Kahr CW45...possible problem, or just needs more break-in time?

This is a discussion on Kahr CW45...possible problem, or just needs more break-in time? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read the owner's manual and searched through many Kahr CW gun threads and there is of course a "stated" break-in time for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Kahr CW45...possible problem, or just needs more break-in time?

I have read the owner's manual and searched through many Kahr CW gun threads and there is of course a "stated" break-in time for the Kahrs. So far I have put 250 rounds through my new CW45. I did the recommended clean-up and break-in that is posted on kahrtalk and often referenced here before firing the gun as well.

The first 100 rounds had a few FTE's, 2 rounds that didn't fire, a few rounds where the gun would eject the first round out of the mag, load the second round into the chamber, but the trigger wouldn't be reset in the process. As I approached the 200 round mark the FTE's and non-firing rounds have cleared up and gone away, but now at the 250 round mark i'm still getting the occasional scenario where the first round out of the mag fires, second round is chambered, and the trigger does not reset.

Often times with things like this I assume that I must be the problem, and I would assume that in this case if it happened anywhere other than between the first and second rounds. But, it never has this problem between any other rounds. I also had my dad with me and had him run a couple of magazines through the gun, one of which he had the same problem in between rounds 1 and 2 as I have had.

The issue is becoming less frequent now than it was in the beginning, but is still pretty irritating.

Do you all think this is a break-in issue that will continue to clear up over time? A user error?...I don't have this problem with my other guns, but I'm not by any stretch going to say that it is impossible that I'm the problem....or, is this something that is likely going to need to be addressed by Kahr?

The gun shoots extremely well for such a small, easy to conceal gun, and I probably just need to be more patient and give it more time to break-in, but it is beginning to concern me a bit, so I figured I'd see what you all think.

Thanks for the input!

I would send the gun in to Kahr to have them take a look at it. If the trigger is no being reset, it may be an issue with the gun. They have great customer service and will make things right. I have a Kahr MK9, PM9 and P380 and none of them have ever experienced this issue.
    sensei2 likes this.

I just emailed Kahr tech explaining the situation, so I'll see what they recommend for the solution. If they need me to send it in I'll get it to them so they can get the little jewel operating at 100%. This is my first Kahr, and I think it will be a great CCW if the little bugs can be resolved. It is very comfortable to shoot, and shoots very accurately for what it is. Also conceals extremely well. Just need to work out the bugs so I can have full confidence in it.

Thanks for the input!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Does it occur with one brand ammo or one mag?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Kahrs are tight and finicky little pistols. I have the CW9 series myself and for the dollars spent it's a excellent little semi auto. My suggestion would be to do a full breakdown and cleanup on the upper and the receiver using caution not to let any oil get into the firing pin channel. Once you've done that put it back together and work the action several times, I did mine into the 100 to 150 times count. Do that with no oil at all on the slide or the rails, then take the slide off and add some lube and then work it some more. Then I would take it out for another test and if it still does the same thing, I'd then send it back to Kahr for warranty work. Mine was flawless right outa the box, but I do the procedure I just described to all my new auto loaders and I have yet to get one that will not function. Good Luck to ya and I hope you get the bugs worked outa it. It really is a good Pistol once it gets tuned up...

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I've got it stripped down cleaning and inspecting right now, so I'll go the the slide racking procedure in the process. I probably won't get to fire it anymore until sunday, but it will be ready to go for then.

As far as ammo, so far it has done the same thing white box 230gr FMJ, white box 230gr JHP, and Blazer Brass 230gr FMJ ammo. I have 2 more magazines ordered for it, but thus far all of the rounds have been fed through the same magazine. I tried to find another magazine for it locally before yesterday's trip to the range, but had no luck in doing so.

Looking forward to getting her tuned up for sure! Right now she reminds me of an old, stubborn girlfriend from my younger years...haha.

THEN, on to the next "member of the family"...M&P 9mm Longslide I think it's going to be!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    This is not an ammo problem.

Sounds like there is a problem with the trigger bar not moving as it should. Be sure to clean it well where it meets the trigger and check that the rear part, (outside the frame), is moving easily with no obstructions. Check your lubrication at the junction of the rear of the trigger bar and the cam. If you dryfire the gun, then hand rack the slide then release the trigger, it should then reset. If a good cleaning doesn't do it, you may need a new trigger bar... not unheard of in the CW45 line.
    atctimmy and sensei2 like this.

I hang out a lot in the Kahr forum and we get this report a lot on new guns. Much of the time it is both operator and mechanical issues. The Kahr is a very short bodied gun and if you don't control it with both hands you will get load/eject issues. Essentially, I tell folks to strangle it with both hands and if your weak hand slips around you aren't strangling it enough. It does get better as it wears in which for some takes less than 200rds but others more.

