New Toy!!

This is a discussion on New Toy!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So i am gonna pic up my new Colt New Agent tomorrow (yes there will be pics) I can't wait to get it!!! I figure ...

Thread: New Toy!!

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

New Toy!!

So i am gonna pic up my new Colt New Agent tomorrow (yes there will be pics) I can't wait to get it!!! I figure I will get a chance to break it in tomorrow night, but here is my question. What is the perfered ammo for 3" barrel 1911's??? I have always used 230 grain hollow points for my 5" ones and with the new agent having an ultra light slide I am worried about FTF's. I was thinking something in the line of 185 or even 165's. I don't want feeding issues either so I was thinking maybe powerball's or something like that. Also has anyone had any of the Wilson combat ammo??? figure I might wanna try it and since I need to order mags maybe I could just add them on my order.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have always had good luck with Hornandy Critical Defense
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Pics....tomorrow?
    Wilson combat is in my home state. Know little of their ammo offerings.
    Worried about FTF? Must be a terrible ordeal to think about with a new pistol.

Oh yes pics tomorrow. I figure the wilson ammo should be good but don't wanna order a couple hundred rounds blind. I would like to try some Critical defense ammo just none at the LGS at the moment. The FTF worries stem from a colt defender I had that gave me issues I am 99% sure it was the gun. I ran some 230 grain hard cast from match shooting in it and it jammed once every 8-10 shots probably the ammo though. Also the defender had an issue cuz every now and then on the first shot of a mag it would go full auto on me and empty the mag I thnk that gun was special.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I don't think there is a consensus on a "preferred" round for 3" .45s. I would start with basic 230 grain hardball, and see how the gun runs. Then see how the JHPs you run in your full-size gun work, since you presumably have those on hand.

Beyond that, I would experiment with the Win Silvertip (185 gr) and some of the Federal "Personal Defense" offerings in 165 and 185 grain. You give up a fair amount of velocity with a three-inch .45 so HP expansion isn't always something you can count on, but you'll always have at least .45 caliber... no worse than hardball.

I have no experience with Wilson ammo, nor does anyone else in my shooting circles. I'm sure they make quality stuff, but for defensive carry I'm going to rely on the major brands.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    congrats
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Wilson" ammo? I bet it won't kill anyone any deader than the rest of the leading name-brand SD rounds, only it will cost more to do so.

As for what ammo feeds best in a 3"er, trial and error!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Wilson" ammo? I bet it won't kill anyone any deader than the rest of the leading name-brand SD rounds, only it will cost more to do so.

As for what ammo feeds best in a 3"er, trial and error!
    Wilsons ammo didn't look very exspensive just wondered if anyone had any experience.
    I might have two new toys to play with as I am in the final stages of hashing out a deal to get a Kimber compact CDP as well. Can't wait to get the new toys home and play!

Wilson Ammo?

Never heard of such a thing.

I think I'd stick with Speer or Federal.

Pics of the new agent tomorrow. Hopefully there will be some kimber pics Tuesday Or Wednesday. Now I gotta pic out a high end full size 1911 to start saving for.

TTT
    Attached Images

Good looking lead flinger. I better not let the wife see the pics, she will have to have one.
    I reject your reality, and insert my own.

VIP Member
    Very nice!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisFred View Post
    Wilson Ammo?

Never heard of such a thing.

I think I'd stick with Speer or Federal.
    I just viewed the Wilson Combat video and it just looks like a re-wrapped box of Hornady Critical Defense ammo.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I just viewed the Wilson Combat video and it just looks like a re-wrapped box of Hornady Critical Defense ammo.
    I thought the same thing!! I ran across it poking around on there sight looking for parts.

Links