Which LCR?

This is a discussion on Which LCR? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 38 or 357? I like the idea of all the ammo options you can load in the 357 model. Does the extra four ounces really ...

Thread: Which LCR?

Which LCR?

38 or 357? I like the idea of all the ammo options you can load in the 357 model.

Does the extra four ounces really make any difference if you pocket carry? I would probably just shoot 38+ p anyway, but it would be cool to have the option of 357s!

They also have the new 38 with the boot grip and night sight. Anyone have this version yet?

2. Remove Ads

I have the .38 version, and it carries very well in the pocket. I don't imagine an extra few ounces would make much difference, but I've never handled the .357 for a comparison. I do know that I wouldn't want to shoot many .357 loads out of a gun that size though. Even the .38 +p loads get tiresome after about 50 shots.

VIP Member
    I've held the basic LCR and I can only imagine the .357 to be fatter and less appealing. Oh, and I also agree that I wouldn't care to shoot .357 powder kegs from any vapor weight. My joints and balance control isn't what it use to be.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Alarm Guy View Post
    38 or 357? I like the idea of all the ammo options you can load in the 357 model.

Does the extra four ounces really make any difference if you pocket carry? I would probably just shoot 38+ p anyway, but it would be cool to have the option of 357s!

They also have the new 38 with the boot grip and night sight. Anyone have this version yet?
    4 ounces might not seem like much hanging on the belt but 4 ounces in the pocket is quite a bit. If you were going for belt carry I would say go with the .357. For pocket carry I would go with the .38
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Thats what I was thinking. It will be for pocket carry only as a backup, or as a gun I throw into my jacket pocket while at my local liquor store.

I you are looking for a really light gun, I would consider the .38+P. Mine weighs just under 1 pound, fully loaded!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

If you go with the boot grip there a 1/2 lighter than the standards, I'd go for the 357 just because it's nice to have options. It's a BOOMER for sure, Good luck

"Sturm, Ruger & Company has introduced a steel-frame, .357 Magnum version of its Lightweight Compact Revolver (LCR).

The LCR-357 is the newest addition to the LCR revolvers, chambering the .357 Magnum in a compact, five-shot revolver that weighs 17.1 ounces. Although the same size as the original LCR chambered for .38 Special +P, the LCR-357's new blackened stainless steel frame easily handles full-power .357 magnum loads. Its weight effectively tames recoil when coupled with the LCR's patented recoil-absorbing polymer fire control housing and Hogue cushioned Monogrip.

The double-action-only LCR-357 boasts the patented friction-reducing cam introduced in the original LCR. The revolver employs a non-stacking trigger pull.

"The new LCR-357 is perfectly optimized for the .357 Magnum," according to Joe Zajk, Ruger's chief engineer for revolvers. "Its 17.1 ounce weight is just heavy enough to make shooting full-house .357 loads manageable, yet it is still small and light enough for discreet carry. It has all the features that made the original aluminum-framed LCR in .38+P such a success, but, with the steel frame, we now offer a model that makes shooting .357 Magnum a practical reality."

The new LCR-357 retails for $575 and accepts all accessories available for the original LCR, including holsters, speed loaders and sights. The Crimson Trace Lasergrip model is also now available for those who desire fast, low-light target acquisition in a more compact grip".
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -- Thomas Jefferson

I have the basic LCR. Love it. Lighter than the .357 version. I don't pocket carry tho. I wear it OWB and it carries wonderfully. Sometimes forget it's there after wearing it a little while.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

After putting 25 rounds of +p through my LCR .38 +p today, I've changed my mind on picking up the LCR in .357 magnum. The range trip today was a huge eye opener as far as the power to weight ratio goes. No more light weight cannons for me. I realize these are not range guns, but I do like to train with what I carry.

I'd seriously suggest getting the .357 LCR and load it with the .38 +p round or even the heaviest standard pressure .38 load you can get your hands on. If you just gotta have the .357 power house and that's what you intend to carry, I'd go SP 101 in a 3" configuration and skip the LCR altogether. I have decided that's my next revolver, and I'll deal with the carry weight. YMMV

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I have the .38 but honestly if I wouldn't have gotten a smokin' deal on it (330 brand new) then I would have bought the .357. Just the idea of shooting different loads and also having the extra weight to tame the .38+p's is very appealling to me.

VIP Member
    Things’ are slow on the forum today due to New Years Eve so I’m back on this thread.

Anyway, I prefer steel .357 revolvers but seldom shoot 357-ammo. Instead, I shoot Buffalo Bore 158+P which is plenty stout all by itself. I simply like the weight and extra margin the stainless .357 frame/barrel offers. However, in light alloy or vinyl guns, compromises are required for stability and accuracy. The LCR is dimensionally larger than some steel variants and it's typically a bit thicker to match the tensile strength of comparable metal alloys.

As for pocket carry I would go a slightly different direction while maintaining density over mass in balance with a desired cartridge. Personally, I'm eyeing the S&W 317 for this summer. Oh well, for every plus there’s an equal minus.

Regards,
    Dan
    Last edited by Saber; December 31st, 2010 at 10:12 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

The pink one.

Ooooh, you mean caliber

I have (well, girlfriend has) a LCR .38, and it's . . . potent I wouldn't shoot .357 out of something like it unless I had to. OTOH, if it were for me, I'd kinda like the option, even if I didn't exercise it. I did switch to the Hogue Tamer grip for it though, the GF couldn't really handle the lasergrip on it. It's for sale over in the proper forum, btw

I purchased the .357 LCR for the reason that with it, I'll have a choice of what I want to shoot out of it, .38, .38+P or .357

On my first and only trip to the range, I shot 50, .38 and 50 .357s out of it and it was a Blast. This is not a range gun, but it was fun shooting all those .357s

For people that say, they do not want to shoot .357 out of a gun that weighs 13oz, the .357 version weighs 4 more oz and is made of steel instead of aluminum and I think that makes it easier to shoot. Try one before you chose, you might see it differently.

Anyone in my area, I would be happy to let you try it out.
    02PSD4ME

wife bought me the 38 LCR. Pretty stiff when shooting 158g swc. I do like its compact size. It's exactly what I wanted to replace my pocket carry P3AT.
    NRA Life Member

Links