Adjustable Sights on a Carry Gun why not? - Page 2

Adjustable Sights on a Carry Gun why not?

This is a discussion on Adjustable Sights on a Carry Gun why not? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't mind drifting the sights left or right, it's the up and down that's more difficult with fixed sights. Novak now makes an adjustable ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adjustable Sights on a Carry Gun why not?

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I don't mind drifting the sights left or right, it's the up and down that's more difficult with fixed sights. Novak now makes an adjustable sight called "Extreme Duty" (I think that's the name).

The initial post asks, "Why all the negativity about them?" regarding adjustable sights on a carry gun.

I suppose I haven't heard much for negativity, but in my mind, the question that instead begs for an answer is "What are the positive remarks about having them on a carry gun?"

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan
    I don't mind drifting the sights left or right, it's the up and down that's more difficult with fixed sights.

we used to use a file on the front sight, you could either put a shiney cut
    into it where your favorite load sighted for a given range or you could file the front sight down to "hit" at a specified distance with a set load...

we also used to "drift" a gutter on a fixed rear sight on a revolver too....

my old S&W mdl 13 had 2 shiney spots one for 158 grn jhp load and one for 125 gnr jhp load... (I just forget which loads...I know they are written down around here somewhere.....)

I like them both.
    What does irk me though...on Taurus' 94 snubby .22 revolver, installed is an adjustable sight. Why ? you don't need it plus it'll snag and just looks plain gaudy !

To me the adjustable sight argument of shooting someone 100 yd's away kinda is off a bit unless you have it sighted in at 100 yd.'s.
    and even then they are prolly moving, maybe shooting at you, etc.
    and a carry weapon, a lil old pistol cartridge, sighted in for regular use at 100 yd.'s to me is kinda silly. (unless its a competion gun, not for regular carry duties)
    i like the idea of the "shiny" spot on the back of the front sight though, never heard of that one.
    thats one reason i like my 1911's over all my other handguns. it just points perfect for me. from day one it was natural.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I have both adjustable and fixed on my carry guns. The CZ P01 and S&W 642 are fixed. My Sig P239 has the MMC Night sights that are adjustable for W & E. I have found (after 5 years of use and carry) the the MMC's are tough and have never had to re-adjust them after initial sighting in (to answer AKsrule). Safe Shooting and God Bless!
    USAF Retired

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    MR D - I like that idea, but the only gun I have any need to adjust the sights came with the tritium filled nightsights, so filing is out until they need to be replaced.

Artz, Taurus probably put that sight on the snubby to get enough "points" from the ATF to import it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have carried both fixed and adjustable sights both on duty , and as ccw . It just does not matter to me , I dont feel that adj. sights are too delicate or any such , but for the role of a defensive pistol i also wont spend the money to " upgrade " to them since its not for game playing and a 25 yard shot is pretty simple " oklahoma windage " to put the round where you want it as long as you know where the pistol shoots .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I have adjustable and yes the snag factor was there, but I had the corners filed down and now they don't catch as much.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

JD
    Administrator
    [QUOTE=QKShooter]Then...some of the early custom Colt 1911s had S&W ADJ rear revolver sights milled into the rear of the pistol slide & they were sometimes not very durable on a semi~auto.
    QUOTE]

I think the Swenson customs were one of the first to have them....???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links