Ruger SP101

Ruger SP101

This is a discussion on Ruger SP101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a Ruger SP101 with Weigand's Tame the Beast package. It is an awesome little gun. I haven't found a .357 load that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SP101

Ruger SP101

I picked up a Ruger SP101 with Weigand's Tame the Beast package. It is an awesome little gun. I haven't found a .357 load that is unpleasant to shoot from it.

I carry it daily and will discuss the holster in the holster forum.
    Attached Images
    Hooah! It's an Army thing!

topsblades@gmail.com

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    man that's awesome. I'm not familiar with that package, can you tell us more about it? is it ported? night sights? how much does it cost?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Nice; is that by Gemini Customs? Also, I'll be curios if you get residue on the night sight from the porting. To answer the previous poster's question, yes, it's ported; hence the three holes in the top of the barrel. Looks like a bead blast finish too. Very nice. To round out my revolvers group, I'd like to get the short barreled SP101 with the factory bobbed hammer just like yours!

Would love to hear more about how it shoots.

Gideon

GM
    Very nice. Congrats and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I don't like ports on a defensive handgun...if fired from retention, there is the possibility of getting hot gases and debris in your eyes. Not a good thing to happen in the middle of a fight.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Ex Member
    I don't do bobbed hammers but LOVE the rest of it!

The SP101 is a great piece. You'll really enjoy it. I love mine, and it's just a stock 2" with hammer.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

A little more info...

If you look at the Gemini Customs website they give credit to Jack Weigand for the porting that they do. Jack used to customize Rugers and has since retired.

Here is a google link: http://www.google.com/search?q=Weiga...ient=firefox-a

If the link doesn't work for you just google "Jack Weigand Tame the Beast"

4 or 5 years ago my sister and her husband came to me and asked me to help them get a gun for defense. As they are both novices I suggested a 4" 38/357 and we went to a gun show to shop. We came upon this and they liked it, I loved it and the price was right so they took it home. A couple of weeks ago my brother in law brought it to me and asked me to sell it for them. They never shot it and he didn't like it being in the house with grand kids etc. He gave me some rounds for it and told me to feel free to shoot it.

The rest is history. I can take this gun and load it with hot 125 or 158 grain magnum loads and empty the cylinder into a paper plate at 15 yards rapid fire. The double action is amazing. I practiced starting the hammer back (with the gun empty) using the trigger and then cocking it and the single action is exceptional as well. I don't see my ever doing this but it is nice to have the capability.

I carry it IWB and the bobbed hammer is a blessing. It is smooth to draw and no hammer spur digging in to my side. If I come across a regular spurred hammer I would pick it up. It is easy enough to install and might be nice when I'm in the woods carrying the gun in a OWB holster.

As far as the porting goes if I decided that I needed to fire it from anything less than arm's length all I would have to do is cant the weapon 30 to 45 degrees. If you put a gun in your hand and bring it in with one hand you will probably find that your arm naturally does this. At least mine does.

The porting does affect the front sight but only the bottom half of it. It cleans up easily. Two or three cylinders of ammo wouldn't affect the sight in a tactical situation.

Porting isn't for everyone, I understand that but without it I wouldn't be shooting full house loads rapid fire.

I am currently shooting the Speer Short Barrel 135s in .38 Special in it. It is like shooting a .22. When I go into the woods or am traveling if I think I need something more a stoke it with a mixture of the Speers and a couple of 125 grain magnum loads. A couple of speed strips of magnum loads ride in my pocket.

Life is a compromise. If you want a revolver's reliability you give up capacity. If you want concealability you give up barrel length and sight radius. I imagine that explains why most of us have more than one gun.

This gun is set up just about perfectly for me. I love the size, caliber, action and sights. I used to have a Smith 442 and sold it to fund this purchase. This SP 101 was the best $365, yes I said $365, that I've spent in a long, long time.

topsblades@gmail.com

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    What kind of grips on that Ruger SP101? Thanks,
    SCGunLover1

Quote Originally Posted by scgunlover1 View Post
    What kind of grips on that Ruger SP101? Thanks,
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=344380
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Thanks Rollo
    SCGunLover1

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Thats almost criminal to pay so little for that gun! I'd guess it had an action job too. Does it say "Gemini Customs" on the side somewhere?
    Gideon

Cool

I wonder what the light show is like when you fire it in low light with .357 125 grain loads ?

P18174701.jpg My plain Jane SP 101.....
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

This isn't a Gemini! It has Jack Weigand's logo on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Thats almost criminal to pay so little for that gun! I'd guess it had an action job too. Does it say "Gemini Customs" on the side somewhere?
    Gideon

topsblades@gmail.com

Very nice pistol...it's a tank.
    I tend to stay away from hammerless and/or ported, just my personal preference.

Hope you don't ever have to shoot from retention.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links