PPK/S Hammer issues

This is a discussion on PPK/S Hammer issues within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just lately, my normally very reliable old Interarms PPK/S has been failing to lock the hammer back for subsequent shots on maybe every 8th or ...

Thread: PPK/S Hammer issues

PPK/S Hammer issues

Just lately, my normally very reliable old Interarms PPK/S has been failing to lock the hammer back for subsequent shots on maybe every 8th or 10th round or so. So; I shoot the first shot DA and then every shot after should be SA, except that sometimes it doesn't stay locked back...what could it be? I tried both the stock 20# and reduced power 17# recoil spring; both new ones from Wolff.
    Last edited by druryj; January 1st, 2011 at 02:11 PM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not too sure about that although I'd try the original springs and/or contact a certified Smith'. You may also want to seek advise on the 'Walther' forums. There are some issues with the PPK that surface now and then. Conversely, there was a factory recall of the PPK earlier in the year so you may want to contact Smith/Walther too. Yes, I know your gun is older but the issue may still have a similar latent defect. Anyway, its worth a shot (sorry, couldn't resist).

Examples:
    http://www.waltherppks.com/
    http://waltherppks.com/?p=170
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-ppks-pistols/

Walther Forum:
    http://www.waltherforums.com/showthread.php?t=11244

Regards,
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Fixed! Dug around all over the net and Walther Forum for similar issues. I just completely tore it down and replaced the hammer block, extractor plunger, and all the springs with a Wolffe Service pack; using the 17 lb recoil spring instead of the stock 20 lb spring, and shooting Speer Lawman, Blazer Brass, and Fiocchi 95 grain .380; ran 150 rounds through it yesterday with not a single issue. Man, this little gun just flat out shoots. It is incredibly accurate and it was a blast to run the rounds through it trouble free. Glad to have figured it out. Lots of people fault this gun; it is a very old design from way back in like the early 1930's but it's solid, accurate...and beautiful. Me likey!

Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    Fixed! Dug around all over the net and Walther Forum for similar issues. I just completely tore it down and replaced the hammer block, extractor plunger, and all the springs with a Wolffe Service pack; using the 17 lb recoil spring instead of the stock 20 lb spring, and shooting Speer Lawman, Blazer Brass, and Fiocchi 95 grain .380; ran 150 rounds through it yesterday with not a single issue. Man, this little gun just flat out shoots. It is incredibly accurate and it was a blast to run the rounds through it trouble free. Glad to have figured it out. Lots of people fault this gun; it is a very old design from way back in like the early 1930's but it's solid, accurate...and beautiful. Me likey!
    So, what was the maintenance history before, on how many rounds? Did it turn out the PPK/S blew its springs after a few hundred, or had this been an old warhorse with no known maintenance since manufacture?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    So, what was the maintenance history before, on how many rounds? Did it turn out the PPK/S blew its springs after a few hundred, or had this been an old warhorse with no known maintenance since manufacture?
    Bought in 1995; nothing replaced outside recoil springs every few thousand rounds; just routine cleaning after shooting. What I think was happening was that the extractor spring, maybe the plunger too, had worn enough to NOT effectively engage the detent in the manual saftey..and/or the hammer block or its spring was also worn.

Links