My NEW carry gun: a 9mm Mauser Broomhandle (with pics)

This is a discussion on My NEW carry gun: a 9mm Mauser Broomhandle (with pics) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some may think me daft, but when I don't need deep concealment I have taken to carrying my 20 round Mauser Broomhandle (reworked by Briklee ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My NEW carry gun: a 9mm Mauser Broomhandle (with pics)

Talking My NEW carry gun: a 9mm Mauser Broomhandle (with pics)

Some may think me daft, but when I don't need deep concealment I have taken to carrying my 20 round Mauser Broomhandle (reworked by Briklee to semi-auto from the full-auto Schnellfeuer Mauser C96).

With my spare mag, that makes for 40 rounds of 9mm goodness.

A fun gun, surprisingly easy to carry (in Winter), and quite distinctive. (I've always wanted to CCW a Broom ever since I saw Tom Adams in "The Second Best Secret Agent in the Whole Wide World" [a great movie, BTW, and it pretty much stars the Broomhandle! ]).

-Bill

Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Wow! That actually conceals quite well! I say go for it :) The fact is that nobody wants to be staring down the barrel of any gun but I bet the "pucker factor" would increase drastically when looking at that bad boy pointed in your direction. Almost makes me feel sorry for the dirtbags...almost. Stay safe and shoot 'em straight!
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: Hot Damn! What a Ride!

Gen3 G19
    Taurus TCP
    Ruger 22/45

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    That's pretty interesting. If it wasn't for the spare magazine jutting out, it would all but disappear. I am curious though, with the gun positioned over your back pocket, how do you draw?

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

VIP Member
    Good lawd! I don't think they had concealed carry in mind when they designed that one!

I don't see any clip or loop on that holster? Are you relying on just friction for retention?

Senior Moderator
    Interesting. I dont think I've ever seen anyone carrying a Broomhandle concealed.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Very interesting, I have a Bolo in 30Mauser and have never thought of it for CCW. What type of holster do you use as that one does not appear to be one of the originals made for the Broomhandle.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I see some printing

I hate to be the wet blanket, but in the rear photo with your black shirt down, I can see the Mauser printing fairly obviously against the shirt. When you pull the shirt up in a later photo, the reason for the printing is clear - that is a big gun with a long 20 round magazine sticking out. I wonder how comfortable that is when seated in a chair or car seat?

I will certainly give you credit for pushing the envelope and carrying a unique gun, however. I have handled broom handle Mausers and they are something else.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Nice, I have always liked the Broomhandle.
    Semper Fi

Thanks for the comments, Guys!

" I am curious though, with the gun positioned over your back pocket, how do you draw?"

Crossdraw works quite well for me, probably due to my long arms!

"I don't see any clip or loop on that holster? Are you relying on just friction for retention?"

Yes; I am currently relying on friction, but I am right now in the process of building a much better IWB holster for the Broom (I wish Com-Tac built a Minotaur IWB for it!).

"What type of holster do you use as that one does not appear to be one of the originals made for the Broomhandle."

I modified an old Bianchi flap holster I had that was made for my Python (which I no longer own). I plan on using this holster next week in our club's USPSA shoot along with my Broomhandle (but setup outside the pants, with belt loop). I normally shoot USPSA with a Tangfolio Witness, so we'll see how this goes...

"When you pull the shirt up in a later photo, the reason for the printing is clear - that is a big gun with a long 20 round magazine sticking out. I wonder how comfortable that is when seated in a chair or car seat?"

The pistol itself, being butt forward, is actually relatively comfortable when in a car seat. However, I use a normal fluffy bed pillow in all my car seats, placed so that it cushions my lower back area from any of my guns gouging or poking me in the back. Works like a charm! And to lessen any printing I am going to re-position that extra mag for horizontal carry, as well as use my ten round mag in the pistol itself.

The fun continues!

-Bill

The ultimate in “Old School” love it.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Proof positive to all those who say that a gun is "too bulky" to conceal, that almost no firearm is too bulky to conceal, that being said, the Mauser still seems a bit combersome for a daily carry, JMO.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Daft?
    LOL! I don't think so. Good of you to post pics! If it works for you then all is good. You may be a pioneer in the field, but personality is what it's all about. Nobody should ever think that's strange. Thinking outside the box is good. To tell the truth, there is no 'box'. I like it since you like it!
    Best photo of the year to close out 2010 IMO. CC is what we make of it.

VIP Member
    I think I read somewhere that Broomhandles were sort of the design idea for some of the guns used in the original Star Wars.

It might come in handy during a traffic stop:

Will B. Droopy- Officer I'm required to inform you that I'm carrying a concealed weapon.
    LEO- Ok, thanks. Where is it ?
    Will B. Droopy- Its on my left waist at about 8 o'clock
    LEO- Ok, for my safety I'm going to disarm you, and remove the ammuntion to make it safe........(lifts shirt)...........uhhh, WTH is that??????
    Will B. Droopy- Broomhandle Mauser sir
    LEO- Ok.........well, uh...........hmmmmm.........let's see ??? ...................okay, tell you what, you have a good night and drive safely.
    Will B. Droopy- Thank you
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I think I read somewhere that Broomhandles were sort of the design idea for some of the guns used in the original Star Wars.
    The Broom handle Mauser was modified to make Han Solo's DL-44 blaster. And Han didn't shoot first, the blaster was just that fast.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Heck of a gun to conceal, but you do that well...Congrats!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links