Kahr CW45...possible problem, or just needs more break-in time?

This is a discussion on Kahr CW45...possible problem, or just needs more break-in time? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So many different posters with problem Kahr pistols should send a loud and clear message to a thinking man. But hey, they sure are easy ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Kahr CW45...possible problem, or just needs more break-in time?

So many different posters with problem Kahr pistols should send a loud and clear message to a thinking man.

But hey, they sure are easy to carry. Have fun figuring out how to get the trigger to reset when the bad guy is on top of you.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

2. Remove Ads

When my CW9 was new I had the problem where the trigger would not reset. I had to send it back to Kahr. I would recommend you do so too. As I recall the problem had to do with the bent rear end of the trigger bar not catching on the end of the cam at the rear of the frame. This is behind the right access panel. When I sent it in they also polished the feed ramp, which helped with getting a wider range of ammo to chamber properly.
    sensei2 likes this.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Send the thing in, there's many small handguns that work quite well out of the box (Kahr included, not bashing) - everyone makes excuses for Kahrs being 'tight'.

Warranty time.

WOW, old thread resurrection. I sent this gun in a few times after this thread. It never did function to my satisfaction, so I sold it, making the buyer completely aware of the issues I had with the gun. A lot of people have great luck with Kahr pistols, but this particular one just didn't want to run for me. I'll try another Kahr in the future, but right now i'm too hung up on my sig P220 SAS to even think about another Kahr. The m&p 9c that I first replaced the Kahr with has been 100% reliable as well. Its funny how with various different mechanical devices from guns to cars you can have 100 of one model that work well, and then a couple out of the group that just won't hold their own. Hopefully my next Kahr will like me better. :)

[QUOTE=msc8127;2289577] Its funny how with various different mechanical devices from guns to cars you can have 100 of one model that work well, and then a couple out of the group that just won't hold their own. Hopefully my next Kahr will like me better. :)[/QUOTE

yes, you never know. at this point (less than 200 rounds each), my $500 Kahr CM-9 has been more reliable than my $1000 Sig Elite Dark.

jyo
    I have an all-black P45 pistol and it has proven itself reliable as have my two CW9s (even during the break-in)---yes, a firm grip is required as the pistol needs to have something to work against (your hand)---good luck with yours and let us know how it works out!

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    My first kahr was a used pistol that gave the first owner to many problems to think about. He is a well seasoned shooter too. It has been nothing but reliable for me. Hard to understand some times but owners do tend to cause many of there own problems.

Funny thing, Kahrs are like Cars. My ex was just getting into firearms and picked up a CW45 from a pawn shop for $300. It was in excellent shape, other than the fact that someone had Duracoated the frame bright PINK. I advised her against it, but she bought it anyway.

First trip to the range, I ran a mag of FMJ through it without a problem (surprisingly accurate, recoil wasn't too bad). I handed it to her, she set it down after the first round and said "Can you buy me a 9mm?". I got her to run the rest of the mag through it, but that was it. Then I ran 4 boxes of FMJ through it that day without a problem, and started looking for a PM9 for her.

I've since stripped the PINK off the frame (though I need to go over it with a black Cerakote), and run ~400 rounds of FMJ and 100 rounds of GoldDots without a single problem.

I carry it every day.

My father has a PM9 that was REALLY TIGHT from the factory, the recoil spring was so tight that you couldn't eject a loaded round until after the breakin period (~250 rounds). Its been flawless since.

Just got a pm45 first 75 rounds the trigger failed to resent a few times. Had to push it forward with my trigger finger to get it to reset. Took it homefrom the range cleaned it and oiled it really heavy in the trigger area and the last 75 rounds were great. One stove pipe around round 60something the first time out.

You'll have to pay shipping cost if you send it back and it might not work.I had a CW-40 that would fail to feed,bad.After polishing the ramp,changing grip(more) and putting a lot of rounds(money) through it trying to break it in...............just sale it.

This thread perfectly exemplifies why, after having owned a couple dozen autoloaders over the past 50 years, I rely on revolvers exclusively for personal protection.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    A buddy came by for help installing a lighter wolf stricker sping on his cw40 and that darn recoil spring shoot out and sent the steel plunger up to the ceiling. Owner shot it out one more time when reinstalling it. Add a piece of old free inner tube from a bicycle shop to aid in control and grip. Really helps with brake in sessions and control issues for some.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon Hickey View Post
    This thread perfectly exemplifies why, after having owned a couple dozen autoloaders over the past 50 years, I rely on revolvers exclusively for personal protection.
    I have a Springfield Armory 1911-A1 "Loaded" that has had thousands of rounds through it without one failure. That and my ruger Mark II .22 are the only autos I've ever owned (out of several dozen) that are 100% reliable. I just bought a ruger SR22. It's very fussy with ammo. Last weekend I bought a SCCY CPX-2. It fails to extract all the time, so it's going back to the factory tomorrow (they pay for the freight and it goes (illegally) through USPS priority mail). Also last weekend I bought the Kahr CW45. The first 100 rounds were flawless. Then I invited my buddy over to shoot it and the first shot it stove-piped. (I had tried to get it to malfunction by "limp-wristing" it and couldn't get a stovepipe.) So I tried shooting it some more and got two more failures to eject. I cleaned it real well and today took it out to shoot some more. In about 10 rounds it failed to eject. It pulled the cartridge out of the chamber and locked it between the slide and barrel at an angle and the slide was locked all the way back. I couldn't jack the slide or do anything to clear the problem. I finally managed to get the slide stop engaged while I dropped the mag and was able to move the slide enough to make it let go of the shell. It bent the hell out of the shell. I'm calling Kahr tomorrow. This was going to be my duty gun if it proved reliable, and Kahrs, I've been told, have a reputation for reliability, but it appears I didn't find enough forums before deciding. I imagine it will belong to someone else next spring when the next gun show comes to town and I can trade it for something. I almost bought the Glock 36 because of Glocks reputation, but then I found some forums that a few people were having FTE problems. My buddy just bought the new Colt Agent SA and it's as reliable as our full-size 1911s, so I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting the Colt DA Agent. At $900, though, it's really going to hurt me financially to get rid of it if it's not 100% reliable. My main self defense guns, because of the unreliability of autos, is my LCR .38 special and my S&W 325 PD .45 ACP revolvers. "Five for sure" or "six for sure."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links