Think I am going to end up buying this gun...what would be the downside?

This is a discussion on Think I am going to end up buying this gun...what would be the downside? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Think I am going to end up buying this gun. Not because I need it, have a special use for it, but just because I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think I am going to end up buying this gun...what would be the downside?

Think I am going to end up buying this gun...what would be the downside?

Think I am going to end up buying this gun. Not because I need it, have a special use for it, but just because I have an itch for it that needs scratching.

It's a 627 PC 8 shot SW...weigh is 37.5oz. Would this be too big to conceal and would the weight work against me or for me if I fired 357mags? I guess I am asking what do you see, as a downside to having this gun. Now, I only own one other wheel gun, so I understand if your not a wheel gun person, you may blow it off, but it looks like a cool gun to own and shoot. I like the heavy weapon persona I guess. Please offer your humble, but very accurate opinions. Thanks.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    After 40+ years of guns I’ve come full-circle from wheels to semi’s and back to wheels. If the itch is there then nothing else matters. There is no disputing the cool factor of this particular variant although for me personally, it’s too big for CC. However, it would be really nice as a home defense, range warrior or cabin cruiser in your ride.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

What you can CC is a personal thing , but the weight would help with the recoil of the .357 for sure
    plus you,ve got to love 8 shots of .357 mag., WOW thats a lot of fire power on tap !
    I do think it would be too big for me to CC but would make a great house/truck gun.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

ntg
    If you want a "full-sized" revolver this is one of the best choices IMO. I personally lean toward the 686, 6 or 7 shots, but there's nothing wrong with the 627 as a choice. The recoil should be easily managed regardless of load. Let us know what you decide.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

I could never talk someone out of buying a good wheel gun. Be sure to post pics and a range report!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Scratch the itch! I only carry my wheel gun when I camp in the mountains or hunting, and it's a lot of fun to shoot at the range.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    What you can CC is a personal thing , but the weight would help with the recoil of the .357 for sure
    plus you,ve got to love 8 shots of .357 mag., WOW thats a lot of fire power on tap !
    I do think it would be too big for me to CC but would make a great house/truck gun.

^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^

I'm in this camp wth this one.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

If they are near as good as their predecessor (Mod 27), which I have owned for around forty years, I think that you will be more than pleased. They will handle any .357 load with ease, absorb recoil very good, are quite accurate, even in shorter barrels and make good thumpers. They are somewhat more difficult to conceal, but with the proper combinations it is not that difficult. They are heavy, my 3-1/2" weighs 44oz empty, but if you are use to carrying full size handguns that should not be a problem.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Thumbs up

I'm always curious to see what some of these revolvers look like if I haven't herd of them. The pic and the two reviews say it all, I'd go for it don't think you'll be disappointed ? Don't forget to post a few pics.

http://www.gun-review.com/reviews/ra...ewId=363&cat=1
    Attached Images
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    Looking at your stable of other guns, it does seem like a niche that needs filling. Only you can say if you can carry it comfortably or not. Why not give it a whirl and report back.

The 8 shot capability seems nice for that kind of gun. Surely the weight would work FOR you, right? You can brush up on speed strip manipulation too.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    When buying a gun like that I just can't see a down side!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

If you buy such a gun, I would definitely spend the money for the best speed loaders you can get and get proficient with them.

I say scratch! Get it!
    NRA Life Member, Holster Maker
    www.haysholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    If you buy such a gun, I would definitely spend the money for the best speed loaders you can get and get proficient with them.
    Gloves, the only speed loaders I could find for the 8 shooters when I had my 627 were sold at about 80 bucks a piece. This may have changed over the last year, but it was thru Clint Smith at TR, manafactured with his specifications.

Whew!! That's steep. Even so I would at least get one.

ETA: Dillon has Maxfire loaders for $13 and while not the type I would prefer, I'm sure they would beat speed strips.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/conte...27__Taurus_608

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links