Colt New agent

Colt New agent

This is a discussion on Colt New agent within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had a few colt 1911's and I am curious about the new agent. does anyone that has one like the groved slide??? I ...

Thread: Colt New agent

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

Colt New agent

I have had a few colt 1911's and I am curious about the new agent. does anyone that has one like the groved slide??? I would like to buy one but don't konw if I will be able to deal with not having sights. My friend just got his Kimber Ultra carry today and even though I swore off 1911's under 4" cuz I just haven't gotten along with them in the past I really like his! so I thought why not grab a colt. I was looking at one today but can't decide if I can get along with not having sights. I know one person who owns one and he does like his anyone hear have one that can give me more insight on owning this gun.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    Don't have an Agent, but I would go with a Defender, for the sights... Colt's have always been my favorite 1911... I had a Tactical Ultra II. It was flawless after the first 100 rounds, but those came after leaving the gun shop and going straight to the range. I sold it because I was having trouble shooting it due to medical reasons.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Don't have an Agent, but I would go with a Defender, for the sights... Colt's have always been my favorite 1911... I had a Tactical Ultra II. It was flawless after the first 100 rounds, but those came after leaving the gun shop and going straight to the range. I sold it because I was having trouble shooting it due to medical reasons.
    I am with you on the sights! Though they would not snag at all, it seems tough to be accurate with the new agent type of sights. By the way, I love Colt 1911's too!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I had one and ended up selling it.

First, I loved how it carried because it's an alloy frame and supper light, however, it had some pretty snappy recoil as a result. I would get some FTF's every once in a while and I began to suspect it was due to limpwristing coupled with the light weight which contributed to a lot of muzzle flip.

The trench sight sounded like a good idea at first and I got to be pretty good with it but now in hind sight I think it's a really bad idea. Here's why. In a real defensive situation you're likely going to be point shooting. Not using sights of any kind. At the range and at other times you're going to try to "aim" the gun. If I'm going to do that I'd like to have conventional sights just like all the rest. I can/did "sight" the gun using the trench but it's not as accurate that way.

I sold the gun because of all this. Flash forward a year and a half and I now have a Rock Island Armory 1911 w/3.5" barrel. It's all steel and I don't get the muzzle flip or recoil I had with the new agent. It's heavier on the belt but okay with good leather and a good belt. The GI sights are too small so I'll be replacing them with night sights but I practice point shooting more nowadays because I believe that's the reality of civilian SD.

Having said all of that, I think the Colt New Agent in 9mm with sights would be the ultimate little gun. they offer it in 9mm but with the trench. I did find a guy who could fill in the trench with metal and then add sights but it was expensive.

If you want a .45 that won't ever snag for serious close range point shooting SD and you can handle the light weight, then there isn't a better gun than the Colt New Agent but I belive this gun fills a very narrow nich.

If I wanted a light weight, compact Colt, I'd probably buy a defender and have it refinished because I don't like how the frame is such a different color than the slide.

I've even considered getting a 9mm defender and having it refinished.

Just some things to consider.

Gideon

I've had mine about a year and I love it. Fits well in my hand, carries well, and I like the way it shoots even without traditional sights. I've had two FTEs; one from my limp wrist and the other from my buddy's limp wrist. Besides that, it's been flawless.

If you're really worried about the sights, I suggest getting the Defender, having it refinished, and getting some different grips. But stick to a .45.

I am really having a difficult time deciding on a carry short 1911. Just hope I pick the right one the first time! The RIA3.5 is one I am looking at.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I have the Defender and love it. My buddy has the new agent and put the Crimson Trace grip laser on it and it works great!

It would be pretty hard to go wrong with the Defender. The only drawback that some may find is the price.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

I have had a New Agent for two years and love it.

It's been super accurate and very reliable. The trench sights took about two mags of ammo to get used to.

It's a point and shoot pistol for "up close and personal defense situations of the very nasty kind."

If I want to target shoot, I'll take my Python.

[IMG][/IMG]
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have the Rock Island Armory in 4" and the compact 3.5". I'm still in the "qualifying" phase with the compact. I can shoot it soooo much better than my old New Agent becasue of the weight. I think they're an excellent value but the Colt had class

If you can manage the recoil and do well with followup shots with the New Agent, then I don't think there's a better "all business" dedicated SD gun out there.

Gideon

Dragman

I have both a RIA 3.5 tactical and a Colt Defender in .45 ACP and they are both great guns for the $$. I prefer to carry the Colt as it's a lighter pistol, and yes it a little classier. But in the middle of a gunfight I don't care about class. I just want a gun that relaible and accurate which both are. So if it ever hit the fan I would grab the one that is closest to me.

What I'm saying is that the Colt is nicer and lighter. But if you don't have the extra $$ for it. The 3.5 RIA tactical will serve you very well. I like them both.

Quote Originally Posted by ksblazer View Post
    Dragman

I have both a RIA 3.5 tactical and a Colt Defender in .45 ACP and they are both great guns for the $$. I prefer to carry the Colt as it's a lighter pistol, and yes it a little classier. But in the middle of a gunfight I don't care about class. I just want a gun that relaible and accurate which both are. So if it ever hit the fan I would grab the one that is closest to me.

What I'm saying is that the Colt is nicer and lighter. But if you don't have the extra $$ for it. The 3.5 RIA tactical will serve you very well. I like them both.
    Thanks! Money isn't a problem. the colt has that special something I gotta have. Probably grab a RIA for a backup when I changeover to carrying the 1911.

I've been carrying mine for about a year now and I love it. It's easy to hide and shoots without any issues at all. You do have to remember that it isn't a target gun. If you want to shoot bowling pins at 25 yards you want something else. But for short range point and shoot work it's perfect. At least for me. Your mileage may vary.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    What I think would be a really good idea is a widened gutter sight with a slim fiberoptic front sight blade. That way you could aim with a front sight and use the gutter sight as the rear sight to align it.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Sponsored Links