The Ruger LC9

This is a discussion on The Ruger LC9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Fan45acp Yes it does. Look at a Black Hawk and compare it with a Super Black Hawk.The Chamber and Frame are larger ...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Ruger LC9

Quote Originally Posted by Fan45acp View Post
    Yes it does. Look at a Black Hawk and compare it with a Super Black Hawk.The Chamber and Frame are larger on the SBH.I would like a 44 special on a GP 100 sized (smaller) frame .If you would compare a Red Hawk to a GP 100 you can see what I'm trying to explain..Stay Safe..J.H.
    I'll proably buy a Black Hawk in 44 Special.It's made with what looks like the Old Flat Top Frame...NICE.. :)
    Okay, I understand now. I can see the differences and you have no intentions of using magnum loads, I can see where you would want to save on some of the bulk and weight.

My wife's SP-101 in .38 special is essentially the exact same gun in size, weight and dimensions as my SP-101 in .357 magnum with the exception of the very slightly longer cylinder on the magnum. However there are more noticeable differences between the .44 mag and the .44 special in the examples you've given.

I too, would likely only want to shoot .44 special loads for self defense against human predators and not have the use for magnum loadings.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Ruger can keep their pistol, I'll stick with my 9mm PPS.

Stock photo, BTW.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

VIP Member
    If you're going to compete against Kahr then you better bring your A game. This new Ruger offering looks like it's got C- game. I've had a CW9 for about a year and a half (I think) and it is top notch. Aside from price I see the Ruger as inferior in every way.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    Ruger can keep their pistol, I'll stick with my 9mm PPS.

Stock photo, BTW.
    NICE, if only they weren't $600++ on the other hand I have enough Rugers already.

Not everyone has a champagne budget to work with.

I love how a lot of people are touting the superiority of their $500 - $700 pistols over that of a $360 gun. Sheesh, they better be better guns!!! Because if they're not better guns, then a lot of people got taken to the cleaners.

Ruger will be filling a need for a lot of people. An affordable, durable, utilitarian type firearm in a size that customers have been asking for, for those on a beer budget.

They no doubt will be selling a lot of them! I may even be one of the buyers. But maybe not. Who knows? But I do think Ruger will sell a boat load of 'em.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

All I have read about Kahr is unreliability problems, it needs to break in, slide lock and mag issues, much like keltec and taurus...... I eagerly await the Ruger reviews, after the first recall of course.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    All I have read about Kahr is unreliability problems, it needs to break in, slide lock and mag issues, much like keltec and taurus...... I eagerly await the Ruger reviews, after the first recall of course.
    No manufacturer is immune from problems. I own 2 Kahrs and a friend of mine also owns 2. Neither of us has experienced any issues with them that required any assistance from Kahr in the way of repairs, etc... Yes, there are numerous reports out there about the bad ones. You don't hear from the majority of folks whose Kahrs function as designed with no issues....they're too busy enjoying shooting them.

I'm not a fan of Ruger pistols but love my LCR and intend on picking up a SP101 this year. But...I have friends that love their LCP and speak highly of it. I'm sure it will turn out to be a fine pistol....it may have a few hiccups like the LCP but I'm sure Ruger will make it right. Hopefully I will get the chance to shoot one in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

I love how a lot of people are touting the superiority of their $500 - $700 pistols over that of a $360 gun. Sheesh, they better be better guns!!! Because if they're not better guns, then a lot of people got taken to the cleaners.

Ruger will be filling a need for a lot of people. An affordable, durable, utilitarian type firearm in a size that customers have been asking for, for those on a beer budget.

They no doubt will be selling a lot of them! I may even be one of the buyers. But maybe not. Who knows? But I do think Ruger will sell a boat load of 'em.
    I totally agree with Bark'n. At various price points you should expect different pistols. I love Rugers but I also realize that they are not the finest made pistols out there. But they are extremely functional, at least in my experience.

One of the things most people are ticked about are the mag disconnect safety which should probably be easy to disable, a manual safety that really isn't necessary so just keep it off with the DAO trigger keeping your safe and the loaded chamber indicator which really aren't a nuisance.

Is it the "gun we all must have"? No. Will it probably be a good dependable subcompact single stack 9? Lets hope so.

If I can walk out my LGS with an LC9 and one spare mag for $400 or less I'll be happy.

But lets wait a few months and see if I still want one.

It's interesting that the LCP and LC9 are so different...you would think Ruger would make them similar in order to keep the manual-of-arms the same, since you would think they would want customers buying a LC9 as a primary and a LCP as a secondary.

If your pistol has a thumb safety, then IMHO you must train to sweep it to "fire" even if you never carry it set to "safe" because there is always the possibility of the safety getting accidentally set to "safe."

The LC9 has a mag disconnect...the LCP does not.

The LC9 has an internal lock...the LCP does not.

Yes, I understand the legal requirements in some states, but still...

Maybe the mag disconnect and internal lock can be disabled or removed? Maybe Ruger will make a version without the thumb safety? If so, I might be interested. Until then...

BTW - Crimson Trace already has a laser for it! From "The Tactical Wire" newsletter:

Crimson Trace is proud to announce the introduction of its LG-412 Laserguard® for Ruger's just-announced LC9 pistol. The LG-412 Laserguard will hit dealers' shelves to coincide with the ship date of the Ruger LC9
    Last edited by 10thmtn; January 6th, 2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: added info
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    BTW - Crimson Trace already has a laser for it! From "The Tactical Wire" newsletter:

Crimson Trace is proud to announce the introduction of its LG-412 Laserguard® for Ruger's just-announced LC9 pistol. The LG-412 Laserguard will hit dealers' shelves to coincide with the ship date of the Ruger LC9
    - Wow. That's extremely proactive of them. It used to take them a few months to a year to create a laser for newly released guns. That's very exciting news to know that this may be a future trend for them.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Same length as the Glock 26.
    "Slightly" thinner than the Glock 26.
    1/2" taller than a Clock 26.
    3-less rounds than a Glock 26.
    Internal lock.

I'll stay with the Glock. Good effort on Ruger's behalf though.
    That's what I said or you can up the capacity by 2 rounds and carry an M&P like you said only for me , I'll stick with the M&P it is very smart to stick with your Glock. stay safe
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member

I love how a lot of people are touting the superiority of their $500 - $700 pistols over that of a $360 gun.
    I only paid $400 + tax for my Kahr CW9. A difference of only $40. I think that the Ruger better be cheaper or the CW9 will really hamper sales.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I only paid $400 + tax for my Kahr CW9. A difference of only $40. I think that the Ruger better be cheaper or the CW9 will really hamper sales.
    LOL... but some people don't like Moonie Guns.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    LOL... but some people don't like Moonie Guns.
    Nice.
    Mark Twain:

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Nice.

LOL, I'm not saying that's my reason for not buying. Yeah, I don't own one... But I may someday! That likely won't be my determining factor. However, many people here have stated that is their reason for not owning one.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links