How many of you have looked, tried, and found that you are only comfortable with 1?

This is a discussion on How many of you have looked, tried, and found that you are only comfortable with 1? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wmhawth . I didn't warm up to Glock until this year. I now have a real love affair going with a Glock ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you have looked, tried, and found that you are only comfortable with 1?

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I didn't warm up to Glock until this year. I now have a real love affair going with a Glock 17.
    Ever since this summer when I carried my g26 on vacation to the beach and submerged in seawate repeatedly, only cleaned it 6 days later(after firing it) I have really started to bond with it. I have alot of faith in its rust resistance and reliability. It has become one of my most carried guns, but my revolvers are my most shot.

2. Remove Ads

Only one for me and its the G19. I do have others, but the G19 is hard to beat for EDC. On a side note, it's nice to see the Brat getting some love. Subi's rock!

VIP Member
    Currently, I own just one revolver as the crop of my former collection is now in the hands of more aspiring shooters’. I simply got tired of collecting and spending on those closet queens. The holsters and the slew of other accessories became more than I wanted or could reasonably afford. If I ever get finished with customizing the one I have, I may adopt another one.

More to the topic, I do prefer the same platform and caliber albeit a slightly different model configuration. On the other hand, I like the one I have so much that I would prefer to have another one customized differently.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "... I know I will always have Glocks. I have had a love/hate affair with them for about 23 years now."

I know that feeling. While I wouldn't call my feelings a "love/hate" affair, I like my Glock 30 but wouldn't say I "love" it. It's done everything I've expected of it (except put every bullet in one ragged hole!) and would trust it more with my life than my accuracy with any pistola! It's been utterly dependable with factory ammo and puts the rounds where I call "close enough"! I like it ... a lot.

The one handgun I did love was a .41 Blackhawk. Powerful, accurate, just felt right in the hand. Sadly, someone wanted it more than I did. I hope the three years in the state pen was worth it. Some day, some time, there'll be another in the corral.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    . . . I carried my g26 on vacation to the beach and submerged in seawate repeatedly, only cleaned it 6 days later(after firing it) I have really started to bond with it. I have alot of faith in its rust resistance and reliability. . .
    That's impressive... Glock rust resistance, I mean.
    Me, I'm way too anal - wouldn't be able to sleep at night until the gun got cleaned, if it had gone for a swim in saltwater !

I understand your point OP and appreciate your decision to go with one pistol platform.

I've been collecting handguns since the mid 1970's when I became old enough to purchase them, FWIW.

Many years later, I have a decent little collection (Colts, BHPs, Berettas, Sigs,S&Ws, HKs, etc) and enjoy them all.

Some I shoot much better than others -- but it's fun (for me) to have a variety of classic sidearms to take to the range.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    I've carried only one platform in over 40 years....... 1911. Not saying at all, that everyone should carry one. I have different 1911's, but in a sudden confrontation, I don't want my muscle memory to be trying to present a 1911, when I switched off that morning, and decided to carry my P226. I'm a firm believer in, and I teach... " carry one platform, and become proficient with it"....
    I would tend to agree with this, that in a crisis situation the last thing your brain is going to be prioritizing is what make and model you holstered that morning. Even more of a critical item if your weapons have manual safeties that must be disengaged.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I think the Hi Point is the Subaru Brat of firearms!
    More of the Yugo. It'll get you where you need to go, but don't use it as a commuter because the one day you can't be late, it will leave you stranded.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    That is like saying I will only drive one make and model of car. Anything mechanical will wear with use and eventually fail beyond repair. Then where are you.

You could also say that you will only ever shoot DA revolvers. Why limit yourself? I doubt if you are incapable of learning a new platform. Shooting isn't that hard.

Could it just be that you have simply found "what works for you"? That is great. Many never find that "perfect" platform.

Here is where I think you limit yourself. To say that you are only comfortable with the Baby Eagle is one thing, but to imply that no other handgun will work for you is absurd. There is no reason that a moderately competent shooter can not pick up virtually any handgun, and within a reasonable amount of practice, be almost, if not just as, good as they are with their primary.

This is not to say that there aren't better quality platforms, or platforms that just work better for you due to physical setup, trigger weight, etc. We are talking competence here, not virtuosity. Can you be competent with another platform? Of course you can.

