Can I ask a question about the 1911 ?? - Page 3

Can I ask a question about the 1911 ??

This is a discussion on Can I ask a question about the 1911 ?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lima did a video series about 1911 safeties. Well she was talking about how to spot a real 1911 but none the less... Look at ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I ask a question about the 1911 ??

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Lima did a video series about 1911 safeties. Well she was talking about how to spot a real 1911 but none the less... Look at 4:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQtT8...B5BDA&index=18

EDIT: She didn't mention the fire pin safety on 80 series 1911's
    Last edited by razor02097; December 26th, 2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: added edit
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post
    I've never owned or handled a 1911, but I've been reading about them and I have some questions about using them as a SD weapon.

I may be wrong, but what I've picked up so far about a 1911 is that it's a SAO firearm.

Therefore I know of three ways to carry the 1911

1) Hammer at rest (decocked), would need to be cocked before firing

2) Cocked with safety off and ready to fire

3) Cocked and locked (I'm guessing this means cocked with the safety on).

None of these scenarios seems as good to me as a DAO firearm.

#1 Would not allow quick use of the firearm if needed

#2 Seems very dangerous to me

#3 Seems overly complicated. One would need to be able to take the safety off very quickly in a stressful situation (and remember to put it back on).

In all of these situations, there seems to be a higher risk than with a DAO firearm. Cocking, decocking, assuring the safety is on or off at the right times.

So, in summary why is the 1911 such a beloved firearm for SD ?

I'm not trying to start a war here, everyone has opinions, and that's great. I just want to know if there is something I don't understand.

Otherwise it seems like my M&P is a better choice for me.

Thanks !!
    I bought an M&P back in the summer and I absolutely love it. Having said that, NO pistol has a trigger like a 1911. The 1911's trigger moves in a linear fashion as opposed to having that "swing" action. I've owned two 1911's, a 3-inch Colt Defender and now a 5-inch Springfield Loaded Stainless. Both of these are more accurate (in my hands) than the M&P and the XD 45 Compact.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    But, this is just one of those one humped camel vs. two humped camel things. It boils down to whatever grabs you best.
    Not so. The two-hump models have been statistically proven superior in every way.

Not trying to start a camel hump war.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Not so. The two-hump models have been statistically proven superior in every way.

Not trying to start a camel hump war.
    No! No! No! Single hump models have a centered hump for better balance and better riding over rough terrain. Anyone who has ever ridden a single humper for more than a few miles knows that the ride is much smoother! Two humpers are dumpers!

I swear you two humper guys think that just by adding a double stacked hump (and higher capacity) you get a better camel. You forget about the thin feel of a single hump camel and how well it points (down the trail). Not to mention the above mentioned ride-ability.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post
    I've never owned or handled a 1911, but I've been reading about them and I have some questions about using them as a SD weapon.

I may be wrong, but what I've picked up so far about a 1911 is that it's a SAO firearm.

Therefore I know of three ways to carry the 1911

1) Hammer at rest (decocked), would need to be cocked before firing

2) Cocked with safety off and ready to fire

3) Cocked and locked (I'm guessing this means cocked with the safety on).

None of these scenarios seems as good to me as a DAO firearm.

#1 Would not allow quick use of the firearm if needed

#2 Seems very dangerous to me

#3 Seems overly complicated. One would need to be able to take the safety off very quickly in a stressful situation (and remember to put it back on).

In all of these situations, there seems to be a higher risk than with a DAO firearm. Cocking, decocking, assuring the safety is on or off at the right times.

So, in summary why is the 1911 such a beloved firearm for SD ?

I'm not trying to start a war here, everyone has opinions, and that's great. I just want to know if there is something I don't understand.

Otherwise it seems like my M&P is a better choice for me.

Thanks !!
    Carrying with the hammer down on a live round is VERY dangerous, or even with the trigger on the half-cock. So forget that option. Basically, you carry it Cocked and Locked or with no round chambered and then rack the slide after drawing - not good for time factor. So, it's Cocked & Locked. That to me is not dangerous as it has redundant safeties, and the basic one: can't fire the weapon unless you pull the trigger.
    BUT: they DO take a LOT of practice and work on knowledge of the gun's operation and it's hard to CCW that SA in rotation with others unless it's another 1911 - because you'd need to differentiate different actions depending on the gun you have which could make for confusion in an emergency.

You also have to learn when to take off the manual safety and to really keep your finger out of the trigger-guard until ready to fire because it's now but a short trigger pull with little resistance to BANG!.

So, I'd recommend a point and shoot Semi-Auto like a Glock or others with that action - or a revolver, arguably the safest for a "new-comer" or anyone to use.

A 1911 has a great natural pointing feel and you get very rapid, repeat shots, and as an SA gun is easy to shoot accurately, so that is what you lose. Plus many love the platform. If you can, shoot a 1911 and then a DA auto or revolver. Make your own comparison. Just know with the 1911 you will need a LOT of practice and knowledge.

"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. That noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel whose ruggedness, dependability and ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs, and that, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals as it was in 1917."

Jeff Cooper,1968
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    No! No! No! Single hump models have a centered hump for better balance and better riding over rough terrain. Anyone who has ever ridden a single humper for more than a few miles knows that the ride is much smoother! Two humpers are dumpers!

I swear you two humper guys think that just by adding a double stacked hump (and higher capacity) you get a better camel. You forget about the thin feel of a single hump camel and how well it points (down the trail). Not to mention the above mentioned ride-ability.
    It always happens that when you first start out across the desert, you make a couple of false starts. If you are on a single, you're dead. You may think, "I'm a professional. I've practiced this a million times. I know what I'm doing." BS. Cross the desert a couple of times, then come talk to me.

Have any of you single-humpers read "More Humps, Less Time" by Sheik Lott? I didn't think so. Educate yourself.

A double will see you through. Capacity wins every day...
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

I think the fact that 3 of the most popular CCW/defensive guns (Glock, 1911, and J Frame revolver) couldn't be more different says it all. Everyone has to find what works best for them, and then practice practice practice.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Administrator
    OK....Can we get off of Camel Humps and back onto topic? The thread is starting to get cluttered up with unrelated Off Topic comments.

Posts #7 and #19 should be saved and automatically posted to any thread started that questions cocked & locked carry of a 1911 or whether a pistol carried for self defense should have a round in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    When was the last time that you entered a dark room at night in your house and "forgot" to flip the light switch on?
    When was the last time you pulled up to a Red Light and neglected to put your foot on the brake? .......
    When was the last time you forgot to hold your pee ???

Ever hear of someone so frightened that they pee'd on themselves ??

SH*T happens when you think you are about to die...

Administrator
    "When was the last time you forgot to hold your pee ???"

Trigger Control - Bladder Control. Two of my strongest life attributes.

Ha Ha - Priceless !!

VIP Member

He has the best prostate in the land! LOL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

When was the last time you forgot to hold your pee ???
    I did not forget. It is a planned response on my part to distract my attacker while I plan my response. Its not as easy as one might think to do it on demand. Try it sometime when walking in the mall. I bet you cannot do it. Thats why I practice it along with my shooting abilities.

Michael

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links