New Ed Brown Special Forces 1911....

This is a discussion on New Ed Brown Special Forces 1911.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a Wilson Combat CQB owner and I really like my Wilson's, but I have to say this is one great looking 1911. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ed Brown Special Forces 1911....

New Ed Brown Special Forces 1911....

I am a Wilson Combat CQB owner and I really like my Wilson's, but I have to say this is one great looking 1911. I really like that it has such a clean slide, only having the "Special Forces" text on one side and nothing on the other. I really like that there are no forward cocking serrations to detract from the look. I would really love to try the chainlink grip texture and see if it is as effective as the fine checkering on my Wilsons. According to the article his Gen III finish gives the gun a matte black coating.

Very Nice would'nt you say????
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Looks great. I would rather the special forces was not on the slide , but the rest looks excellent.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

A friend recently ordered a Brown Cobra Carry. On receipt, it had some finish/fit issues (normally not a big deal, but on a $2500 pistol, he wanted to put his own knocks on it. Safety was leaving rub tracks on the frame.) He was basically told this was normal/expected, and not to sweat it.

The dealer he bought it from was good enough to take the Brown back, and ship a comparable Wilson. My friend says the Wilson is in a whole different league (this from an AUG/HK/Steyr owner. "High-end" is nothing new to him.).

Assistant Administrator
    Certainly very desirable but I'll bet well outside any budget I might muster!!

<perhaps I can ''borrow'' one for test!>
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    A friend recently ordered a Brown Cobra Carry. On receipt, it had some finish/fit issues (normally not a big deal, but on a $2500 pistol, he wanted to put his own knocks on it. Safety was leaving rub tracks on the frame.) He was basically told this was normal/expected, and not to sweat it.

The dealer he bought it from was good enough to take the Brown back, and ship a comparable Wilson. My friend says the Wilson is in a whole different league (this from an AUG/HK/Steyr owner. "High-end" is nothing new to him.).
    Rob -- any comments on the differences would sure be appreciated. "Whole different league?" I'm asking because one of these days, I'm going to get a really top end 1911 and I'm stuck between Wilson and Ed Brown.
    Thanks!
    Dave

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    gotta say,all you above posters have read my mind(or I yours).

For me >> the weapon looks great except for the SpecFor on the slide. The nothing else part,I like. I love the very rough grips. Front strap especially. The above pic looks as if they would be great for me.

I don't want or need the forward cocking serations(press to check)either. Hate the look,hate the feel.

I have a grip safety(memory groove) like the above on my competition Colt. Love it. You can feel how high the web of your hand is placed. It also seems to keep me from having to reposition my grip when the pistol torques during rapid fire drills.

Can't understand why someone would want a mag bumper pad that thick without a beveled mag well either. Probably just slapped in for the pic.(Probably a Wilson mag anyway)

Finaly this weapon would be a "great to be the proud owner of" type of thing,BUT............like P95,I too feel that it would be somewhat outside my budget.

For CCW--> when you have a pistol or revo that is reliable(to your standards) and accurate(to your standards) and with an appearance that you can live with, to me throwing another $2-3K at another carry piece cuz it's cool isn't in my way of thinkin'. For the others out there I say........."buy one,bring it to the range,and please allow me to shoot it".----------

I am sure there is a need/desire for "high end" 1911s but I will have to agree that if it goes bang everytime I want it to and is accurate with in close combat ranges, I am happy. I guess if you are a competative shooter then high end makes sense but for CC? Of course I couldn't resist my Black SS but it was no where near the price of the Browns or Wilsons.

Springfield XD Service 9MM
    Sig Mosquito w/Red Dot
    Taurus 22 Auto Pocket Pistol
    S&W Chief's Special
    Remington 870
    Enfield Mark III
    SA Black Stainless PX9152L
    Browning BPS 12 ga Upland Special

it looks good except the SF on the slide and I'm sure the $$$$ isn't good either

JD
    Administrator

Cost

$$$$$ 3 fingers, 2 toes, and my first born(don't tell the wife, she's armed too) is what I'd give for that fine looking weapon...

JD
    Administrator
    BTW, anyone know where I can get a set DD's that sharp looking
    Last edited by Bud White; July 12th, 2006 at 06:30 PM. Reason: edit out lewd comments

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0
    $$$$$ 3 fingers, 2 toes, and my first born(don't tell the wife, she's armed too) is what I'd give for that fine looking weapon...
    I give my first born for it

Talking

If I paid that much for a 1911, I'd never use it... I'd just wipe it down with a diaper like the Ferrari in Ferris Buellers Day Off...

I'm feeling dirty.

I'm going home to dust off my GLOCK tonight... Well, It needs to be cleaned anyways...

That is a seriously Beatiful Firearm though... No really, I'm serious...
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

JD
    Administrator
    All I know is I can't wait for my CDP Pro to get here....It's been too long since I got that Christmas morning feeling. Honestly, I don't think I'd ever lay down the bills for a Wilson or an Ed Brown, 1500 to 2k is too much money for a current production pistol, I'd rather have a vintage 1911 than the "Top end" models floating around out there.

Anything sticking out the bottom of the grip on a 1911 ruins the look of it. But that's just my personal opinion. That is a good looking gun, but they should have left the mag out. It ruined the picture.

And how can a grip safety have a memory?
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

Love the look of the Ed Brown guns and this one's right up there. Not sure I'd want "Special Forces" stamped on any of my guns, I'll leave that to the guys who've earned that right. Otherwise, it's a beauty - would like to see some detail of the "chain link" strap textures, I generally prefer more traditional serrations or checkering.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links