Interesting read about sight shooting in self defense situations

This is a discussion on Interesting read about sight shooting in self defense situations within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is interesting and poses food for thought for those of us concerned about such things. The links on the page are interesting also. As ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Interesting read about sight shooting in self defense situations

This is interesting and poses food for thought for those of us concerned about such things. The links on the page are interesting also.

As a side note, the videos of shootings on youtube.com seem to support what is said on this link.

http://pointshooting.com/training.htm
    sparky12 likes this.

I have said this a million times. Lasers, night sights, fancy target sights... not used in a gunfight. Learn grip, stance, sight picture and punch range paper to familiarize yourself with the weapon. Then train one handed with both hands, moving, and point shooting at targets. Standing still or taking time to get a sight picture or align a laser could get you dead. Practice moving and drawing, shooting instinctively without the use of sights. You don't have a radio or partner and backup is not immediately on it's way, it is just you and the attacker(s). CCW is not like police work.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I have said this a million times. Lasers, night sights, fancy target sights... not used in a gunfight. Learn grip, stance, sight picture and punch range paper to familiarize yourself with the weapon. Then train one handed with both hands, moving, and point shooting at targets. Standing still or taking time to get a sight picture or align a laser could get you dead. Practice moving and drawing, shooting instinctively without the use of sights. You don't have a radio or partner and backup is not immediately on it's way, it is just you and the attacker(s). CCW is not like police work.
    I agree with what you say except for one thing....lasers do work in these situations. I train with mine as you described and they are a tremendous aid to my speed at making hits with radical movement on my part to make myself less of a target. I am concerned with hitting what I shoot at in this type situation because it would be terrible for an arrant shot to hit an innocent. In so many of these situations you are not behind the gun to properly index it......lasers a great and quick for this, there is virtually not hesitation in knowing if it is pointed correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    I agree with what you say except for one thing....lasers do work in these situations. I train with mine as you described and they are a tremendous aid to my speed at making hits with radical movement on my part to make myself less of a target. I am concerned with hitting what I shoot at in this type situation because it would be terrible for an arrant shot to hit an innocent.
    I have found the exact opposite with lasers. I found they take the focus off peripheralvision and movement and put emphasis on getting the dot on target causing a tunnel vision during the training.

I have found the exact opposite with lasers. I found they take the focus off peripheralvision and movement and put emphasis on getting the dot on target causing a tunnel vision during the training.
    I don't seem to have this problem, but I think part of that may be due to my job as it requires that I multitask with my vision constantly.

After my experience in a self defense situation I can say for certainty that you will not remember nor have time to get the laser wobble under control or even remember using it let alone remember how you aimed and fired. I think it is just a gimmick and it has it's benefits such as dry fire practice. It is my personal opinion that you should train without them so as not to rely on them. But I am totally anti hanging things off your weapons like lights and lasers kind of guy. I hate safeties and I love revolvers and semis with large caliber rounds like the 10mm. To each his own.

What you say for the most part is true.

I guess I have a modified view of self defense shooting in that I am not really concerned with "aiming" the gun as my only concern is hitting the target anywhere, so I do not try to control the wobble of the laser, simply index the gun with it.
    Also, I have been in 2 self defense situations, the first time was Dec 20 1996 and again on April 17 1997 and the latter incident was a really split second happening that I was not totally expecting.

If and when a situation pops up in a Wally World parking lot, you'll be lucky to have 2 seconds to make a life-saving decision.
    Hopefully, it will be enough time to retrieve your firearm, and I doubt that you will even put a 'moment's thought' into your sights or laser.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Circumstances and personal attributes will most often determine the value of a particular tactic or piece of equipment in a given situation.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I disagree with the index finger pointing instead of on the trigger. They give lots of well intentioned reasoning for it but it isn't for me. I went to point-N-shoot where you point the gun not your finger. I did it because I reached the age where my eyes don't pick up the sights as well and I'm slower overall. But I can shoot very quickly and well at the 5 & 7 yard distance doing double and triple tap drills.

I'm now working on the C.A.R. method with which I anticipate doing even better.

After my experience in a self defense situation I can say for certainty that you will not remember nor have time to get the laser wobble under control or even remember using it let alone remember how you aimed and fired. I think it is just a gimmick and it has it's benefits such as dry fire practice. It is my personal opinion that you should train without them so as not to rely on them. But I am totally anti hanging things off your weapons like lights and lasers kind of guy. I hate safeties and I love revolvers and semis with large caliber rounds like the 10mm. To each his own.
    How old are you?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Aimed practice can degrade into acceptable point shooting.
    Point shooting practice will NEVER upgrade into good aimed fire.

How do you do aimed practice from retention, 1/2 hip or 3/4 hip?

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    How do you do aimed practice from retention, 1/2 hip or 3/4 hip?
    The only time you'd use retention is from contact distance, it doesn't take a whole lot of repetitions to hit the target when your muzzle is within 2' of it.
    "1/2 and 3/4 hip" are completely useless shooting and fighting positions and practicing them would be counterproductive, akin to practicing shooting "gangsta".

I believe that there are quite a number of people who would disagree with you on 1/2 and 3/4 hip, especially those of us that have used either or both to save their butts in real situations. I would say further but I am biting my lip to stay civil.

ETA: Do the names Jordan and Bryce, by chance ring a bell.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links