Picked Up My First Handgun. Or Two. Or Three…

This is a discussion on Picked Up My First Handgun. Or Two. Or Three… within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Longtime listener at DC--first time caller. :) Made my first handgun purchase a couple months ago. Heeded the sage advice from members here and went ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked Up My First Handgun. Or Two. Or Three…

Picked Up My First Handgun. Or Two. Or Three…

Longtime listener at DC--first time caller. :)

Made my first handgun purchase a couple months ago. Heeded the sage advice from members here and went to several gun shows/shops beforehand. Darn near ended up handling every semi-auto currently on the new market. Didn't get to shoot any before purchase though, unfortunately.

I wound up buying the M&P 40 as my first handgun. It just felt right in my hands. Not the sweetest trigger by far, but I'm getting used to it (or it's getting better, one or the other, or both). I really love this gun. It's a very comfortable shooter. Absolutely zero issues after over 300 rounds between range practice and CHL qualifying.

About a month after I bought the M&P 40, the wife didn't want to share anymore (she wanted her own pistol for CHL qualifying). Her hands are smaller than mine, so we were looking primarily at single stacks. She wound up liking the Walther PPS in 40 cal after shopping around extensively, again. I couldn't argue with her choice. Based on my research, the PPS appears to be a reliable gun today. A few days after the Walther purchase, we both took the CHL training required in TX. The wife shot the PPS like a champ. No problems. No complaints. It really does appear to be a quality piece.

Not done yet though! About a week ago, I was bored on Christmas vacation (ut oh). I'd been looking at pocket guns... and it happened. Bought the LCP. Took it to the range and got about 50 rounds through it without a hitch. Love it. Been wearing it around the house until the CHL arrives. The gun just disappears in my pocket (w/pocket holster).

Plans change day to day of course, but for now each gun has a purpose in my family:

M&P 40 - Home Defense (on end table during day, nightstand at night)
    PPS 40 - Road Trips? (currently researching holsters for carry options; tips welcome)
    LCP - My primary carry (for now)
    ??? - Want to get the wife something similar to the LCP for her purse/pocket. Bodyguard 380 is high on the list. Haven't counted out revolvers. Her call though. (again, tips welcome here)

Anyway, enough rambling. Here's a snapshot of the new babies:

guns.jpg

Huge thanks to all the frequent contributors here. Your posts are a tremendous help to lurking noobs like myself.

2. Remove Ads

Being an admitted noob, if you plug in WMLS in the search function, it will bring up a number of Weapon Mounted Light related threads that would be worth your perusal.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    ??? - Want to get the wife something similar to the LCP for her purse/pocket. Bodyguard 380 is high on the list. Haven't counted out revolvers. Her call though. (again, tips welcome here)
    Just get another LCP, there is no rule that says you can't have 2.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Being an admitted noob, if you plug in WMLS in the search function, it will bring up a number of Weapon Mounted Light related threads that would be worth your perusal.
    Good tip. Much appreciated. I perused a couple of good threads on that topic just now. I can totally respect both sides of that debate.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    Just get another LCP, there is no rule that says you can't have 2.
    Good point! I definitely won't rule out another LCP.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    M&P40 compact.. it seems to me you two love the .40cal round like me. Why not the M&P40 compact then you can put your full size mags into the compact for that extra round capacity.
    With the link I posted below you can change the compact into a range gun as well.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/x-grip-s...p-compact.html
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Welcome to the forum!
    Rather like the .40cal myself.
    Many acquaintances of mine have gone for the S&W M&P pistol. The Walthers? I can see the ergonomics basically. Sort of attracted to a P-22 myself in ways. Pocket guns are something I've never been into myself. My wife also got the benefit of extensive research and testing for her carry. We went through the gamut with revolvers and pocket pistols. My wife actually goes for the feel and trigger pull, me for ergonomics. I'd like to think my favoritism for the Glocks had no influence, but I don't think I'll ever know this for fact since that's what she ended up with and qualifying with for her permit. During the trial days at the gun shops and what not.......I tried out those she was interested in as well. For our own reasons (collectively), settled on the bottom line being 9mm. If the trigger pull on the Kel-Tec wasn't so bad, my wife might have ended up with that. The Ruger LCR didn't really make an impression.
    Anyway, wishing you and your wife the best, and finding the bottom line. Nothing like having your best partner in life carry with you. Increasing the odds is always good. Then there's the separation when she wants to go alone, and your knowing she can take care of herself without you. You'll find out what's best in short order together. Married couples and both CC make up a rather small percentage from what I see here. Many hope for their spouse to get into it, and some are willing to accept that their spouse may be rather reluctant. Mysterious ways, but my wife taking up CC herself makes me whole. I simply gave her the ammo and opportunity and she ran with it. I take comfort in knowing my wife can take care of herself because I know I can't be there for her all of the time. Precious moments and a more secure future. Stick around, and get your wife into the forum as well. She may ask more questions without your influence. This...in turn may help her focus more. Plenty of female CCers here with good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Why not the M&P40 compact then you can put your full size mags into the compact for that extra round capacity.
    Nice. I never knew they made that kind of conversion extension for the M&Pc. We'll have to go check that gun out again and see if it fits the bill. I'd want something thinner for concealment personally, but it's up to the wife on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ... wishing you and your wife the best, and finding the bottom line. Nothing like having your best partner in life carry with you.
    Thanks. Sounds like I'm following your footsteps pretty much. Am happy my wife became interested in self/family defense at the same time I did, but it never crossed my mind that she'd be so receptive and actually want to carry her own. I grew up with my dad owning guns, shooting, hunting, etc., but mom never touched a gun, much less shot one. Again, am proud of the wife for handling the PPS for now. That thing stings. Not as much as the LCP, but it still smarts.

