I think if you carry a gun you owe it to yourself to be skilled across the spectrum. Which one of these methods you use will be dictated by the circumstances. Dismiss point shooting at your own peril.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i think emotional is one of the last things youll find with guantes....

point shooting is instinctive and one does not have to index the gun properly to be accurate with it...once the hand/eye/mind coordination is complete a point shooter can accurately place shots from many positions including some many wouldnt find comfortable trying to chase a laser from...and 1/2 hip 3/4 hip skills or much more valuable than many think as most self defense encounters are at close range...
    Incorrect.....if the gun whether by point shooting or by whatever means is not indexed to the target.....a miss is what you have. This is completely foolish talk about not indexing the gun. What chasing a laser.....when the gun is pointed at the target the laser is on the target at the same instant....there is no chasing a laser.....

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Your comments reflect your lack of knowledge, experience and probably bias relative to point/instinctive shooting and its application in real confrontations.

To imply that two of the most renown gunfighters in LE, numerous highly recognized instructors and countless experienced practioners use lowest common denominator methods and are completely unskilled again demonstrates a lack of knowledge and experience in addition to disrespect.

The combination of the above caused such shock that it required "lip biting" to reply in a civil manner, which I did. You know little or nothing about me so anything that you surmise based on one sentence, obviously has little or no value.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links