The Ruger LC9

This is a discussion on The Ruger LC9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was going to get an LC9 but decided to go a different route. I bought the Beretta PX4 Sub Compact in 40. Now I ...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Ruger LC9

I was going to get an LC9 but decided to go a different route. I bought the Beretta PX4 Sub Compact in 40. Now I will buy an LCP for deeper concealment.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    My local GS had a sale this weekend - couldn't pass up getting one for CCW options. After the initial cleaning, here she is:

No range time yet, but the gun is extremely tight, no visible defects, magazine snaps in nicely, and the trigger pull, while long, has no grittiness and breaks at the end with a clean snap. The sights work well.

Got an extra mag and a temporary nylon IWB holster to hold me over until I find some custom options I like. Box of Corbon DPX, too. All this ran about $400 total. As a special plus, the president of Ruger, Michael Fifer, was there answering questions and offering suggestions to interested buyers - lots of other Ruger guns were on sale as well and the store was slammed with customers.
    Last edited by shockwave; May 22nd, 2011 at 12:29 PM.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Keltec PF9

I had been looking for a LC9 but couldn't find any all sold out before I got there. Dealer had a PF9 NIB for $269 so the temptation was immediate. Bought the pistol and have fired 100rds thru it with one FTE. I have another 100 to 150 rds to fire thru it for the breakin period. I didn't think I could fire a 100 rds at one setting with a small 9mm 115gr FMJ. The recoil was not bad at all and really pleased me. I haven't fired a LC9 as yet but with this pistol I probably won't.

For all those guys who don't want to spend the Ruger price on a pistol try the PF9 and I don't think you will be buying the Ruger at the higher price.

fknipfer1

The felt recoil is about half of the pf9

steve

[QUOTE=atctimmy;1844548]I only paid $400 + tax for my Kahr CW9. A difference of only $40. I think that the Ruger better be cheaper or the CW9 will really hamper sales.[/QUOT I had a cw9.Spent about a hundred dollars trying to break it in.So by my calculations i got ripped off for 525. My LC9 has over 600 assorted trouble free rounds.And I love it.

I've also had two other of the comperable pistols mentioned in this thread(not PPS).Similar experiences with those little turds.I like the LC9 the best simply because I can confidently carry it.It's also the most accurate once you get the trigger down.Also the owners manual says you can shoot +P.They just don't reccomend a steady diet of it.

I also have had a Kahr. I will take the LC9 any day.

steve

Range Report

First time out. Set up a target at 7 yards and put a Birchwood Casey "Shoot 'n' Glo" sticker over the 10-box. Ammo was Remington FMJ 115 gr.

All strings were fired with 7 in the mag and 1 chambered (to replicate how I carry it).

First 8 were all over the target and none in the 10-box, which on this target is about 5 inches across. Some were just barely on the cardboard. This gun has a fair bit of snap to it - much more than the SR9c. I don't know if it's the trigger guard or the grip (I put the extender on both mags so all fingers wrap), but there is absolutely no bite and I could easily shoot 1000 rounds without any problem.

Second 8 were about the same, with one just barely nicking the glow sticker on the left. Now I'm getting worried about the accuracy issues I'd read about.

For the third 8, I settled into a Weaver stance, pulled my right shoulder back a bit, exhaled, and fired on the pause. All 8 in the 10 box.

For the fourth round, tried a string off hand. Again - all over the map.

Fifth round, off-hand shooting, got about half in the box.

Sixth and subsequent rounds I mixed two-handed and off hand, with pretty much all rounds going where I wanted them, and a fair number of x-count bull's eyes. Total fired: 150 rounds. No FTF's or FTE's. The gun was cleaned and lubricated prior to this initial outing.

Impressions

Loading the magazines, and the action of seating a magazine and chambering a round, all got easier and smoother as the session progressed. Just as with the SR9c, the gun gets better as you shoot it. The slide locked back after the last round every time.

This pistol is accurate, pretty much to POA, but you have to concentrate and focus on what you're doing. The best finger position on the trigger (for me) turned out to be most natural position my index finger takes on the trigger after gripping the gun. Which is what you'd want - so that's a plus. Passes the reliability test for daily carry. Unlike my range experiences with the Kel-Tec PF-9 and Kahr CW9, the Ruger LC9 is comfortable to shoot. It has brisk muzzle flip but it's well balanced - much better than the Glock 26, which I find heel-heavy.

Drawbacks: There's a lot of trigger take-up, which you learn to stage, and the mag safety will be a pain to remove. 7+1 isn't a lot of firepower.

the gun is very accurate. You just need more practice...... I find it shoots right where I aim it.

steve

New guy here. I just got my LC9 last Thursday. My GS had them for $349... so $365 out the door.

I hit my local range on Friday. I've only put one box of ball ammo thru it so far... but it performed great with zero issues. My first rounds were a tad right and low... but after a little more practice I was putting them where I wanted at 7-10 yrds. The kick wasn't as bad as I was expecting (based on other's report). I really like the feel. I do prefer the flat mag base instead of the grip extender... more comfortable grip for me. Comes with both mag bottoms in the box with the single mag.

I have more rounds to put thru it but so far so good. Solid little gun!

Cheers!

Welcome to DC.My LC9 purchase is the reason I found and joined this forum.
    SuperRuger101 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    It seems to be about the same size as my taurus 709.
    I've thought about the 709 but am hesitant after hearing negative (as well as good) feedback regarding reliability and customer service on this forum.

I've swtiched gears and have put the LC9 on the top of my want list. My dad has a P-85 and has had a good expierence with Ruger. I'm probably in the minority with liking manual safeties, but that's one advantage IMHO or reason why I'm gonna check the Ruger out.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Today I put rounds 500-600 through the LC9. It's getting quite accurate at the 25-30 ft distance.

The long trigger pull is something you can get used to. All rounds today were 125 gr and I'm thinking this is the best load for the gun.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I've shot the LC-9 a number of times and I must say, though it conceals well, and is comfortable with the mag extension, I can't hit anything with it. I put up a target at 10 yds, and shoot the mag and zero hits. It's puzzling. I've even tried it from bench rest. With my XDm 9mm, I put all the rounds in the 8-10 ring at 10-12 yds consistently. I decided to throw money at the problem and got a CT LG-412 while the rebate was still in effect. Plan to go to the range tomorrow or Wed and we'll see what my problem is. (My partner can't hit with it either).

Then you must be a terrible shot :)

I have no problem hitting what I am aiming at at 10 yards.

steve

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Links