Small Hands, what gun?

This is a discussion on Small Hands, what gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; M&P The gun that fit my large hands well and in one change of the grips, fit my moms small hands just as well....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small Hands, what gun?

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    M&P

The gun that fit my large hands well and in one change of the grips, fit my moms small hands just as well.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    Kahr K9, K40, T9 & T40 fit smaller hands pretty well. I like the steel Kahrs a bunch.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I too am blessed with longitudinally challenged fingers. Most people don't understand the dilema of those of us wilt that terrible condition, and respond with statements that "you can properly handle any firearm with proper professional training...blah, blah, blah". Nope, 'ya gotta find what fits, then keep looking for the better fit. Personally, I couldn't even shoot a j-frame right - partly due to short chunky fingers, and partly due to the high curve of the backstrap. So, I finally tried an SP101. I finally OWN a revolver that doesn't own me. As far as semi-autos, it's taken me at least 10 years to work my carry guns down to a Kimber compact stainless 1911, Sig P239 40 cal, and Kahr CW9. Obviously all single stacks, and all with different manual of arms.... but all being 100% reliable.... and they FIT. I have shot numerous Glocks, as well as the XD-XDm line, and can "handle" them, but just not within my comfort zone for total competence. If given long flexible fingers and talent, I could have been a world famous classical guitarist, but alas, I was blessed with short, stiff, crooked fingers.... so, single stacks for me

edit to add: along with the fingers, I was blessed with the lack of talent as well

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    For small hands the "hands down" winner is the Walther PPS.

Here is a SIG P239 on the left, with a Walther PPS on the right. As you can see, the grip on the Walther PPS is very dramatically smaller.

If a person finds that the grip is too small, it can be easily enhanced with a Hogue Handall or a Limbsaver Pro Handgun slip on grip.

I have a rather small hand and have found that in semis Kahrs fit me well. The Glock 36 was ok, but Kahrs were more comfortable for me. However, the gun that feels the most "at home" in my hand is a J-frame. As someone else suggested, go to gun show/shop with your friend and try any of the guns that look appealing to him. It really is the only way for HIM to find something that will work. All opinions about the right gun, my own included, make no difference if the gun doesn't feel right in your friend's hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
    A good friend finds my Glock 21 huge, CZ P-01 a little large, and CZ-82 about right. What would you suggest? Recoil is not an issue, he shoot's .45 and 9MM fine, it's the grip that concerns him. Single stack maybe? I like the CZ's and XD's, but I have large hands. Thanks for any input.
    H&K P-30. Sweet gun, made for small hands, comes with interchangable grip panels.
    Probably the finest handgun I own.

Another vote for the Glock 36!

I have small girly hands and my Kahr CW45 is very comfortable in them.

Ruger SR9c fits smaller hand well.
    Easy to carry and shoot!
    Great prices.

Lateck,

I'm a Glock fan, the compact models, G19,23,32!!!! Springfield Armory XDMs w/ interchangable backstraps.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    thinking Glock 19 or 1911.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
    A good friend finds my Glock 21 huge, CZ P-01 a little large, and CZ-82 about right. What would you suggest? Recoil is not an issue, he shoot's .45 and 9MM fine, it's the grip that concerns him. Single stack maybe? I like the CZ's and XD's, but I have large hands. Thanks for any input.
    I too have small hands and went with the Sig P239. I like the DA/SA for carry; decocked with one in the chamber it is very much like a revolver for the first round.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    M&P

The gun that fit my large hands well and in one change of the grips, fit my moms small hands just as well.
    +1! the M&P hands down fits alot of different shooters because of the palm swells it comes with. It gets my vote.

But the funny thing is to me after reading these posts, the Glock people are still up on their Blocks saying go with a Glock, when the OP clearly is saying and I quote "A good friend finds my Glock 21 huge". "it's the grip that concerns him".

Not new news but all the Glocks grips are the same width, except the slim versions.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

There are two different dimensions involved when it comes to fitting a gun to one's hand. One is the size of the hand compared to the width of the firearm's grip. The other is the length of trigger finger compared to the trigger reach. I wear medium gloves and have small fingers. The M9 is large in my hand, but manageable. It's the trigger reach on that thing that kicks my butt. I can't get enough of my trigger finger on the trigger to do things "the right way", so I have to be really careful to not push my shots to the left. This is fine on the range, but I hope to never have to use this weapon for real.

My point in telling you that is this: Make sure you are diagnosing the problem correctly. For years, I thought it was hand size. Turns out that my issue is trigger reach.

Having said that, here are my suggestions:
    - Short-trigger 1911 -- the best fitting firearm for me
    - Browning Hi Power (a close 2nd for me)
    - A S&W revolver (Do NOT use target grips)
    - Kahr K-9

Guns that feel good in the hand, but I have not shot:
    - Sig P239
    - M&P 45 Compact
    - Sig P250
    - H&K P7
    - Glock 19
    - H&K P30
    - FNP 45 (SA mode only; DA is still a bit of a reach)

Guns that do not fit me well:
    - Double stack Sigs (the jury is still out on the E2 versions)
    - Beretta M9 (aka 92)
    - Glock 21, 30 (even in the SF editions)
    - CZ P-01
    - XD45

Hopefully, that helps a little bit. I second the idea of a gunshow or a large gunstore. Let him fondle all the guns. Don't let him adjust his hand "just right." I can do that with some guns, given time, but they're not good SD guns. You might not get a "perfect" grip on the weapon. Either it works or it doesn't. There are a lot of choices out there, and something will work for him. As mr. surveyor said, no amount of training will make your buddy's trigger finger longer.

Hope this helps,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I also have small hands and what I carry is a G19. It is a bit wide for my hands but I am very accurate with it. My other choices are revolvers like the Ruger sp101, EAA Witness, or 1911.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links