Need a EDC working gun for concealment .45

This is a discussion on Need a EDC working gun for concealment .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got my G36 on right now. You really are much better off with the G36 than anything with "Taurus" on the side, not to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a EDC working gun for concealment .45

I've got my G36 on right now. You really are much better off with the G36 than anything with "Taurus" on the side, not to bash of course. The G36 is a hard hitting, reliable gun no doubt.

2. Remove Ads

Glock, (choose your model number).

And, as I also own an XD9sc, and based on other reports, I'll say there's nothing wrong with the XD platform. May be able to grab for a few bucks less than the Glock.

And they are very reliable and accurate. You won't go wrong with either XD or Glock .45's.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I looked at a G36 today NIB $580. Is that a good deal?
    Gunbroker has them a bit cheaper but u have to figure in shipping and FFL trans.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Bud's has 'em $572 shipped unless you use credit card, then higher. Gotta figure transfer fee on that so...

I got one 2 weeks ago at the local gun show. Paid the sticker price and split the sales tax with the seller. $566 out the door.
    Glock 36 / Crimson Trace LG-436
    Ruger LCP / Crimson Trace LG-431

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    M&P, XD or Glock in that order.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I live in Miami and my EDC is a Sig GSR C3 45 in a CROSSBREED "Super Tuck Deluxe" it disappears under a t-shirt. I keep a 7 flush fit std mag in the gun + 1 in the "tube" and a second such Sig mag in my cargo pants mag pocket. My C3 will print a single ragged hole at 21 feet, every single time. It's also very light and comes with night sights. I got mine at a gun show (NIB) for just $800 out the door. Which was a heckuva deal, but I knew the seller/dealer and had done business with them before. But I do love my Sig. When I feel like I need higher capacity (say when I travel with the wife in state) I carry my XDc 45. But I'm always carrying the Sig otherwise (except at work, of course -- I am a teacher after all).
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Ummm Bikerboy? I don't think I'd be counting "LAKE WORTH" as SOUTH FLORIDA. That's more like Central Florida to me, since I'm in Miami! LOL
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I find the G30 is more concealable than the XD45C. It is also lighter and after wearing it all day you start to feel the difference. The trigger is also better, it's crisper.

Glock, Glock and Glock
    "You fight the way you Train"

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Ummm Bikerboy? I don't think I'd be counting "LAKE WORTH" as SOUTH FLORIDA. That's more like Central Florida to me, since I'm in Miami! LOL
    I'm in Palm Bch county and 45 min from you soldier! LOL
    Central Fla is hours north up the pike. I work the miami show now and then.
    Love the cuban food when I'm there! Is the Taurus Millenium Pro 745 that much of
    a risk for being reliable? I can get the glock 36 today,sold my Norinco 1911. I don't
    know that much about the Kahr CW45 for being reiable either although it conceals best
    but carrying a glock gives u peace of mind on will it go bang!!!! YES !!
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

[QUOTE=bikerboy;1838117 Is the Taurus Millenium Pro 745 that much of
    a risk for being reliable?[/QUOTE]

If I had to pull a arbitrary number out of thin air I would say that you have about a 10-15 percent chance of getting shafted with the Taurus. Also, I would look into the pt145 instead of the 745. The 145 is higher capacity and the same size as the 745.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Before even finishing reading your post and other responses, the clear choice is in fact the Glock-36. BTW, this is coming from a guy who only carries a revolver.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

GLOCK 30 or 36

Works right out of the box, easy to use, easy to clean, easy to find holsters and accessories, reliable, tough, and doesn't mind being abused.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
    Is the Taurus Millenium Pro 745 that much of a risk for being reliable? I can get the glock 36 today,sold my Norinco 1911.
    Okay, serious stuff here. I bought a Taurus PUBLIC DEFENDER last year and sold it before I even fired it ONCE! Reason? As I was manipulating the action, (opening and closing the cylinder dry firing etc) that fancy KEY OPERATED lock mechanism, partially set itself! I never even took the key from the box and plastic bag it arrived in. My kid is nearly 30 and out on her own, I'll never use the dang thing but it set itself anyway. I have heard from my local gunsmith that this has been happening across the board on many of the Taurus guns, including the 745. I sent it back to the factory (right here in Miami, FL and that was a hassle in itself) and got it back with a slip that read "replaced part." I thought about that for awhile and decided that I can't ever trust the gun to defend me and mine. I traded that gun at a show to a dealer and got the Sig C3 for that plus some cash. Best deal I ever made. Most mentally comforting anyway, for sure.

I have in the past owned several Glocks: A M21 and later an M30 and a M27. I sold the M21 because it was just too HUMONGUS to carry. But it was something else, too. These were secoond or third gens and since I have smallish hands, they felt like 4x4 blocks of wood. Too big to be comfortable. I even had ROBAR shave the grip of the 30 down for me, but I wound up selling the gun anyway. As for the M27, I loved that little gun but it was economics, there. It was my ONLY "Shorty Forty" and I couldn't justify to myself the expense of the ammo as well as it's no fun to shoot at targets! Too much barrel "whip." I was using it mainly for carry and IDPA. When you're on the move in a match you don't notice the muzzle jump or need bullseye accuracy. It's kind of like the old line from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid where Sundance says: "Can I move? I'm better when I move." It just wasn't enough to justify the ammo expense. Now I'm down to just three constant calibers: 9mm, 45acp, 38sp are my main carry pieces. I do have one "specialty handgun" a sort of do it all heavy artillery piece in a S&W 460 magnum XVR. That shoots 45 Colt, 454 Casull and of course the big 460. I just always wanted a handgun that'd drop a Sasquatch or a T-Rex in it's tracks, ya know? I love to shoot full house loads in the 460, too. Almost the most fun I can have shooting a handgun. ALMOST.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; December 29th, 2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Add detail

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links