I guess it isn't just the .40's like I have seen here is a G21

This is a discussion on I guess it isn't just the .40's like I have seen here is a G21 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is a link to an interesting video from Marshall County W-VA in which a duty firearm KABOOM's. Many of you may have seen this ...

Thread: I guess it isn't just the .40's like I have seen here is a G21

VIP Member

I guess it isn't just the .40's like I have seen here is a G21

Here is a link to an interesting video from Marshall County W-VA in which a duty firearm KABOOM's. Many of you may have seen this already, but I figure I would post it because like many folks I tend to blame Kabooms on the .40.

http://www.wtov9.com/news/21866969/detail.html
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

Reloads?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Any over-pressure ammo can cause this, not just .40S&W. I had a G21 kaboom on me with over-pressure ammo before. Mine did the exact same as the officer's pistol. We found the internals scattered over a thirty foot radius. I had powder burns on my hands and a small piece of metal or polymer nicked the tip of my nose. That is all.

I had bought a couple of hundred rounds of Kilgore 230 grn standard pressure .45acp for range work during the height of the ammo shortage. I didn't like the stuff as some of it was a little inconsistent in load. I was shooting up the last of it just to get rid of it when I found one round that was VERY inconsistent! KABOOM!!!

You live and learn. No more no-name manufacturers for me.

I actually credit the Glock for the relatively minor injuries I sustained. Yes the internals blew out the bottom, but the frame held solid and the slide stayed in place. It could have been much worse.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Here come all the excuses defending Glock. Everything went wrong except the pistol malfunctioning. If it was "bad ammo", then how come other pistol brands are not exploding? How come it has happened with other Glocks in several calibers? I don't know, but there must be something going on with Glock's quality control as of late. Too bad because their # 1 asset is reliability.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Here come all the excuses defending Glock. Everything went wrong except the pistol malfunctioning. If it was "bad ammo", then how come other pistol brands are not exploding? How come it has happened with other Glocks in several calibers? I don't know, but there must be something going on with Glock's quality control as of late. Too bad because their # 1 asset is reliability.
    - You can google "Kaboom" plus the manufacturer of your choice and you will find that no handgun is immune to failure, even revolvers. You have to remember that the sheer number of Glocks out there mean you will find more stories involving Glocks.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Apperantly, this is also when the Glock-haters come out. Any firearm can fail. Any firearm can fail with over-pressure ammo. What caused this particular incident we may never know. Mine was absolutely over-pressure ammo.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Glock 21? Story reports it as a .45, not a 40.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
    Glock 21? Story reports it as a .45, not a 40.
    G21 is a .45. G22 is a .40
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Most likely reloads. With the current economy I'm sure most agencies are using reloaded practice ammo.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I have first hand seen a g27 kaboom with factory bullets. It was not very pretty, but this may be the first .45 I have heard of kabooming for glock.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Reload, factory ammo, doesn't make any difference if it was loaded above SAAMI specs, or if the gun was faulty.

Being that it was the first time the gun had been shot it is anybodys guess as to what caused the actual failure.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links