1911's

This is a discussion on 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes we all love them, but I have a question about something i heard that I would really like to know the truth on. I ...

Thread: 1911's

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

1911's

Yes we all love them, but I have a question about something i heard that I would really like to know the truth on. I was told that Kimber and Taurus both have there 1911's machined parts done in S&W's factory??? is this or can this be true???? I have handled both those 1911's (and more) and the kimber is far better over all vs the Taurus, but could the main machining be done in the same place or is this just more gun shop B.S.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If you can believe what the Taurus website says, it's BS.

Destined to become the standard that all 1911 pistols are compared against, the Taurus 1911 offers you the most accurate and feature-laden model on the market today. Starting with our own hammer-forged -not cast - ordnance grade steel frames, slides and barrels, we machine each and every part to tolerance levels that surpass even today's industry standards. Our skilled pistol smiths hand-fit and tune each gun with the 19 standard features seen below, using quality parts that are built 100% in our state-of-the-art factory. Then they mark the slide, barrel and frame with matching serial numbers. Available in the powerful .45 ACP, this aggressive, rock-solid firearm is ready to go right out of the box. The Taurus 1911 is an unbeatable gun that is also an unbeatable value.
    http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...crumbseries=19
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If you can believe what the Taurus website says, it's BS.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...crumbseries=19
    great point. I have handled and shot them but didnt' read up on them on there websight.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Administrator
    Kimber "machined" parts...don't worry there aren't too very many machined parts actually present in a Kimber 1911 pistol. <~~~

VIP Member
    Save yourself a few questions and get a Colt.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Most 1911's or any gun for that matter is going to have mostly MIM parts... They are cheaper to produce and mostly in spec right out of the mold requiring little to no machining.

Nothing wrong with MIM parts... they are affordable and in some cases better because they have distinct advantages. For instance a stainless MIM part out of a mold has a good finish with no machine marks. The molding process can be done in batches with less material waste making production go up and price to go down. It also offers a way to create metal parts with odd or complex shapes like grip safeties, slide stops, sites and main spring housings.

However when it comes to the heart of my 1911 let me have the machined sear, disconnect and hammer...
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Save yourself a few questions and get a Colt.
    Oh there is no question. I have colts! I don't have a problem picking up a a few other 1911's (RIA's, PARA's, Taurus) I am kinda a kimber snob though no matter how nice the kimbers if spending that kinda change I am getting a colt!!!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Kimber "machined" parts...don't worry there aren't too very many machined parts actually present in a Kimber 1911 pistol. <~~~
    Dude you are on fire lately! LOL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Links