Question re. manual safeties

This is a discussion on Question re. manual safeties within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those who carry/train with a gun that has a manual safety, like a 1911 for instance, at what point in the draw stroke or ...

Thread: Question re. manual safeties

For those who carry/train with a gun that has a manual safety, like a 1911 for instance, at what point in the draw stroke or presentation do you disengage the safety, and why?

I've been considering whether I'd want a manual safety (have had guns with and without but have only carried ones without), and realized I didn't really know the answer to this question. Any info on why you do what you do, and where you picked it up is especially valued!

EDIT TO ADD: Also, when do you re-engage the safety? I'd assume as you were holstering, but I'd rather not stick with assuming on something like that!

Thank you all!

Senior Moderator
    I've carried a 1911 for years. I've competed with it in speed contests when shooting steel, I carried one on and off duty for awhile as a Deputy.
    To me, the fact that there is a manual safety becomes almost irrelevant with the proper practice and training. If someone does it enough, it becomes "automatic" meaning that it becomes a habit without conscious thought.

With that being said, when the holster clears leather, the safety is snicked off as I bring the sights up to the target. Anytime the sights are not on target the safety was automatically engaged.
    Its really not as complicated as it sounds. Anytime the gun was placed back in the holster, the safety was already engaged.

When one practices this, is become very quick and when practiced enough,it becomes an unconscious act.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    The safety comes off when the muzzle is pointed at the target. Usually at the low ready position.

The safety goes on just before the muzzle leaves the target.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Depends on the threat, but I disengage the safety after the muzzle clears leather and as the weapon is approximately at the level of "low ready" and just before the support hand engages the strong hand. To be clear, the muzzle is pointing forward and is well rotated past vertical when the safety comes off. Why? If you're engaging a threat, you want to be ready to fire (safety off) by the time the muzzle and sights are on the threat. Likewise, in support of Rule Two you want the muzzle directed away from your own body parts (leg, feet) which means pointing forward and off vertical.

Note that the trigger finger is not in the trigger guard until and unless you are ready to shoot.

Re-engage the safety when the threat is gone. The specific circumstances dictate when; some advocate safety on when the gun goes back to low ready. However, if you're doing your "360 scan" with the gun at low ready and there is a credible chance of needing to shoot, then I would have the safety off. In any event, the safety will be back on well before the muzzle is rotated back down to vertical and re-holstering.

This is "an" answer, not "the" answer. In some basic courses I've taken, the instructor has emphasized "safety on" whenever the gun is at low ready or lower, but I suspect this was more for range safety.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Ananael View Post
    For those who carry/train with a gun that has a manual safety, like a 1911 for instance, at what point in the draw stroke or presentation do you disengage the safety, and why?

I've been considering whether I'd want a manual safety (have had guns with and without but have only carried ones without), and realized I didn't really know the answer to this question. Any info on why you do what you do, and where you picked it up is especially valued!

EDIT TO ADD: Also, when do you re-engage the safety? I'd assume as you were holstering, but I'd rather not stick with assuming on something like that!

Thank you all!
    What was suggested to as the gun was drawn from the holster and into its arc up to target, the safety should come off -but unless you're already sure there's a lethal attack starting, to hold your finger out of the trigger guard until the gun was on target and you were sure it was time to shoot. Then the finger went on the trigger..

Don't know if that is standard SOP but it is what the suggestions made to me were.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    My safety is off before the end of the barrel clears the holster.
    Thats how I train.
    I want to only have to focus on the threat after aiming and not worry about clicking a safety off.
    (M&P40 w/Thumb Safety)
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    What was suggested to as the gun was drawn from the holster and into its arc up to target, the safety should come off -but unless you're already sure there's a lethal attack starting, to hold your finger out of the trigger guard until the gun was on target and you were sure it was time to shoot. Then the finger went on the trigger..

Don't know if that is standard SOP but it is what the suggestions made to me were.
    Pretty much it. The way I do it. Usually around the 'low-ready' position and as gasmitty described. Practice is good, but one will get more of the habits down in a formal competition event when others can give suggestions such as the RO who should be watching your every move. With any manipulations, muzzle awareness is key along with trigger discipline. I personally transition easily from my Glocks to my single action SIG. "an unconscious act" sums it up nicely for me as well.

Sponsored Links