Defensive Carry banner

I guess it isn't just the .40's like I have seen here is a G21

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  farronwolf 
#1 ·
Here is a link to an interesting video from Marshall County W-VA in which a duty firearm KABOOM's. Many of you may have seen this already, but I figure I would post it because like many folks I tend to blame Kabooms on the .40.

http://www.wtov9.com/news/21866969/detail.html

#3 ·
Any over-pressure ammo can cause this, not just .40S&W. I had a G21 kaboom on me with over-pressure ammo before. Mine did the exact same as the officer's pistol. We found the internals scattered over a thirty foot radius. I had powder burns on my hands and a small piece of metal or polymer nicked the tip of my nose. That is all.

I had bought a couple of hundred rounds of Kilgore 230 grn standard pressure .45acp for range work during the height of the ammo shortage. I didn't like the stuff as some of it was a little inconsistent in load. I was shooting up the last of it just to get rid of it when I found one round that was VERY inconsistent! KABOOM!!!

You live and learn. No more no-name manufacturers for me.

I actually credit the Glock for the relatively minor injuries I sustained. Yes the internals blew out the bottom, but the frame held solid and the slide stayed in place. It could have been much worse.

#4 ·
Here come all the excuses defending Glock. Everything went wrong except the pistol malfunctioning. If it was "bad ammo", then how come other pistol brands are not exploding? How come it has happened with other Glocks in several calibers? I don't know, but there must be something going on with Glock's quality control as of late. Too bad because their # 1 asset is reliability.

#5 ·
- You can google "Kaboom" plus the manufacturer of your choice and you will find that no handgun is immune to failure, even revolvers. You have to remember that the sheer number of Glocks out there mean you will find more stories involving Glocks.

Reactions: Bad Bob
#8 ·
G21 is a .45. G22 is a .40

#9 ·
Most likely reloads. With the current economy I'm sure most agencies are using reloaded practice ammo.

#11 ·
Reload, factory ammo, doesn't make any difference if it was loaded above SAAMI specs, or if the gun was faulty.

Being that it was the first time the gun had been shot it is anybodys guess as to what caused the actual failure.

Reactions: Bad Bob
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.