Need some input

This is a discussion on Need some input within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at purchasing my first handgun for carrying. I'm 5'10" 165 lbs just to give you guys (and gals) an idea of what frame ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some input

Need some input

I'm looking at purchasing my first handgun for carrying. I'm 5'10" 165 lbs just to give you guys (and gals) an idea of what frame I'm working with. I am debating between the H&K USP Compact, Sig 220, or the Kimber Custom II (all in 45). I have a price range of around $600. I'm leaning towards the H&K, since the Sig felt a little 'wide' and the Kimber is pretty pricey and large. What are your opinions on it? Thanks!

p.s.. I do not want a Glock because they are, in my opinion, too awkward.

2. Remove Ads

Which ever fits your hand the best.. I carry a 45 1911 fits me the best

Get the one that's the most comfortable for you. That being said, take a look at the XD line of subcompacts. You won't have to spend as much and you'll still get a great pistol!

Ultimately, choose the one that fits your hand best. The guns you mention are by reputable manufacturers and can be expected to perform well. All other things being equal, consider the slimmer gun.

Also, check out the XD Subcompacts. I carry one in 9mm and find it conceals well, fits my hand perfectly and performs well. The .45 ACP does not come in subcompact, but the other calibers do. The grip is shorter than a lot of guns, but the functional part of that can easily be addressed by addition of a Pearce grip extension like I have on mine.

Assistant Administrator
    First off -

Honestly - the fit and feel, ergonomics and manual of arms - are all things that are very personal. We have here on CC folks who pretty much carry the whole range of possible choices - and so in theory about anything might do!!

I and others will always recommend trying out guns wherever you can - friends at range - rentals - even just handling in gun shops. Decide on a budget first (OK $600) - leaving some spare cash for ammo and a rig. Then maybe a caliber decision. Then go try what you can lay hands on.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thank you all for the speedy responses. I'm heading to the range this weekend so I'll keep my eyes open. One quick question, how slim is the Kimber? I know its slimmer than the Sig, but by how much?

Forgot to say hello to everyone

Lead Moderator
    The Kimber will be a bit thinner due to the single stack mag. I prefer a 1911 for this reason. Some will depend on what grips are on the gun. My SA champ has really thin grips.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Kimber/1911 thickness

Knight asked how wide the Kimber is compared to a Sig P220. The Kimber is 0.90 inches thick through the slide, from flat to flat. And the grip area is normally 1.20 inches thick, with "normal" grip panels. However, by using the "slimline" grip panels and bushings, a 1911 grip is about 1.00 inches wide. So 1911s are about the slimmest of the large guns.

I don't have a Sig P220, but I just measured a Sig P226, which has a similar slide. The slide is almost exactly 1.00 inches wide from flat to flat. The frame is wider, and on the double stack P226 it measures about 1.30 inches wide through the grip area. I think the P220 is narrower, however, as it has a single stack magazine. I would guess the P220 is about 1.20 inches wide, having handled them before.

Of the 3 guns you mentioned in your original posting, I think you will find the H&K USP compact to be the smallest and lightest in weight, if that is your objective. The USP compact is a little wider than the 1911, however.

Thank you pogo2 for your input. I was not able to find any manuals or specs that mentioned how wide the 1911 grip is. Now I know

Go with...

whatever is most comfortable. I have owned a Kimber Stainless II (stainless steel version of the custom II), own a H&K USP compact in 9mm, and have shot quite a few sigs. They are all great guns! Any would be a great choice. The Kimbers are straight shooters and have those great 1911 triggers, but the other two are reliable, and also very accurate. The H&K has a great feel to it and I think you would be lucky to have one. I would personally choose whichever fits you better. I figure it this way, go with what you can shoot the best and figure out a good way to conceal it. People conceal all of these guns (even Govt. 1911s) everday. So if you can, shoot with them all, and whichever you like the most, GET IT! And then figure out how to conceal it.

PS- I have concealed both the H&K and the Kimber in IWB holsters with a light t-shirt and no one was the wiser.

Good luck, they are all great guns.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

You have a pretty good selection and you couldn't go wrong with any of them. I personally have a SIG 220 and I find them to be thinner and less bulky than any of the USPs. I rented a USP and they seemed to be very wide and the grip checkering is a little sharp. I love my 220 and can't recommend it enough.

And I love 1911s, but either the SIG or HK might be better for your first carry weapon. 1911s tend to need a little more upkeep and can be more problematic.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Here's one to consider, when you get to where you can look and check out various pistols. A CZ75, time proven design, very good price wise, comes in 9mm or .40S&W several models. Just a thought that's one more to look at.

I'd say either a SIG PRO, Sig 239, H&K P2000/2000SK, H&K USP Compact...

I love 1911's but can't convince myself that when I would need it most I'll run into some kinda issue and or it would spend more time getting tinkered with to make it trick then on my side...

H&K/Sig/Glock to me are non-tinker good to go from the box...
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

1911- The Ultimate Fighting tool for close range defensive use. I prefer Colt and I have tried many but Springfield, Kimber and S&W make good examples. Try alot of weapons. handle as many as possible and then get a Colt and be done with it.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I consider Weight as more Important a factor for a carry gun
    than size.

The heavier pistols limit your carry methods more, and restrict
    the type of concealment clothing you can effectively use.

As an Extreme example , most people wouldn't carry a Full size
    1911 strapped to their ankle ,or stuck in their front pants pocket ,
    nor would they try to conceal it in their swim trunks at the beach.

Of course there's no Law saying you cant have more than 1
    carry gun.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links