Heads up! S&W will be dropping prices dramatically on the Body Guards...

This is a discussion on Heads up! S&W will be dropping prices dramatically on the Body Guards... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A buddy at a local gunshop told me that S&W would be dropping their prices on the Body Guards by $100 after the first of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heads up! S&W will be dropping prices dramatically on the Body Guards...

Senior Moderator

Heads up! S&W will be dropping prices dramatically on the Body Guards...

A buddy at a local gunshop told me that S&W would be dropping their prices on the Body Guards by $100 after the first of the year. He said he wasn't sure retail sales would drop that much but he was expecting prices to go down significantly.

Not sure why they're lowering prices but it may be that they were too high to start with, or it just may they need to sell more, or be more competitive.

Anyway, if you were thinking about a Body Guard, you might want to wait for a while and see what happens.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Anyway, if you were thinking about a Body Guard, you might want to wait for a while and see what happens.
    Well, I WASNT thinking about a bodyguard but I am now :)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    I just returned from the local military base where I saw a matched set of Bodyguards (auto/revolver) in a wood/glass S&W presentation case for 1k n' change. Looked to be pretty nice although it’s not my style.

As for a possible price drop, I suspect they aren’t selling quite as well as Smith had hoped for and the price is being adjusted accordingly. The whole 'get em’ while they’re hot' has faded, and folks may have since moved on to something else.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

If it happens, that would put the MSRP at $299. I might have to reconsider one of these as a pocket carry. Wonder if the earlier reported issues is part of the reason and have been resolved?

Senior Moderator
    I haven't kept up with the Body Guard issues, but whatever they are/were, I doubt S&W is doing any kind of 'dump' to get rid of guns with issues - not that that was what you meant...but the same thing has been claimed about Sig with the P250 because of their price reductions, but that was a lot more complicated because there were two models of the P250. Sig also reduced prices on their 5.56 rifles/carbines.

S&W also dropped the price of the M&P by about $100 if I recall correctly.

Could be end of year, they didn't sell well at the intro price, who knows, but if it's really true that S&W drops the prices on the Body Guards, there may be some good buys out there.

One of the downsides of this is that if a dealer had about 100 of the Body Guards at the previous price, he stands to really loose some money or get stuck with stock he paid more for than they're selling for. Again, a similar thing happened with the P250, a bunch of us paid upwards of $600 for guns that are now selling for much less. Dealers got caught on those too. Seems like dealers and early buyers are taking a beating right now.

Current price for the Body Guard 380 at the S&W website is $399. Down consisiderably from their previos price of $500 plus
    Skip Griffith
    Korean War Vet
    Discharged as S/Sgt, 11th Airborne Div

I don't care who takes the beating, as long as I don't . Lol
    I handled the bodyguard revolver and was not impressed at all. It looked cheap and felt cheap. I much prefer the standard air weight j frames, or any of the steel frames.

I remember feeling like the price was a rip off on the new guns. Maybe alot of people felt the same way.

Ex Member
    I own 3 of the Bodyguard styles. 638, 649, and the Taurus version 651. The 638 is a lot easier to carry, 15 ounces, but the 649, 25 ounces, is a lot more pleasant to shoot.

The lightweight versions SHOULD be a lot cheaper. Aluminum is much cheaper than steel, and cutter bits to machine it last 4-5 times as long.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, it's kinda strange, the S&W website price for the BG 380 is $399, but the BG 38 is $509. Maybe it's just the BG 38 that's coming down after the first of the year.

glockman10mm - I like the steel j-frames better myself. They're a bit heavier, but handle recoil proportionally better.

I like the aluminum and steel both. It is those new ones with the built in laser that I was referring to. To me they just look and feel flimsy.

Senior Moderator
    I got that. I have a S&W aluminum frame, Titanium cylinder, .38+P and it's brutal to shoot. I let a pretty big young man shoot it at the range and he shot it twice and handed it back. I said, "Go ahead and shoot the last three." He said, "Nope, that's all I want of that." It hurt him. And, that was .38 spcl range ammo!

OTOH I love my Model 60.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Smith & Wesson dropped the price on pretty much everything. We are selling M&P 9 and 40 pistols for $489, same as our price on Glocks. The Bodyguard 380 is $369. We had about four of them that we lost money on when the price dropped. Bodyguard 38 is $449.
    Last edited by Agave; December 28th, 2010 at 07:14 PM.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I'll throw in, competition from revolvers like the LCR, and many others might be helping drive down prices.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I would seriously consider the revolver version with the built in laser for that price.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I got that. I have a S&W aluminum frame, Titanium cylinder, .38+P and it's brutal to shoot. I let a pretty big young man shoot it at the range and he shot it twice and handed it back. I said, "Go ahead and shoot the last three." He said, "Nope, that's all I want of that." It hurt him. And, that was .38 spcl range ammo!

OTOH I love my Model 60.
    Yeah, they are definetly not range guns. I can shoot quite a few thru the airweight, but I dont very often. I like them better with standard pressure 158 gr swc, and even then its not for more than 30-50 shots. But they really shine for pocket carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links