Going to buy a new pistol...

This is a discussion on Going to buy a new pistol... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have narrowed my choices down to the Glock 30, Glock 36, or the Sig 220 Elite Carry. I am leaning towards the Sig, but ...

I have narrowed my choices down to the Glock 30, Glock 36, or the Sig 220 Elite Carry. I am leaning towards the Sig, but have not shot a Sig but once 15years ago. I was wanting some input on the 220 Elite Carry, anybody have this gun that uses it for a CCW. How does it carry and conceal, I know Sig's rep for reliability, so just wondering how you like it as a carry weapon. I searched and read some previous posts, just trying to lock down info on this particular pistol.
    Thanks.

cannot help you with your Sig, but i can say i own a Glock 30 and love it.... thats all. bunker

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    cannot help you with your Sig, but i can say i own a Glock 30 and love it.... thats all. bunker
    Yep, I have owned 2 G30's and I do like them, I would just like to know what people think of the Sig 220 Carry model as an EDC, before I make a another purchase.

I can't help on the Sig either, but I do have a G 36 and really like it. My sister has fired it as well and is now in the market for one.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Helloooooo!!!! Nobody carries or owns one of these Sigs?

No. I hate Sig triggers.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I have a "basic" 220 that has served me well for close to 20 years. Clearly the most accurate out-of-the box centerfire handgun I own. Yes, the DA/SA transition takes some practice but the 220's trigger is head and shoulders above the Smiths, Berettas and others of the same era (early 90s). The new short-reset trigger can only be an improvement.

Ergonomically, the SIG fits my hand better than the chunky Glock 23 I own, but chalk that up to personal preference.

The 220 went back to the factory a couple of years ago for an overhaul which included some trigger work and night sights - the package price was too good to resist. It doesn't get carried much these days, but it's just inches away in a desk drawer as I type this, and I would trust my life to it any day.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Most of my cop friends carry Sig's, and like them, but I'm still in the Glock camp...Glock-36 in EDC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

IMO....if you want the SIG, go for the single action model, and I think you'll like it.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Personally I would take the 30 over that Sig. I have handled and fired them both and the Glock gets the edge for me. But truely its like comparing two top of the line cars do you like the F150 or the Dodge ram?? Equal choices so go with feel.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I can't speak of the Sig, but I had a G30 & G36. For me the G30 was just too thick and blocky. I ended up selling it. I replaced the G30 with a Ruger P345, and I love that gun. As for my G36?? I will never sell that one.... I like it too much.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I have handled and shot the 220 Carry. It is essentially the exact same size as a P229. Only single stack in .45. It should conceal about like the P228/9 series. I have a G23 and a P228. The 23 and 36 typically share holsters, so I consider them pretty close in size and concealability. So I feel like I can offer this with confidence. A good holster, and belt goes a long ways, but apples to apples, I feel like I can conceal the 23 more reliably. The 220 is one of the most accurate .45s out of the box I have ever shot, but the 30/36 models are absolutely no slouch, as I have shot them too. Hope this helps.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Impressive! If one simply counts the type of responses from this thread and others', the G36 continues to receive the higher marks. I'm thinking I may have to log-off before I end up buying another gun I don't really need.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Thanks for the responses, I looked at a G36 yesterday and did like the feel of it. As far as the G30's go I have owned a couple and liked them, I have never held the SF model though. I am going to try a couple of Sigs and see which I like best. Then I will make a choice. I did see a nice 30 on one of the gun auctions with a hard chromed slide, kinda liked the look of it. We will see, big difference in price also between Sig and Glock too. Once again thanks.

Links