My wife surprised me

This is a discussion on My wife surprised me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In a good way! My wife took a basic handgun course a few days ago. This was the first time she has gone shooting without ...

Thread: My wife surprised me

Talking My wife surprised me

In a good way!

My wife took a basic handgun course a few days ago. This was the first time she has gone shooting without me. She brought our Glock 19 (primarily used for home defense) and her LCP (daily carry).

Now, my wife is all of 5' 1 3/8" tall (yes, she makes me put the 3/8" in there) with small girl hands. So, I was very surprised when she came home and told me she liked shooting the Glock better than her LCP! And...our G19 has Crimson Trace Lasergrips, which make the grip even thicker.

[As an aside - any of you guys who complain about the thickness of the Glock grip can now officially go to the powder room and turn in your man-cards.]

So - if she can find a way to conceal it, I have a feeling my G26 will find a new owner soon. The instructors repeated the ".380 is too weak" mantra to her...I'm not interested in a caliber war, but if she decides to carry a 9mm, I won't dissuade her. Only issue is that she is a mom of two small kids, which means she is around other moms...so discretion is an absolute.

If she snags my G26, I may get a G27 Gen 4 myself. I've thought about a larger caliber than 9mm for quite some time. I'm fine with 9mm, but just want something else. The .45 Glocks are just too big for my Smartcarry (my needs are also on the discreet side of things)...but the .40 G27 would work. Only lose 1 round capacity vs 9mm (I can live with that) and it can be converted to .357 Sig or 9mm if ammo becomes scarce again. That versatility is a plus.

Oh - and she shot so well the instructor told her to stop shooting...she "didn't need any more practice." Her shots were all dead center with only 2 flyers - almost every one would have severed the spine...game over for BG. I'll take just a little credit for that, seeing as that I've been her primary instructor until now.

Gotta like good surprises!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sounds good. Too bad about having to buy a new gun :)
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

woohoo! Good for her....and you.

Congrats. I can't get my wife or my 17 yr old son to even touch a gun. Wish one of them would go to the range with me. You are a lucky man.

Good for her! Congrats to both of you.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

My wife qualified for her permit with the G19! She now carries the G26.
    Best of luck to the both of you!
    BTW....wives should be surprising at times! LOL!

Congrats to your wife...and good luck on the new purchase if need be. I am lucky in that my wife will go to the range with me. Matter fo fact, she gave me a gift certificate for a new purchase and will be with me when I buy it. Good woman!!
    Better to have and to hold, than to leave in the nightstand.....

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    [As an aside - any of you guys who complain about the thickness of the Glock grip can now officially go to the powder room and turn in your man-cards.]
    Not the thickness as much as the awkward way it fits my hand. I concede, Glock is a great platform, just not for me.

Oh - and she shot so well the instructor told her to stop shooting...she "didn't need any more practice." Her shots were all dead center with only 2 flyers - almost every one would have severed the spine...game over for BG. I'll take just a little credit for that, seeing as that I've been her primary instructor until now.
    She should get her money back!!! That is BLASPHEMY! I don't discount her ability, my wife is a better shot than I and I am not scared to admit it, BUT, I would NEVER tell her she has shot enough and needs no more practice, and I would hope you wouldn't either.

Other than that, congrats on breaking the barrier of the "It's too big to carry" stigma. Happy shooting and stay safe.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    She should get her money back!!! That is BLASPHEMY! I don't discount her ability, my wife is a better shot than I and I am not scared to admit it, BUT, I would NEVER tell her she has shot enough and needs no more practice, and I would hope you wouldn't either.
    This was a basic handgun class, so it was not designed to be a high round count sort of event. Once they were satisfied students understood the basics, that was pretty much the goal.

She really liked the instructors, so I may go to this place myself and take a more advanced class.

As a bonus, members of the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network got a 25% discount!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Nice! Too bad you WILL lose your G26! LOL

But snuggling your G27 on your hip should make you feel better.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Wow. cool story. I always thought the little 380's were uncomfortable to shoot. Now you have to go out and buy another gun. hmmm
    NRA Life Member, Holster Maker
    www.haysholsters.com

Congrats!!! Sounds like a win all the way around. Look at it as an excuse to buy another gun...or several more!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Dang! Wish I could find a gal like that. I actually have to create my own drama when I buy a new toy. All this talk of new guns is causing me to have withdraw symptoms. Anyway, congrats' and hats-off to the Mrs.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

It doesn't surprise me that your wife found the G19 easier to shoot than the LCP. I don't think I have ever heard anyone say the LCP was easy to shoot.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Congrats and good for both of you!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Links