Ruger is at it again....

This is a discussion on Ruger is at it again.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would love it if it were glock or m&p, but lcp's seem cheaply made to me every time I pick one up. I may ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Ruger is at it again....

VIP Member
    I would love it if it were glock or m&p, but lcp's seem cheaply made to me every time I pick one up. I may be the odd ball on this but they feel cheap. I am sure they are great though as ruger makes a good product.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    There is no comparison at all with a Seecamp .380 and either the LCP or Keltec.

The Seecamp is a great deal smaller than these two and is all Stainless Steel... however it is a great deal more expensive and harder to get your hands on it. It is way more of a mouse gun than the others and in a different class being all metal. Its closest comparison is the larger and heavier NAA Gardian .380 which is more affordable and an all Metal .380 pistol as small as the LCP and Keltec.
    Great, you sure told me. Now how was this relevant to the point I was making? The point, in case you missed it, was that the LCP had no real competition in the market place when it was released.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Great, you sure told me. Now how was this relevant to the point I was making? The point, in case you missed it, was that the LCP had no real competition in the market place when it was released.
    You mean besides the Kel-Tec P3AT?
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    You mean besides the Kel-Tec P3AT?
    Post 83 bro. :)
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Well, it will be very interesting to see just how good the trigger pull actually is. Kahr pistols have a heavy DA only pull, but it is so buttery smooth, that it is a joy to shoot.

Nothing in the specs say how heavy the trigger pull is. And honestly, the images make the trigger look pretty flimsy to me. Looks like something on one of the cheapest Taurus pistols.

It is pretty close to a Walther PPS in size. Same thin width. On other dimensions, it is not far off.

The gun that is really interesting to throw into this mix is the new SIG P290, which is also coming out this year. For it also has the exact same thin frame size that that Ruger PC9 and Walther PPS share.

And when you compare dimensions, the SIG P290 has the obvious edge for pocket carry over all of these guns. For it is significantly shorter in length and height than the Ruger PC9.

. . . . . . . . . Ruger PC9 . . Walther PPS . SIG P290

Barrel Length: . . 3.12 . . . . . 3.2 . . . . . 2.9 _ inches
    Length Overall: . .6.0 . . . . . .6.3 . . . . . 5.5
    Height: . . . . . . . 4.5 . . . . . .4.4 . . . . . 3.9
    Weight: . . . . . . .17.1 . . . . 19.4 . . . . 20.5 _ oz

You will probably be able to buy the new Ruger for UNDER $400, though, while street price on the PPS is at $600 So the street price difference between the two guns could be something like $250

However, there are reports that the SIG P290 will have aggressive pricing. If it does, then it could give the Ruger a run for its money. SIG has an established history of building guns with good DAO triggers, so I think that it has the chance of having a much better trigger pull than the Ruger.

The Walther PPS is going to be superior in materials and construction to the Ruger, and it has a Glock type striker action trigger system. So anyone with a Glock, XD, or S&W M&P, is going to feel right at home with its trigger.

For concealed carry, I think that the Walther PPS will have the edge for traditional holster carry, while the SIG P290 is going to be a truly ideal pocket gun. The SIG is also made out of stainless steel, and will be available in either natural stainless finish, or with SIG's Nitron finish over the stainless. The Ruger is somewhere in between the dimensions of these guns, and will sort of be the more affordable alternative for those on a budget.

The bottom line, though, is that we are getting more and more options for very thin, compact pistols to carry concealed. And before 2007, Kahr pretty much had this market to itself, unless one wanted to consider a Kel-Tec PF9.

This makes one wonder: With all of this new competition, is Kahr going to innovate at all and come out with some new products? I can really see them losing market share, if they don't.

At 20.5 oz's the Sig P290 is going to soak up a lot of recoil taming that pocket rocket a little better than the Ruger LC9. I've been looking closely at both of them on their respective websites today.

I can say that after pocket carrying an XD9sc with loaded mag at 27 oz for two summers in shorts and khaki chino's I can say that I'll have no problem pocket carrying a Sig P290.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    And when you compare dimensions, the SIG P290 has the obvious edge for pocket carry over all of these guns.
    - More power to anyone that is comfortable pocket carrying a 20.5oz. gun. I have a Kahr PM9 and I think it's a little large and heavy for comfortable pocket carry, especially when you factor in a holster.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - More power to anyone that is comfortable pocket carrying a 20.5oz. gun. I have a Kahr PM9 and I think it's a little large and heavy for comfortable pocket carry, especially when you factor in a holster.
    The answer to that is to simply buy clothing with roomy pants. Not all pants are created equal when it comes to pocket size and comfort.

So just shop around a little. I certainly have no problem finding slacks that have roomy pockets in them.

Yep, about the only thing I can pocket carry in denim jeans is my LCP. But with slacks, chinos, cargo pants, baggy shorts, I can pocket SP-101 and my XD9sc. So, I'll have no problem with either the Ruger LC9 or the Sig P290 in most things except denim jeans.

And of course there's also coat pockets too!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    . So, I'll have no problem with either the Ruger LC9 or the Sig P290 in most things except denim jeans.
    Tight denim jeans make it about impossible to carry anything in your pocket. I have problems just getting my wallet out of mine.

Just look at what wearing denim jeans drove this man to for his concealed carry solution !!!!!!!!!

If you want the ultimate in concealment, then the five shot .22 caliber NAA revolver is the way to go. It is so extremely weak, though, that it makes even the .380 look formidable.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    If you want the ultimate in concealment, then the five shot .22 caliber NAA revolver is the way to go. It is so extremely weak, though, that it makes even the .380 look formidable.

Yeah but it does come in .22 magnum and I wouldn't like to get shot with a .22 mag. Especially in the face.

Still I don't like rimfire for a defensive round. Unless that's absolutely all you got. That is a cute set up in the picture though.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    Anybody seen a pic of the left side or know if there is a manual safety?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think there was a niche for the LCP. None of the other major players were making a well made "little" pistol. Sure, Keltec makes one but many people don't think Keltecs are all that great. Seacamp makes one but doesn't have the name recognition (or the volume).

The small 9mm pistol market has considerably more players in it. Kahr, Walther, S&W, Taurus, Keltec are just the ones off the top of my head. I'm sure if we dig there are probably at least ten more. IMO Ruger missed the mark on this big time. There is no real niche here, only stiff competition.

What you say is true for sure, but I for one would like to check it out. Right off the bat I'd say I'll probably pick one up. I like the looks of it, and it appears to have all the key controls that I like a auto to have. Normally I'd wait a year or so for a new design to prove itself, but I think Ruger is a solid gun maker and not to concerned with their quality. It kinda conflicts with what I was wanting to get next though. I want to pick up a SP101. I might have to get both.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Anybody seen a pic of the left side or know if there is a manual safety?
    Check the features tab on the ruger site, it has close up pics of the left side. (yes there is a manual safety)
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

LanceORYGUN thanks for the info on the Sig P290, any idea when it will be released? Looking forward to reviews and prices on it and the LC9.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links