New Ed Brown Special Forces 1911....

This is a discussion on New Ed Brown Special Forces 1911.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice looking firearm. I never could understand why these makers think the 3 hole Aluminum trigger looks GOOD on a 1911. HECK dark anodize the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Ed Brown Special Forces 1911....

Administrator
    Nice looking firearm.

I never could understand why these makers think the 3 hole Aluminum trigger looks GOOD on a 1911.

HECK dark anodize the doggone trigger & get rid of the three 1950s Unidentified Flying Object Look stupid looking gimmick drilled holes.

The Aluminum trigger is light enough without the spaceship portholes drilled into it.

I know I'm nit picking but, that is one of the dumbest looking cosmetic only features ever added onto a 1911 pattern pistol.

We are all are so used to seeing bright Aluminum 3 bullet hole triggers that we're visually brainwashed into thinking that it actually looks good and "cool" when it's (in reality) quite an extremely dumb looking useless add on feature.

Really, when you see a nice, custom 1911 without/minus the ventilated ugly cheap looking silver anodized trigger...you appreciate how much BETTER the gun looks without it.

2. Remove Ads

I also don't like the SF on the slide but other than that, the price is 1995, the slide operates like a hot knife through butter and guns and ammo says they fired 5000 rounds out of the box with zero failures. I got to handle one at Cabellas as I'm trying to talk my wife into a Christmas present .

Matter of taste. I prefer the look of the Videcki trigger or a skeletonized carbon fiber trigger. I don't like the look of a solid trigger on a 1911. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by David III
    Rob -- any comments on the differences would sure be appreciated. "Whole different league?" I'm asking because one of these days, I'm going to get a really top end 1911 and I'm stuck between Wilson and Ed Brown.
    Thanks!
    Dave
    Dave,
    The biggest "problem" my friend had was the wave mark the safety was leaving on the frame. Brown, IIRC, is an operation of Ed Brown, and his one (or two) son(s), handfitting these. What he told my friend was, "That's normal..." well, yes and no. Most safeties will have a taper- assuming the mounting pin as the axis, the safety will curve slightly toward the frame. This allows for a good fit within the 1911 frame specs. While I won't directly compare myself with Brown and Co, I refurbed a sloppy Colt Commander that this same friend owns, and the safety does not drag- judicious use of a med grit stone. Conversely, a 1911 I basically did a fast fit on, so I could take it on a week long trip, did drag.....until I got back. It's a matter of time spent.

Brown has an excellent rep, and this was the first complaint I've heard (not that I'm a big 1911 groupie, though). The attitude really rubbed me the wrong way. Everyone turns out a bad copy, now and then, its how they deal with the issue that speaks the most to me.

Caveat: again, this was second-hand, but I've known this friend for 15 years. He can be "persnikety", but if the complaint is reasonably addressed, he's a customer for life.

Wilson is a much larger operation, with more machinists/operators, so you get the benefit of a very select (but relatively more numerous) group of smiths. Honestly, Brown and Wilson are both beyond my reach, but, statistically, I would go with Wilson. If you can look at and handle a couple of Brown's, before you buy, I'm sure they're "as good"(oh, so relative! ), but you might want to make sure the fit and finish were what you expect to pay for, for the individual specimen.

Actually, I forgot to mention the Videcki style trigger - got to agree with QK on that item, a solid trigger with beveled front edge would look oh so sweet. Coated, uncoated, makes no difference to me.
    Jack

OD*
    Yep, I prefer a solid, smooth faced trigger.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Rob - thanks for the update. I've handled one Ed Brown at Tulsa and a bunch of Wilson's at SHOT a few years back.
    I'm going to drive over to Ed Brown's place this fall (I live maybe 30 minutes from him) and kind of see what he's like.
    Agreed on the customer service part, if it's not there, then I'm not interested.
    Pretty much all "pipe dream" stuff anyway for me. I'm very happy with my little herd of Colts.

David:
    When that "little herd" get to be too much for you, feel free to send them my way. They'll be well cared for, promise!
    Jack

JD
    Administrator

ugly triggers

Well QK you gotta admit that the three hole design is better than some of the triggers with a letter engraved in it How goofy is having a big "E" on your trigger? So what if EGW worked on your 1911, it still looks stupid. IMHO I think all the holes are good for is to fill up with crud and make me go insane with a Q-Tip. As soon as I fill out my stable of 1911s a little more, the 3 holer in my Springfield is going away...

Oh yeah, as for DD grips, check out pickagrip.com or esmeralda's site. Sorry I can't post links, I lost most of what I had in a recent computer crash. :(
    Jack

OD*
    Jack,

Here are some nice double diamonds, very resealable.
    http://www.cdnninvestments.com/1911.html
    I've bought six sets of stocks from them and have been very pleased.
    Last edited by OD*; July 16th, 2006 at 11:32 AM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

This enough to make one drool on the keyboard.

Ed Brown

I have an Ed Brown Executive Carry that I carry nearly every day. I have about 2500 rounds through the pistol and it is realiable. Easy to carry in a Brommeland Max Con V and nice to shoot. I shoot as well or better with this pistol as I do with my 5" Rock River Arms EC. The wear I have on the gun is from use, holstering, and I have no problem with it. If it ever gets too worn, I will have it refinished. The bobtail fits my hand well. Cost was about $2100 and worth every penny, as I carry it every day and know that it will work when I need it to. The Wilson is a fine gun also as is the RRA. I recommend that you shoot each and pick what fits you and what suits you. I prefer checkering. My Brown has 25 LPI and the RRA is 20 LPI and much more grippy. In fact it will make you bleed if your hands are not used to the sharp 20LPI.

Irighti
    "Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength. Industry and determination can do anything that genius and advantage can do, and many things that they cannot" TR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links