need a bit of help ....

need a bit of help ....

This is a discussion on need a bit of help .... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my fil brought out his grandfathers pistol this eve. On the side says 38s&wctge. On the top it says farrington and richardson arms co. Worchester ...

Thread: need a bit of help ....

need a bit of help ....

my fil brought out his grandfathers pistol this eve. On the side says 38s&wctge. On the top it says farrington and richardson arms co. Worchester mass usa. It is a five shot revolver. It breaks at the top with a strange thumb switch. Two questions. Is it valuable and is it worth repairing as the little piece that makes the cylinder rotate is broken. On my phone so no pics atm.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    you may be able to find the parts for the H&R, but finding an ample supply of affordable 38S&W may not be so easy. I had a WWII S&W chambered in 38S&W, originally made for the British officers that had been bored to 38 spl length. Although the 38spl is a smaller diameter round than the 38S&W, a phone call to Roy Jinx at S&W comforted me in that a small dose of lower pressured 38 spls could safely be shot in the old model S&W. Since your's is originally for the 38 S&W cartridge, I would doubt that it's been factory bored for the 38spl, so you would be limited by ammo availability, I would guess.

A gun like that is worth whatever vlaue he, and you want to place on it.

just my previous experience and opinions.

surv

You sure that's not Harrington & Richardson?
    Here's your link for parts. You just need to find the model.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...aspx?catid=229

It might be of value, but the thing is.....most firearms are worth repairing just to get them back to original condition. The pistol's worth lies within you as it does me. If not for functionality.....for historic preservation.

That would be Harrington & Richardson. The revolver fires a .38 Smith & Wesson cartridge (link below). It would probably require making the part as they are probably no longer available. I have no idea on value.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/3...other%2038.htm
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    if you can find the model name, barrel length or any other clue, I would be glad to look it up in the 2008 Blue Book (latest version I have). H&R made a lot of different models from the 1890's and up.... many chambered in the 38S&W .... and most in the $100-250 current value range - with a few exceptions

Senior Moderator
    Does it look like this ?

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Numrich Arms may have the part. They have tons of obsolete gun parts.

Here is the link...... http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Administrator
    Remember that the .38S&W ctge is NOT the same as a .38 S&W Special - or a .38 Special. They are not interchangeable.
    Your Harrington & Richardson .38S&W is chambered for an obsolete cartridge so you may not want to even bother sinking any repair money into it.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    The .38S&W cartridge is not always available but is certainly not obsolete. The gun store where I work keeps a few boxes on hand at all times. We have the reputation of keeping a number of hard-to-find calibers in stock. Most H&R breaktops have shooter value but little collector value.

thank you all for the help. Hot Guns that is exactly what the gun looks like. The engraving is worn so it is very possible I could have confused the h and f. My fil wouldn't ever consider selling the pistol and was just considering fixing it to shoot and connect with his grandfather and to be able to pass down. As with most things that are considered heirlooms, they hold the most value to the family members who receive them. Thank you for all the links. Merry Christmas and have a safe new years all!
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Senior Moderator
    I would definaltey repair it. It may be hard to locate a gunsmith that is willing or knows how to do it though. Its probably the "hand" that rotates the cylinder is just worn off.

Repair it, get some the .38 SW cartridges for it and teach and take your kids out to shoot it. It'll be a fun little gun that they'll remember for their whole lives. The fact that it was their great grandfathers pistol will add to the experience.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sponsored Links