Colt New Agent range report

This is a discussion on Colt New Agent range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As per another post I just got a new colt new agent and today I spent a while testing and playing with it. First let ...

Thread: Colt New Agent range report

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

Colt New Agent range report

As per another post I just got a new colt new agent and today I spent a while testing and playing with it. First let me say that I am very happy with this gun and the results that I got with a variety of ammo! In total I fired 184 rounds through her without a single problem. I tried 5 different SD ammo's and the remainder FMJ's and I got some pretty suprising results.
    ALL SHOOTING @ 10 YARDS
    First I shot 50 rounds of 230grain FMJ's some fast some slow and they ran without a hitch seemed to hit with reasonable accuaracy no complaints at all.

Second I shot two magazines of 230grain Federal Hydra-shoks they were surprisingly soft on the recoil. They hit 2" low but held in a three inch group with all 14 rounds.
    Third I shot two magz of 165grain Federal Hydra-shoks they were the lightest of all in the recoil department. They hit a little less than 2" low and grouping was a little over 3 inches.
    Fourth I shot Corbon 165grain+P WOW they were very agressive on the recoil! still manageable but for a light grain they HIT!!! They only hit 1" low at 10 yards and grouped at just over 2 inches.
    Fifth were Golden Saber 230grain They were medium recoil and at 1.5" low they grouped a little over 2.5 inches. Nice all around load.
    Last of the SD ammo was Golden Saber 185grain+P Hit harder than the 230's but not as Hard as the Corbons. only around an inch low and solid 2" grouping.

After all that I ran another 50 rounds of FMJ's through the pistol and cleaned it. I decided to used the 165grain+P corbons so post cleaning I ran two more mags out of it as fast as possible and the pistol handled it very well. In all I am very pleased with this pistol! it is a no frills pure carry weapon! I am by no means a good shot but the trench sight worked very well and was very easy to get used to.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    The New Agent is on my wish list. Thanks for the report. Good to hear it handled different types of ammo well.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Thanks for the review, sounds like a great gun.

Good report Dragman. Congrats on your New Agent.

Not very many folks seem to appreciate the New Agent. The trench sights (or lack of sights) really throw them off; still, it only took me about two mags to get used to them.

I've had a New Agent for two years and just love it. It's a beautiful little Colt. I've been pleasantly surprised by its accuracy and excellent reliability.

Let's face it: the New Agent is a point and shoot pistol for up close encounters of the very nasty kind. You know, a'la Hicks with his sawed-off shotgun in Aliens :)

Here's a picture of my New Agent, FWIW.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    They are a unique yet awesome gun!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    They are a unique yet awesome gun!
    Very true. I love the little bugger.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Nice. My EDC is its lighter cousin the Defender. Been a great gun for me.

Congrats on the new addition and thanks for the the range report. I believe I've mentioned it on your other post as well. But I own a Colt Defender and it's my prefered carry gun.

Links