Looking at a couple of options

This is a discussion on Looking at a couple of options within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My original intention was to keep my M&P40c after S&W offered to give it a thorough once over however I received a good offer to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at a couple of options

Looking at a couple of options

My original intention was to keep my M&P40c after S&W offered to give it a thorough once over however I received a good offer to sell it and the more I thought about it the more I thought I would never be at ease carrying a gun that had a major mechanical malfunction. So, It has gone bye bye and here I sit with a pile of cash in my hand. I also received a nice a rather substantial gift card to my local gun shop so I am in pretty good shape to go buy whatever I want. Here are the three option I am leaning towards most heavily.

1. Carry my 101 as my primary EDC (I REALLY love my SP-101) and purchase a S&W642. I could carry the 642 in addition to my SP101 if I was going to be in a higher risk AO. It would also give me a pocket gun in which I don't have at the moment as I just couldn't get the hang of shooting the Ruger LCP.

2. Carry my 101 as my primary EDC (I REALLY love my SP-101) and purchase a Glock 23. I could carry the Glock 23 instead of the SP-101 if going to a higher risk AO. I could also use the Glock 23 as my primary night stand gun meaning I could have a mostly permanent night stand gun with a light attached.

3. Stop carrying my SP-101 as primary EDC and purchase a Glock 27. This would give me a higher capacity (and slightly less potent) EDC as well as night stand gun.

What do you folks think?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Rollo,

If you REALLY love your SP-101, keep it. Go with option 1 or 2.

Option 1: It is always nice to have a pocket gun.

Option 2: A higher capacity pistol is very reassuring for those zombie manifestations or the bump in the night situations.

Personally, I would go with Option 2. But, that's just me.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Option #1, you can have 10 rounds of fire and a backup, no need for more ammo carried in magazine or speed clip. I am not fond of the trigger of a glock for in the waistband carry.

Have you considered a Kahr in 9MM, 40 or 45? They are great guns and have a trigger similar to your revolvers. I have a 642 and a PM9 they are a great combination and easy to go back and forth. I am thinking of getting rid of my G19 and getting a PM45, I never carry the G19 it is to big IWB for me.

I want a SP-101 as my next revolver, I like the 642 for everyday carry with the Clip Draw, I want the power of the 357 in the 3" barrel for outdoors and CCW.

I love revolvers... did i mention that i love revolvers??? I would carry the SP 101 if you shoot it well, and go with a Smith 642 or 442 as one of your options stated. I own both smiths and carry both daily. I use a Desantis nemesis pocket holster, and cut down some of the extra material on sides to make it fit into all of my pants pockets. They are stiched in a way that it does not compromise integrity of holster... a little super glue to glue ends shut, and away you go. Carrying speed strips in 38 special would fit either gun in case of zombie attacks. Good luck with your decision... make the decision last a long time, thinking about what gun you are going to buy next is a wonderful time. bunker

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Very tough decision since all three options are very good and well thought out. I'd say go with option # 2. This way you can continue carrying your Ruger SP-101 which is a fantastic weapon and then have a Glock 23 when going to a higher risk area and for a solid night stand gun. Later on I also recommend you get the S&W 642 or 442 as a pocket gun when you need deep concealment.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Very tough decision since all three options are very good and well thought out. I'd say go with option # 2. This way you can continue carrying your Ruger SP-101 which is a fantastic weapon and then have a Glock 23 when going to a higher risk area and for a solid night stand gun. Later on I also recommend you get the S&W 642 or 442 as a pocket gun when you need deep concealment.
    Yeah, that's kind of the way I'm leaning as well. Get the 23 now and then as a tax return present to myself get a 642. SP-101,642 and 23 covers me for just about any handgun situation I can think of.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I say get a 654 or 442 and....the Glock 23 (since you didn't like the grip on the 26, you won't like the grip on the 27).

I like the idea bunker had, being you can carry .38's in a speed strip and use in either the sp101 or the 642/442. So you would have 15 rounds on you with two guns and a speed strip.

I also like the 23 for night stand idea also.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Rollo...
    I knew that you'd be coming back to Glock sooner or later!!!!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Since you love the SP101, and have more confidence in revolvers, I would add a Crimson Trace laser to the 101 (for night stand duty), and get yourself a 642 for the pocket. I can carry that 642 just about everywhere, and forget it's in my pocket.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    SP-101,642 and 23 covers me for just about any handgun situation I can think of.
    Right on!!! With those three, you've got a very versatile carry combo. The 642 is probably the most versatile carry gun there is and it would serve you well for a pocket gun in summer, coat pocket gun in winter, and secondary access to either of the other two weapons. Can also be carried on the ankle. You get that set-up, you're covered.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

You mention some excellent guns...

I have both a 642 and a Glock 23, but not the G27. I find the G23 to be very reliable and reassuring, with its large capacity magazine and significant caliber. But of course it is a little harder to conceal than your other guns mentioned. I have usually worn it OWB at 3:30 with a good cover garment, and it is comfortable and concealable in that mode. I don't carry the G23 IWB.

The 642 is very versatile and lightweight, with many modes of carry. I prefer it IWB at appendix position and it is thin enough to easily do that in a Comp-Tac 2 O'clock holster. I'll carry it as my primary in a low risk environment.

I think you should eventually get both a 642 and a G23 to go with your SP101 - then you would have all the bases covered. As for which you get first - personal preference.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Rollo...
    I knew that you'd be coming back to Glock sooner or later!!!!
    Don't worry, I got rollo pegged as a rover. He will leave Glock again soon, just give it a couple months! j/k
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Option 1.
    NRA Life Member

Rollo - Two carry guns are always better than just one. Of the options you listed, I'd go with #1...assuming you could carry the S&W as a secondary in your pocket or on an ankle (I really hate ankle carry, but...) in addition to your SP101 as a primary.

Betcha some of you here didn't see that coming...me not recommending a Glock?!

I'd get the Glock later, when you get your tax refund. I'd go with the G27...you can always "upsize" the baby Glocks for HD use with a longer barrel, larger mag, etc...but they are easier to carry concealed than their larger cousins.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Rollo - Two carry guns are always better than just one. Of the options you listed, I'd go with #1...assuming you could carry the S&W as a secondary in your pocket or on an ankle (I really hate ankle carry, but...) in addition to your SP101 as a primary.

Betcha some of you here didn't see that coming...me not recommending a Glock?!

I'd get the Glock later, when you get your tax refund. I'd go with the G27...you can always "upsize" the baby Glocks for HD use with a longer barrel, larger mag, etc...but they are easier to carry concealed than their larger cousins.
    You caught me by surprise!!! I carry my 442 in tandem with a wide variety of other handguns (including my SP101). Of the Glocks, my favorite is the G23. It feels better in my hand than the 27 and I don't find it any more difficult to carry. I don't have one, but my buddy does and I shoot his a bit. If I were going to get one, I'd opt for an early Gen 3 or before. I've read a lot of issues with the 4th gens from recoil springs, mag springs, to MIM parts breaking (striker stop in slide...someone indicated it was easier to replace this part than a whole slide. I'm not much on designed weakness for ease of replacement).

FYI....The Ruger SP101 is one of the very few current handguns that contains NO MIM or IC parts.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links