Stick with what works best for you, but don't limit yourself. You're better than that...
    I have no doubt that if I put in the trigger time and dedicated myself to a different make and model, I could become proficient with it...I would become proficient with it. But I have found nothing that is close to the comfort and function (READ - operation, i.e. safety, SA trigger pull, DA trigger pull...) of my BE, especially as a secondary or fall back carry.

The FNP required a lot of grip changes to avoid catching the slide lock and decocker. The XD was going to require milling of the take down lever and slide lock corners (or upgrade to the XDM) and I had a horrible time with the trigger reset and heavy trigger pull. Both did well in no pressure range time, but in a match (USPSA) our compatibility issues became evident.

I suspect if I had unlimited access to an open range, sufficient time to practice, and the funds to feed the children, it would not be such a big deal. Working 60+ hours a week, and a 2 year waiting list to any gun club within an hours drive is prohibitive of those endeavors.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I didn't mean to exclude ANY other firearm, nor suggest that a person should have only one type of firearm. I have multiple platforms, and enjoy shooting all of them, but choose to carry only one platform. I could become proficient enough with any of them, but I prefer the 1911 platform. Folks, it all comes down to personal preference, plain and simple. What I prefer may not line up with anyone else, and that's fine. By the same token, what someone else likes doesn't have to suit me.

Shoot safely......
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Cool

I carry Glocks the vast majority of the time on and off duty. Ugly as sin but reliable as none other in all conditions. That said my P-35 is my true love and though seldom carried for now will be my primary once I retire.

P25150805.jpg Beauty.....

P26100833.jpg ...and the beasts !

G-19,23 AND 36
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I carry Glocks the vast majority of the time on and off duty. Ugly as sin but reliable as none other in all conditions. That said my P-35 is my true love and though seldom carried for now will be my primary once I retire.

P25150805.jpg Beauty.....

P26100833.jpg ...and the beasts !

G-19,23 AND 36
    Beauty is all in the eyes of the beholder amigo. Here's a couple of beauties from my inventory.
    Attached Images

Nice photos wmhawth. My cell phone cannot get that definition.

My G-19 on the right of my photo has been around since 1994 and is a trusted friend. It is a beast and has never, that's right never failed to feed or extract anything I fed it. Same goes for the G-23 and G-36.

They are beautiful in function and reliability but my P-35 is to me beautiful to the eye and I have never shot a semi auto as well nor had one fit my hand like my Hi Power. With Federal 9-BP ammo it's function is flawless.

Just my opinion but your K-frames are beauty, your Glocks.....beasts.

Have a happy and prosperous New Year.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I would tend to agree with this, that in a crisis situation the last thing your brain is going to be prioritizing is what make and model you holstered that morning. Even more of a critical item if your weapons have manual safeties that must be disengaged.

More of the Yugo. It'll get you where you need to go, but don't use it as a commuter because the one day you can't be late, it will leave you stranded.

I have no doubt that if I put in the trigger time and dedicated myself to a different make and model, I could become proficient with it...I would become proficient with it. But I have found nothing that is close to the comfort and function (READ - operation, i.e. safety, SA trigger pull, DA trigger pull...) of my BE, especially as a secondary or fall back carry.

The FNP required a lot of grip changes to avoid catching the slide lock and decocker. The XD was going to require milling of the take down lever and slide lock corners (or upgrade to the XDM) and I had a horrible time with the trigger reset and heavy trigger pull. Both did well in no pressure range time, but in a match (USPSA) our compatibility issues became evident.

I suspect if I had unlimited access to an open range, sufficient time to practice, and the funds to feed the children, it would not be such a big deal. Working 60+ hours a week, and a 2 year waiting list to any gun club within an hours drive is prohibitive of those endeavors.
    did you ever try a 3rd Gen S&W 45xx, 10xx??

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I like options.
    I like lots of options!
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I used to love my Kimbers, 1911's contained my primary interest. After looking into the Glock-36, my attraction to Glocks began to increase.
    I used my Glock for a couple of courses and finally took Glock's Armorer Course in GA. Now I'm sold on Glocks...pretty sure I'll stay with Glock.
    I won't to what Rollo did...(did you catch this Rollo?)...I'm stickin' with the best Gaston has to offer out of Austria.

For this new year, I've even resolved to trade/sell off my two Kimber EDP's...did I say that?...and invest in a couple more Glocks.
    I think I'm done with 1911's but may also move into the revolver arena jut a bit more.
    Now that my one son is into Glocks, too...I'm thinking of helping increase his stash.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I think the Hi Point is the Subaru Brat of firearms!
    no...the brat was grossly overpriced...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links