Fail to fire is not the norm IF it is fully chambered. The next FTF, look to ensure it is fully chambered, then give the back of the slide a whack and try again. If it fires, it was a fail to chamber, if it doesn't clear that round and look it over real good.

Don't give up on your new Kahr. It's a good gun that will be good to you.

interestingly enough....After cleaning everything I could reach without pulling the side cover off the trigger, racking the slide who knows how many times, and the oiling the gun, racking the slide who knows how many times again I tried dry-firing, holding the trigger squeezed while racking the slide, then releasing the trigger, I found that the trigger would not reset on its own. So, I took the screw out of the side cover, popped the cover off and cleaned out everything I could from the side, put the cover back on, and then gave it a small shot of Rem Oil. Repeated the dry-fire, hold trigger, and rack slide procedure, and when I released the trigger it reset. I tried this several times, over and over, and it seems to be resetting consistently now.

I did not get a lot of gunk out through the inspection cover on the side, but there was either one piece of gunk in the wrong place, or something was sitting correctly and is now back in place, but now it appears to be happier. None of the cleaning regimens that I have seen on the Kahrs say to take the side cover off and clean back there, but I'm guessing there's no harm in doing so.

Thanks guys for the help. It would be great if the problem is now remedied!

I was typing the last reply at the same time you were typing yours OldLincoln. If I get another FTF i'll try what you suggested and see what she does then. The cw45 does seem to really like to be "leaned into" when shooting. I will verify the Kung-Fu grip as well.

Based obn what you said, I recommend that you clean the striker channel. First try brake cleaner as described on Kahrtalk, being very careful to avoid the eyes. Put the nozzle stray into the cleanout hole and give it a shot. I move the striker back to allow cleaner to come out the firing pin hole. I hate to say it but some new guns have had small shavings in the channel.

After that, exercise the striker spring a few times to see if it moves freely. If not you gotta remove it (look out for that @#$% little spring!) and clean it. May not need it again for a very long time. The alternative is to send it back to Kahr but it will be expensive as they don't pick up the freight anymore.

Kung-Fu grip - I like that!

Similar Issues

I recently purchased a cw45 as well. Loved it right out of the box, but after 200 rounds I began to have a problem with it chambering the first round. I used the slide stop as required, but it wouldn't always chamber the round fully. I also had a problem with the trigger not resetting on the second round. I would have to drop the mag and clear the chamber for the trigger to reset, but then I would have the first problem etc... I spoke with kahr today and they are going to send me a return label. I'm hoping the problem can be fixed because I would love to carry this gun.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTh View Post
    I recently purchased a cw45 as well. Loved it right out of the box, but after 200 rounds I began to have a problem with it chambering the first round. I used the slide stop as required, but it wouldn't always chamber the round fully. I also had a problem with the trigger not resetting on the second round. I would have to drop the mag and clear the chamber for the trigger to reset, but then I would have the first problem etc... I spoke with kahr today and they are going to send me a return label. I'm hoping the problem can be fixed because I would love to carry this gun.

Keith

A friend of mine had the same problem with his. Good news is, once he got it back the trigger was better than when it left.

Reply to Kahr 45 ammo problem

[QUOTE=msc8127;1833916]I have read the owner's manual and searched through many Kahr CW gun threads and there is of course a "stated" break-in time for the Kahrs. So far I have put 250 rounds through my new CW45. I did the recommended clean-up and break-in that is posted on kahrtalk and often referenced here before firing the gun as well.

The first 100 rounds had a few FTE's, 2 rounds that didn't fire, a few rounds where the gun would eject the first round out of the mag, load the second round into the chamber, but the trigger wouldn't be reset in the process. As I approached the 200 round mark the FTE's and non-firing rounds have cleared up and gone away, but now at the 250 round mark i'm still getting the occasional scenario where the first round out of the mag fires, second round is chambered, and the trigger does not reset.

Often times with things like this I assume that I must be the problem, and I would assume that in this case if it happened anywhere other than between the first and second rounds. But, it never has this problem between any other rounds. I also had my dad with me and had him run a couple of magazines through the gun, one of which he had the same problem in between rounds 1 and 2 as I have had.

Here is what I have experienced-Kahr45"s do not like Remington Ammo, they like Winchester Ammo.

Hope this helps

pat olvey
    swohioccw218@yahoo.com

If it true the ammo problem is due to the Kahs having very tight chambers and are thefore ammuniton sensitive. As I posted a few minutes ago my Kahr 45 will react kinda violently with Remington Ammo, to point where after a few shots the round is lodged into the chamber and the trigger did not reset.

I am not having this problem with Winchester Ammo.

Pat olvey
    swohioccw218@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links