Picked Up My First Handgun. Or Two. Or Three…

This is a discussion on Picked Up My First Handgun. Or Two. Or Three… within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GunGeezer With experience comes Glock! LOL I was thinking the opposite. With NOOBNESS comes Glock. Once he gets some experience (shooting and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picked Up My First Handgun. Or Two. Or Three…

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    With experience comes Glock!
    LOL I was thinking the opposite. With NOOBNESS comes Glock. Once he gets some experience (shooting and gun ownership) he is going to want a 1911 or a sweet revolver.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

My suggestion would be to go with another PPS or LCP. I would suggest the PPS as it's a major caliber, but if you're comfortable with a .380 being your only weapon that is better than nothing and I would suggest working on head and neck shots. Both of you carrying the same weapon means you can share holsters, share mags, carry extra spare mags and ammo in a bag in your car that work for both, and you both know how to operate each others weapon if you'd need to.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

VIP Member
    Welcome to the gang, and enjoy your newly acquired arsenal.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Great handgun selections here, that mainly mirror my own choices. But remember that a .380 is about half as powerful as a .40 S&W round. If I were you, I would focus on the Walther PPS as your carry gun. Your wife should be able to conceal the PPS in a purse just fine. Just get another one for yourself, and go with a good IWB holster.

The grip of the PPS can be enhanced nicely by adding a $10 Limbsaver Pro Handgun Grip sleeve. Makes the gun more comfortable to shoot. Here is what it looks like on my .40 PPS.

If you want to soften the recoil of either of your .40's, the DPM Systems recoil reduction system is available for both of your guns. I've got it installed in my PPS above.

Here is what it looks like inside the gun:

And here it is installed in my M&P 40:

This is a bit pricey accessory, though. But worth it if you want to take out some of the snap in the .40 S&W's recoil. Costs $75 from the US distributor:

http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/...roducts_id=976

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Welcome to the gang, and enjoy your newly acquired arsenal.
    Much thanks. Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP4ever View Post
    My suggestion would be to go with another PPS or LCP. I would suggest the PPS as it's a major caliber....
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Great handgun selections here, that mainly mirror my own choices. But remember that a .380 is about half as powerful as a .40 S&W round. If I were you, I would focus on the Walther PPS as your carry gun. Your wife should be able to conceal the PPS in a purse just fine. Just get another one for yourself, and go with a good IWB holster.

The grip of the PPS can be enhanced nicely by adding a $10 Limbsaver Pro Handgun Grip sleeve. Makes the gun more comfortable to shoot. Here is what it looks like on my .40 PPS.

If you want to soften the recoil of either of your .40's, the DPM Systems recoil reduction system is available for both of your guns. I've got it installed in my PPS above....
    Good food for thought. Thanks to you both!

Went browsing at Cabela's earlier today and didn't feel right making another purchase just yet. Am determined to focus on what we have in the arsenal for now.

Believe I'm set on making the PPS my primary. Seeing as the wife doesn't flinch with a PPS .40, we may just get her at least a 9mm for CC, if not a .40. Am thinking we may eventually cross shop the Kahr PM models with the Sig P290 once it comes out. As you both mentioned, we may darn well end up with another PPS. Her current purse is kinda small though. She may have to upsize her purse to accommodate the PPS, which could be a hard sell with her (she definitely likes the PPS though, so maybe not such a hard sell after all).

I'll have to take a further look at the grip addon too, especially as we make more visits to the range. I do find myself shying away from the PPS (and definitely the LCP) at the bench and sending a lot more rounds through the M&P.

Also appreciate the tip on the recoil spring. I haven't even researched anything like that yet. Am having enough trouble with the holster selection still. Every time I find one I think I want to buy/try, I see a link to another one that looks even better. I'll likely end up making a noob post in the holster forum here before finally committing to one. Still waiting on the CHL to come in though, so no hurry there.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    The Limbsaver is a fantastic add-on for the PPS. And at only $10, you can't go wrong with it. You could get one for the M&P too, if you find that you like it a lot. Although the grip and feel of the M&P is already so very good, it hardly needs it. The Limbsaver model I got for the PPS is their model # 2013, which you can read about here:

http://www.limbsaver.com/2010/produc...ro_handgun.php

The DPM recoil system actually has a total of 4 springs. Besides the two external springs that you see in the photos, there are two more interior springs inside the guide rod. They all work together to help soften and smooth out the felt recoil.

Here is a cut-out view which shows the internal design with the additional springs inside:

And here is a most informative video showing a 9mm PPS being fired with the DPM Systems unit installed in it. Check it out below:

Get her the LCP in Raspberry. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Ex Member
    Good start. Welcome!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links