Reccomend a .22 wheel gun

This is a discussion on Reccomend a .22 wheel gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to pick up a .22 wheel gun as a training analog for my SP-101 and S&W 642 (Which I will be purchasing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reccomend a .22 wheel gun

I would like to pick up a .22 wheel gun as a training analog for my SP-101 and S&W 642 (Which I will be purchasing tomorrow :). I know very little about them. Any suggestions?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Heres my vote Rollo.

I have one and couldn't be happier.
    I have a hard time getting it away from my kids,(21,17,15) to shoot the dang thing myself.

Bought it used from a co-worker for $250, with both cylinders. Its blued w/5 in. barrel.
    Only reason he sold it was because the GS he part times at got a nickel one in.

New Model Single-Six®

Strong, Durable, Dependable, and Versatile. New Model Single-Six® revolvers are the perfect small bore single-action revolver for plinking, small game hunting or serious competition. Chambered in either .22 LR, .22 Magnum, or .17 HMR, these great single-action revolvers come in a variety of barrel lengths, finishes, sights, and grips.

All .22 caliber models come with two cylinders (one in .22 LR and one in .22 Magnum) for increased versatility. Hunter models are equipped with an integral barrel rib for rigid mounting of Ruger scope rings (supplied at no extra charge).

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...Six/index.html

It is single action only though, don't know if that will dissuade you at all.Other than that, I was looking at a Charter Arms .22lr revolver a couple months before I got the single six, at another GS by me and they wanted $350.
    That was in the summer of 2010.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Not sure a .22 revolver would be a good training analog for a .357 mag or a .38. Different trigger (depending what you get), vastly different recoil, different cylinder capacity (most .22 revolvers hold 6-10 rounds, while most .38/.357 snubbies hold 5). The S&W .22 revolvers are pricey, too. Better bet might be some cheap wadcutter .38 ammo to use in your current revolvers.

I bought an old, used Iver Johnson Sealed Target 8 .22 revolver last year for $150. Nice plinker and loads of fun, but I would not consider it "training."

Merry Christmas!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

For over 30 years I have enjoyed my S&W Model 34 Kit Gun .22LR, 2" barrel, adjustable sight. Typical J-frame S&W revolver, so everything works just like the centerfire models. Slips into a vest pocket while hunting and fishing. I've eaten dozens of meals on cottontails, snowshoe hares, and grouse taken with the .22 Kit Gun at ranges up to 30 yards or so.

That said, I don't consider it a training piece. I train with what I carry, and carry what I have trained with.

Best regards.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Heres my vote Rollo.

I have one and couldn't be happier.
    I have a hard time getting it away from my kids,(21,17,15) to shoot the dang thing myself.

Bought it used from a co-worker for $250, with both cylinders. Its blued w/5 in. barrel.
    Only reason he sold it was because the GS he part times at got a nickel one in.

New Model Single-Six®

Strong, Durable, Dependable, and Versatile. New Model Single-Six® revolvers are the perfect small bore single-action revolver for plinking, small game hunting or serious competition. Chambered in either .22 LR, .22 Magnum, or .17 HMR, these great single-action revolvers come in a variety of barrel lengths, finishes, sights, and grips.

All .22 caliber models come with two cylinders (one in .22 LR and one in .22 Magnum) for increased versatility. Hunter models are equipped with an integral barrel rib for rigid mounting of Ruger scope rings (supplied at no extra charge).

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...Six/index.html

It is single action only though, don't know if that will dissuade you at all.Other than that, I was looking at a Charter Arms .22lr revolver a couple months before I got the single six, at another GS by me and they wanted $350.
    That was in the summer of 2010.
    Thanks for the suggestion but the being single action kind of kills it for me. I'm looking for more of a training analog for my SP-101 and S&W 642 to double action is a must.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have three .22 wheelguns, a Single Six and a pair of Smith & Wessons - a J-frame M63 and a K-frame M17.

I'll buck the trend and suggest that the M63 (stainless 22/32 Kit Gun) is an excellent training piece for mastering a revolver's DA trigger and doing so without developing a flinch. This one is a 6-shooter (unlike the newer models), and you can get HKS speedloaders to practice your reloads as well. I bought mine for my lady, and it's a 4-inch but they were made with 2" and 6" barrels as well. I got lucky and found this one on GunBroker for about $400 a while back.
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I don't have one now but at one time I owned a Charter Arms Pathfinder. It won't break the bank when you buy it and just might meet your needs.
    http://www.charterfirearms.com/produ...mbo_62240.html

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Not sure a .22 revolver would be a good training analog for a .357 mag or a .38. Different trigger (depending what you get), vastly different recoil, different cylinder capacity (most .22 revolvers hold 6-10 rounds, while most .38/.357 snubbies hold 5). The S&W .22 revolvers are pricey, too. Better bet might be some cheap wadcutter .38 ammo to use in your current revolvers.

I bought an old, used Iver Johnson Sealed Target 8 .22 revolver last year for $150. Nice plinker and loads of fun, but I would not consider it "training."

Merry Christmas!
    ^^^^I think what Rollo may mean, is that he wants something to shoot thats cheap in ammo for a lot more trigger time.????????/
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Ruger SP101 is available in a 6 shot .22 but it's pricey, as is any S&W revolver you find. The closest thing you would find would be a Taurus snubby but we all know what that will get you.

We recently picked up this gem for $235 plus the tax and paper work etc. But the DA pull is pretty hard.

NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^I think what Rollo may mean, is that he wants something to shoot thats cheap in ammo for a lot more trigger time.????????/
    Yep. I'm looking for the most amount of trigger time I can get on a trigger that is most like my primary carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I have three .22 wheelguns, a Single Six and a pair of Smith & Wessons - a J-frame M63 and a K-frame M17.

I'll buck the trend and suggest that the M63 (stainless 22/32 Kit Gun) is an excellent training piece for mastering a revolver's DA trigger and doing so without developing a flinch. This one is a 6-shooter (unlike the newer models), and you can get HKS speedloaders to practice your reloads as well. I bought mine for my lady, and it's a 4-inch but they were made with 2" and 6" barrels as well. I got lucky and found this one on GunBroker for about $400 a while back.
    I am with Gasmitty as the model 63 is a nice shooter and it's a smith.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Yep. I'm looking for the most amount of trigger time I can get on a trigger that is most like my primary carry.
    Then get laser grips, snap caps, and dry fire away!

I'm a bit out of my comfort zone, but here's another idea - can you get a cylinder that will take 9mm with moon clips? Cheaper practice than with .38 or .357, to be sure. Would be useful as a defensive option if .38/.357 became scarce as well. Just a thought.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have a Taurus model 94... great little snub, 9 shot 22 lr. bunker

I have two; a Smith and Wesson model 34, 1 7/8", a Taurus model 94. Both great guns

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Ruger SP101 is available in a 6 shot .22 but it's pricey, as is any S&W revolver you find. The closest thing you would find would be a Taurus snubby but we all know what that will get you.

We recently picked up this gem for $235 plus the tax and paper work etc. But the DA pull is pretty hard.

Exactly what I used to have, was going to suggest, and a fine little plinker. Plenty accurate enough to pop squirrels out of treetops and 9 rounds to boot.

Any trigger time is good practice. I usually put 100 rds of .22 thru my G30 AA conversion kit after the .45s run out!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links