The Ruger LC9

This is a discussion on The Ruger LC9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN You are assuming here, however, that everyone is willing to trust their life to a Taurus or a KelTec. . Nothing ...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Ruger LC9

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    You are assuming here, however, that everyone is willing to trust their life to a Taurus or a KelTec.

Nothing wrong with Keltec. Have one carry it trust it. Never failed to go bang when I pulled the trigger. It is as reliable as my G26.

You are assuming you have to have the expensive name brands to be a good gun.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Just the opposite of what they have done for the Walther PPS. Over 3 1/2 years now, and still nothing for the PPS.
    It's probably a volume based decision. I wonder how well the PPS sells.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    It's probably a volume based decision. I wonder how well the PPS sells.
    Actually, probably has to do with the mag release on the PPS - that would interfere with a Laserguard design. The different sized backstraps probably interfere with a Lasergrip. So...no laser yet.

If it sold like gangbusters, maybe they would figure out some way around these issues - but you're right - I don't get the sense that the PPS has become all that popular.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I love Ruger weapons and them as a company. I've got more Rugers than any other single brand. That said, my Taurus PT709 has 1500 flawless rounds through it, so I'm not going to replace it in the line-up. I rarely carry 9mm anymore, so hopefully it won't be 3 more years until a .40 version comes out. Walther PPS in .40 has been out a couple years already. Ruger seems to be a little behind the curve on their offerings, but if they get them right out of the gate then that will more than make up for it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I will be skipping the Ruger LC9 as it has the same dimensions as my ultra reliable Taurus PT709 that I currently have over 2700 problem free rounds through. God Bless

Well, if anyone finds instructions for removing the LC9's internal lock, mag disconnect, and the thumb safety...I might be interested.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

looks like and SR9 and LCP had a baby. I'm not sure I like it

Well, after my parts from Kel-tec didnt fix my PF-9 I had to send it in to them. So yeah, at this point this little Ruger has got my interest peaked. I kind of suspected it would be an issue of time before the made one, but like most everyone, I was sort of surprised by the manual safety and Mag disconnect. Not a deal breaker for me though.

Im anxious to see in one in person. I called my local gun store and asked if they knew about them, when they would expect any. The guy on the phone told me if shipping was supposed to start on Feb 1st he speculated anywhere from 3 to 10 months from now before they got one in based on how Ruger shipped to them. He also mentioned with it being new maybe holding off to get one until they had been out a while. For me, wanting to wait isnt an issue, I wont be ready for another gun purchase for some time anyway. But I appreciated his honesty anyway.

Al
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

I would stick to the XD platform and get a SC if I go smaller than the 4" I currently use. Admittedly wider, but a trusty companion, and hoot to shoot.
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Same here. I was hoping the LC9 would be even closer to the PM9 in size and weight. Although it is good to have competition on the market. It would also be nice to know if the LC9 was rated for +P ammunition. The LCP wasn't.
    Just read two different email replies from Ruger on +P question. If what I read is legit, they don't rate it for +p ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger View Post
    Just read two different email replies from Ruger on +P question. If what I read is legit, they don't rate it for +p ammo.
    At least the Kahr CW9 is rated for +P loads, and the Kel Tec PF9 is rated for limited use of +P ammo also, I just don't understand Ruger's philosophy of listening to the customer. Do they only listen to what they want to hear and disregard the rest? Ruger, hello! We don't want all of the safeties and the internal locks, and we would like to able to carry +P rated self defense ammunition in our pistols thank you very much!
    God bless our troops!

the safety thing is ridiculous, the +P thing is probably more of a liability thing than anything.

Their email reply stated "use of +p ammo would reduce life of gun by 50%" which may be true if that's all you shot. Figured with the extra weight, they'd ok it for limited use?

I read a review of the LC9 the other day, unfortunately I can't remember the site, but anyway - he used several different +p loads when reviewing the gun and never had a problem.

edit: Here is the link Ruger LC9 Review

Quote Originally Posted by tamccain View Post
    I read a review of the LC9 the other day, unfortunately I can't remember the site, but anyway - he used several different +p loads when reviewing the gun and never had a problem.

edit: Here is the link Ruger LC9 Review
    I had read that report. That problem Jeff Quinn had with pierced primers and primer metal shaving off in the firing pin channel is exactly what I've experienced with 3 different PF9s and CorBon ammo. Just sent Ruger email asking about +p rating.

Just received a quick reply from Ruger: "No, the Ruger LC9 is not recommended for use with +p ammunition. This ammunition would reduce the life of the firearm by 50 percent. Recommended ammunition, would be any good American made ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, US, SAAMI or CIP standards." Thought NATO was close to +P? Oh well.....
    Last edited by forestranger; January 13th, 2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: update

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Links