Thanks. Sounds like I'm following your footsteps pretty much. Am happy my wife became interested in self/family defense at the same time I did, but it never crossed my mind that she'd be so receptive and actually want to carry her own. I grew up with my dad owning guns, shooting, hunting, etc., but mom never touched a gun, much less shot one. Again, am proud of the wife for handling the PPS for now. That thing stings. Not as much as the LCP, but it still smarts.
    My wife and I both come from extensive backgrounds in firearms. Her through her father (firearms expert for the government) and country living, and me from my former military experience and support for the 2A. We make a good team.

Here's the M&P and the M&Pc just to compare the sizes, you and the wife are off to a good start congrats on the new weapons and welcome to the site.
    Attached Images
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    good choice in guns
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    With experience comes Glock!

You're off to a great start. You'll need a revolver or two, plus some .22 plinkers, then you'll get into rifles and shotguns. Welcome to FA (Firearms Anonymous)...coffee is in the back.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Great choice in handguns. I have the LCP for BUG carry, and a PPS in 9mm for primary that is my current rotation. I like carrying the PPS in a cross breed mini tuck holster. It is comfortable for all day carry. I like the PPS so much that I am thinking of another in .40 as well.. that would allow me to reuse holsters, etc.

Good luck!

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    IF you're looking at another "pocket rocket" type, try the Ruger LCR. If the wife is not recoil sensitive (which I assume she probably is not if she is shooting the .40 s&w out of the PPS) the .38 +p is a very adequate defensive round. When you pick it up you will be frightened at how light the LCR is. Just another something to look at. I thought about getting one in .357 mag myself... I still might.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by rson63 View Post
    Here's the M&P and the M&Pc just to compare the sizes, you and the wife are off to a good start congrats on the new weapons and welcome to the site.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    good choice in guns
    I'm happy with em too so far. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    With experience comes Glock!
    I'll admit I did most of my gun research earlier in 2010 and didn't get to handle a gen 4 Glock when I was shopping for a fullsize. The gen 3 didn't feel right in my grip compared to the M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    You're off to a great start. You'll need a revolver or two, plus some .22 plinkers, then you'll get into rifles and shotguns. Welcome to FA (Firearms Anonymous)...coffee is in the back.
    lol Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    Great choice in handguns. I have the LCP for BUG carry, and a PPS in 9mm for primary that is my current rotation. I like carrying the PPS in a cross breed mini tuck holster. It is comfortable for all day carry. I like the PPS so much that I am thinking of another in .40 as well.. that would allow me to reuse holsters, etc.

Good luck!
    Very good info, and much appreciated. I'm leaning heavily to going the same route.

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    IF you're looking at another "pocket rocket" type, try the Ruger LCR. If the wife is not recoil sensitive (which I assume she probably is not if she is shooting the .40 s&w out of the PPS) the .38 +p is a very adequate defensive round. When you pick it up you will be frightened at how light the LCR is. Just another something to look at. I thought about getting one in .357 mag myself... I still might.
    Thanks. I'll check the LCR out. We haven't handled one yet. The next purchase will indeed likely end up being a pocket rocket for the wife. As for me, I'll probably go the way of RockStrongo and carry the PPS and LCP once my CHL comes in (and after a little more holster research).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links