Para-Ordnance Hawg 9

Para-Ordnance Hawg 9

This is a discussion on Para-Ordnance Hawg 9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an oppertinuty to get my hands on one of these for a pretty good price. gun has never been fired,comes with 5 12 ...

Thread: Para-Ordnance Hawg 9

Question Para-Ordnance Hawg 9

I have an oppertinuty to get my hands on one of these for a pretty good price.
    gun has never been fired,comes with 5 12 round mags,case and lock for 500 bucks.I really dont know much about these,what there worth, or even if there any good(im a glock guy).any help from my defensive carry family would be great.
    thank you

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Sounds like a deal, 3 mags from para would be about $150 alone... The Hawg 9 retails for $959 and you would be hard press to find one for less than $750 new
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

They are good guns, but the finish leaves something to be desired. That is a good deal for what is essentially a new gun and that many mags. I say go for it, if it doesn't work out well. it will be no problem to get rid of.

Administrator
    That is a good price, but I cannot recommend Para in general.
    "Just blame Sixto"

GM
    It is a good deal if you like Para; I do not.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I have one (see my avatar) and like it with the exception that the double stack grip is a little too thick for my stubby fingers. You should also be aware that paras need to cleaned and well lubed to function. If you maintain them, then they are good to go. If not you will find yourself hating them.

You can do a search over on the 1911 forums under the ParaOrdnance section for some range reports. I suggest you do that so you know a little more about the gun and functioning aspects.

You also stated that it hasn't been fired. Read the accompanying owner's manual and you will find that a new gun requires a 300 round break in period. That is for real. Follow it and you should be happy. Otherwise, see the first paragraph above.

BTW, It is a good price.
    Good luck!
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    make sure that you get out there and hold one of them double stack 1911's prior to purchasing, as they are pretty dang wide. I assume this is a Face to face deal, so you will have the opportunity to do so. As others said, I don't know if I could recommend para. there might be a reason that this deal seems to good?
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by boomer252 View Post
    I have an oppertinuty to get my hands on one of these for a pretty good price.
    gun has never been fired,comes with 5 12 round mags,case and lock for 500 bucks.I really dont know much about these,what there worth, or even if there any good(im a glock guy).any help from my defensive carry family would be great.
    thank you
    Let's forget about price for a moment. You can't put a price on your life or your family's lives.

What are you going to use this pistol for?

A range gun? Home defense? Carry?

I need more info. before I can try to advise you. I will say, up front, that Para isn't known for reliable handguns in my experience.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    weird... I have heard great things about para. One of the reasons I bought mine. I have a para GI expert 1911, can't say anything bad about it. I carried until just recently when I got my colt. I still carry it mostly if I'm going to be crawling on the ground. The parakote finish is pretty durable, I have carried it for a couple years and have some holster wear started on the sharp edges of the front of the slide next to the barrel bushing.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I've read good and bad reviews on Para, never handled one, but I try to keep in mind that the squeaky wheel makes more noise than the quiet one that just keeps on turning. For that price, I think you could give it an honest run, and if it didn't work out, probably get your investment back.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sponsored Links