Need some input

This is a discussion on Need some input within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i would also look at the glocks. g26 (9mm), g27(.40), and/or g36 (45acp). all are small guns and eazy to conceal....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some input

i would also look at the glocks. g26 (9mm), g27(.40), and/or g36 (45acp). all are small guns and eazy to conceal.

2. Remove Ads

As previously presented, try to get your hands on as many in your set of interested-in prospects. Read as much as you can regarding the calibers and their pros and cons. Consider what your purpose in carrying is, and where you will carry. Mull that around. Read some more. Hands-on some more. Then go out and buy the gun of your dreams (if you can afford it) or the one you simply can afford. Then practice, practice, practice. After a while you will realize one of three things: either you did in fact buy your perfect handgun, or your gun just became a frame of reference by which you can measure your new dream gun, or that you need other guns to meet different purposes you have in mind. Oh, yeah! There's a fourth scenario: you realize you need additonally to carry a BUG (back-up gun).

I carry a Kimber Ultra CDP II in either IWB or pocket holster depending on how I am able to attire that particular day. While I prefer the IWB for comfort, sometimes it's not practical. Get the right pants to carry in a pocket to minimize printing if you choose to go this route. Have fun! It's part of the journey! ---Jeff

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Funny, but when I was trying to narrow down my choices for which pistol I wanted to carry, I had the same three you mentioned on my list. I had considered the Kimber Pro Carry .. but when all was said and done, I went with the Kimber Ultra Carry with the 3 inch barrel.

And with it, I'm as pleased as Ralphie on Christmas morning.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

I own, and have carried, quite a variety of pistols over the years, and I've now arrived at a Kimber Ultra CDPII, with which I'm very pleased. I've settled on the 1911 as a platform, because of its slimness and concealability(even with a big caliber), single action only (cocked & locked w/ positive safeties), and "feel" (entirely subjective).

In your price range, you might (as Ride4TheBrand mentioned) consider a Kimber Ultra Carry, or a comparable model by another quality manufacturer. You should at least try a 1911 as a point of comparison.

Along with some of the other good suggestions (Sig & HK), if you have the chance, check out the Baby Eagle by Magnum Reasearch. I've got the Uzi Eagle variant in .40 S & W, a very good, reliable shooter. The Baby Eagle can be had in .45 ACP or 9mm also. Mine is the full-size steel frame. A compact, polymer frame is also available.

Best of luck in choosing the weapon that's right for you. Then, go out and shoot it. A lot!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I have a question concerning the H&K USP Compact. I've been looking at the magazines for it and so far, I've only found extended floorplate magazines for it. Where would I be able to purchase a flat floorplate magazine?

If size is a critical factor, then get a Kahr or a S&W J-frame, otherwise, I would recommend that you forget about whether one gun is a tenth of an inch thicker than the other, and focus on much more important aspects of the firearm, such as trigger type, layout of the controls and overall fit.

Once you have a short-list, then I would recommend that you rent them and shoot them... this can result in a rude awakening or sealed deal.

Another thing that you might want to consider is after-market support... but I never do (hehe).

There is the new Kahr TP40 that would give you a good medium round, is thin due to being an single stack, is very simplistic as there is no thumb or grip safeties, just point and pull the trigger.

Additionally it's stainless metal parts and polymer frame so wearing it up against your body is of little concern and is greatly reduce in weight in comparision to all metal firearm of the same size.

I have a TP9 and would have bought the 40 had they made them when i purchased the 9mm, but with that said I'm approximately your size (just a little heavier at 175lbs) and I can bearly tell that I have it on me and much more important, no one else can either.

Whatever is comfortable for you coupled with "every time" reliability. Try to shoot/handle as many as you can. I share a similar frame and go with a Kahr P9 for carry...but that's me.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I agree with most everyone else here. All guns you mention are top-notch pieces.

Go with the one that feels the best in your hand.

Happy shooting!

Knight,

I am the same exact size and weight you are. However I have gorilla sized hands. I have just learned to shoot pistols with small grips. The reason is that it is hard to hide a big thick pistol on my skinny hide. Here in Texas, it is mostly hot, and I like to wear shorts and a T-shirt.

That being said, I have gotten to where I carry two guns sometimes and one gun all the time. The gun I sometimes pack is my XD-40 SC. It is my “church gun”. I have a belt mounted side holster that conceals it completely.

Since I have three boys, age 9, 5 and 2, they are always standing “under my gun”. I keep wear this gun with nothing in the pipe. It is easy to get to, but not as easy as my pocket pistol. It is a Kel-Tec P-3AT. It is double action only, and I feel very comfortable keeping it loaded at all times. The Kel-Tec is so compact; I can pack in my swimming suit and pajamas!!!

I can put my hand in my pocket with my hand on the grip, and it looks very non-threatening. I can draw it in less than 100 milli-seconds. If time permits, I can draw my XD-40 SC and rack a round.

I have found this to be an excellent solution.

+1 on the XD series. Not that I'm biased or anything (I own 3), but that line is the most comfortable and most natural feeling in my hands.

As far as calibers and sizes:
    The sub-compacts (3" barrel) only come in 9mm or .40S&W calibers.
    The service model (4" barrel) come in 9mm, .357, .40, .45gap, and now .45acp.
    The tactical model (5" barrel) come in 9mm, .357, .40, .45gap, and now .45acp.

That said, most people can conceal the subbies just fine (the whole purpose of a subbie), and many people successfully conceal a 4" model IWB, and even the 5" models. It all comes down to your body frame/size/etc. but it's also partly the quality of holster AND how you dress to conceal. Part of carrying concealed is your attire. Usually you have to change the way you dress a little to accomodate the weapon (you can't change the weapon to accomodate your attire).

The XD series is an excellent line of firearms, all of mine have been 100% reliable, and I'd trust any one of them to protect my life.
    Dave

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    have you looked at the HK p2000sk?
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I haven't looked much at it. I'll research some on it and take a look at it at the range tomorrow.

I recently got rid of my Sig 229 because it was to wide. I don’t like the looks or feel of the H&K very much but have heard from a couple of owners that it is a good reliable gun. I like the 1911 style guns and there are cheaper options available to you in the commander size than a Kimber that will do the job just fine. You may also look at Kahr if you really want small and light.

You have narrowed it down to some excellent pistols, and gotten some great advice already. One more you might consider is the HK USPF 40. When my agency decided on this handgun, I wasn't thrilled. I didn't have or shoot .40 caliber handguns. I'd heard about the nasty, snappy recoil, the "forty short and weak" tales, and the Kaboom in unsupported chamber horror stories. I'd also heard about the inaccuracy of the round from all the "experts". I am a revolver guy. I still carry one frequently. I was raised on the wheel gun. Then the Navy taught me the 1911. For years I used, trained and carried Colt 1911's. Then I bought a few S&W 3rd generation semi auto's, nice pistols those. So after 37 years of shooting and carrying handguns, I'd seen enough, and heard more than enough, to be jaded on what works. I've been with the HK USPF 40 for right at 1 year. It has about 3000 rounds through it. It has yet to malfunction, yea, I am still surprised by this fact. The 40 round, IMHO, is neither snappy nor inaccurate. Based on what I've witnessed, it stops an attacker very efficiently. The gun is light weight, and high cap (13 + 1). I have some other HK's, including a USPF 45, and yes, the grips are not for everyone. Overall, if I'd had the USP 40 sooner, I don't believe I'd have purchased other semi auto handguns. Try one if you get the oppurtunity. My 0.02 , hope it helps. Regards 18DAI.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links