Can I ask a question about the 1911 ??

This is a discussion on Can I ask a question about the 1911 ?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never owned or handled a 1911, but I've been reading about them and I have some questions about using them as a SD weapon. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I ask a question about the 1911 ??

Can I ask a question about the 1911 ??

I've never owned or handled a 1911, but I've been reading about them and I have some questions about using them as a SD weapon.

I may be wrong, but what I've picked up so far about a 1911 is that it's a SAO firearm.

Therefore I know of three ways to carry the 1911

1) Hammer at rest (decocked), would need to be cocked before firing

2) Cocked with safety off and ready to fire

3) Cocked and locked (I'm guessing this means cocked with the safety on).

None of these scenarios seems as good to me as a DAO firearm.

#1 Would not allow quick use of the firearm if needed

#2 Seems very dangerous to me

#3 Seems overly complicated. One would need to be able to take the safety off very quickly in a stressful situation (and remember to put it back on).

In all of these situations, there seems to be a higher risk than with a DAO firearm. Cocking, decocking, assuring the safety is on or off at the right times.

So, in summary why is the 1911 such a beloved firearm for SD ?

I'm not trying to start a war here, everyone has opinions, and that's great. I just want to know if there is something I don't understand.

Otherwise it seems like my M&P is a better choice for me.

Thanks !!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm not trying to start a war here, everyone has opinions, and that's great. I just want to know if there is something I don't understand.
    I guess what you don't understand is the feel and shootability of a 1911. You also don't understand how nice the trigger is on a 1911. Also, some people like it's long and PROVEN track record. It's been putting bad guys down without killing it's owners for 100 years.

OBTW the 1911 is designed to be carried cocked and locked. So #3 is the way to go.

Otherwise it seems like my M&P is a better choice for me.
    The M&P is a fine weapon. Go with what you like, but just remember that not everyone is the same.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

OK, Thanks.

Cocked and locked makes the most sense to me.

I think I understand now.

Have a happy Holiday !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post

3) Cocked and locked (I'm guessing this means cocked with the safety on).

#3 Seems overly complicated. One would need to be able to take the safety off very quickly in a stressful situation (and remember to put it back on).
    personally I think number three applies to any firearm with a safety, not just SA/DA ones. This is why I will not own a pistol in a defensive role that has a manual safety.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Simple training as all that is needed. I love when people bring up the issue with a thumb safety and act like it's impossible to do under stress, but never bring up actual aiming! LOL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

For those willing to put in the time and training the 1911 can serve very well.
    The proper way to carry the 1911 or P 35 is with the chamber loaded and the Thumb Safety engaged. The manipulation of the Thumb Safety becomes part of your drawstroke and needs to be an ingrained habit.

Biker

The performance of a weapon is more often than not determined by the proficiency of the operator rather than the idiosyncrasies of the weapon.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Simple training as all that is needed. I love when people bring up the issue with a thumb safety and act like it's impossible to do under stress, but never bring up actual aiming! LOL
    I once watched a guy that was about 50 that had shot nothing but 1911's his entire life forget to take the safety off on all three of his IDPA runs. It was the first time he had ever shot IDPA and been subjected to any type of real stress while drawing/shooting. We like to think that "simple training" is enough but unless we have been in a lethal force confrontation before the truth is we have NO idea how we will react. I like to minimize the amount of things that could possibly go wrong. A manual safety is one of those things I can do without.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I once watched a guy that was about 50 that had shot nothing but 1911's his entire life forget to take the safety off on all three of his IDPA runs. It was the first time he had ever shot IDPA and been subjected to any type of real stress while drawing/shooting. We like to think that "simple training" is enough but unless we have been in a lethal force confrontation before the truth is we have NO idea how we will react. I like to minimize the amount of things that could possibly go wrong. A manual safety is one of those things I can do without.
    Too each his own, only you can understand your own confidence in your abilities and training a long with personal preference. I am just saying that no other handgun has proven it's self more in combat and stressful situations then the 1911. If everyone needed to dumb down their firearms for stressful situations then we can take every single rifle out of combat too. I have full confidence in our troops as well as myself that I can swipe a thumb safety off my 1911 or my AR15 when I need to. Does this make me think that others who want a easier method of operation are wrong? Nope not at all.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    The performance of a weapon is more often than not determined by the proficiency of the operator rather than the idiosyncrasies of the weapon.
    I guess I have to completely disagree with you. I will take Todd Jarret or Jimmie Johnson with a quirky gun or car over me with any gun or car.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I guess I have to completely disagree with you. I will take Todd Jarret or Jimmie Johnson with a quirky gun or car over me with any gun or car.
    I must be missing something. I fail to see how my statement is in conflict with yours.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

GM
    As stated before, the right way to carry a 1911 is cocked and locked. You cannot possibly understand how sweet a 1911 is without first shooting one; the trigger is unique, it is very reliable and accurate. Go to the range and rent a quality 1911, then you will understand. Do not worry about the safety; with practice you will master it.

Concerning “#2 Seems very dangerous to me”: It is dangerous if your are the BG
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I guess what you don't understand is the feel and shootability of a 1911. You also don't understand how nice the trigger is on a 1911. Also, some people like it's long and PROVEN track record. It's been putting bad guys down without killing it's owners for 100 years.
    Our county, Kanawha pop. 250,000 in WVa, is upgrading the sheriff dept with Springfields. I thought they were getting 1911's but they are going to be XD 45's. Oh well, XD makes a good gun too.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I must be missing something. I fail to see how my statement is in conflict with yours.
    LOL I must have read it wrong! hahahahah Doh! We are in total agreement.

Every hunter uses a manual safety. Ever seen how fast you've got to be when a pheasant or quail flushes? The thumb safety becomes automatic if you practice. The example of the guy in IDPA forgetting to disengage his safety just confirms the fact that he's a target shooter and never practiced out of the holster.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links