The Ruger LC9 - Page 9

The Ruger LC9

This is a discussion on The Ruger LC9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there any real advantage with +P ammo in a short barrel gun such as these ?? I mean will the BG know the difference ...

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Ruger LC9

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Is there any real advantage with +P ammo in a short barrel gun such as these ?? I mean will the BG know the difference between one that is not +P going at 1050fps vs. a +P round going 1100fps ??? Just my thoughts. God Bless

The bad guy won't know the difference if your shot placement is right
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

I was thinking maybe Ruger doesn't allow +P to prevent any possible warranty work that would come from using +P ammunition? I'm not read-up on long-term testing of barrels using +P ammo (I haven't used it in my older pistol), perhaps it is more harmful to the internal parts and barrel (especially over time)? Maybe there would be MORE warranty work as a result of using +P, so instead they just don't rate it for it. (and thus are able to sell the pistol at a lower price, since they are saving on warranty work)

Just speculation, someone wiser could chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Poor word choice on Ruger's part!

+p

The Walter PPS is clearly rated for +P use. Kel-Tec says limited use with the PF9, but after shooting a couple +P rounds through mine, it locked up, had to be sent back for a rebuild - TWICE. I got a flyer with it upon second return saying they don't recommend +P ammo for the PF9. WHAT?

I called Kel-Tec, talked to a rep, she repeated that same wording, and she seemed to say that they don't recommend +P AT ALL for the PF9. That inconsistency bothered me, but I love the guarantee for life - as long as I own it, they'll fix it for free. I got the PPS 9 wanting better reliability. Yea, early models all had a tolerance error and failure rate was high, but Walther fixed that, reliability is now outstanding, and mine has never failed, handles +P easily. To compare PF9 to PPS is unfair, PPS is in a different class, this obvious from build quality and design, vastly reduced recoil. There are a lot of us PPS fans, it handles remarkably well, very comfortable to shoot, very accurate, love mine, it's my carry piece. I keep and shoot the PF9 to reduce my sensitivity to really nasty recoil. But I'll never carry it again. I'll probably get a LC9 too, because I love the little 9's. I also have the SP-101 .357, very nice too, but not my preference for carry. By the say, I've seen a lot of posts elsewhere that people who get the PPS .40 often trade them for 9's; .40 recoil in such a small package is too harsh for many.

Some experts say +P rounds have better knock-down rates, but that moves toward the caliber wars, which are pretty pointless, against rules of this forum, and not supported by the best studies of what really accounts for knockdown - best FBI data analysis has shown it's the belief of the person shot regarding what people do when shot that accounts for most of drop rate, with power/caliber adding a little to that.

We behavioral scientists go with the best data, FBI has 'em.

drbob
    Last edited by drbob; March 12th, 2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typo

ntg
    FWIW, I got a chance to play with the LC9 next to the Solo, PT709, and the Kahr. The LC9 is long, but smooth. The Solos and Kahr were both pretty good, and personally I think I liked the 709 best (probably because it reminds me of my xdsc). The LC9 grip felt a little odd in my hand, as does the Kahr. The Solo and 709 felt best in my hand. I know the trigger and feel of the gun often feels a little different when actually fired, but I haven't been able to do that with any of these.

My views on the comparable pistols we've been discussing.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

LC9 ?? 9mm is WAY better than .380 but still no "man-stopper"... I think I will save my money and wait for the sub-compact Ruger LC45 in .45 ACP.....ONE shot per customer is all that's needed...... . Are you listening Ruger ??

Saw 'em at a small gunshow in VA this weekend for $369 to $399. With the extended mag - not a bad fit for a guy used to a Springfiled XDM 9mm 3.8 double stack 19 rd and a Springfield Range Officer 1911. Continuing to explore fit and CC holsters - several bigger shows to come in the next month.

los

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Thanks for the chart. They will likely sell well because all of the small 9's have specific feel that appeals to different people. There will be many that like the feel of this gun. I have tried, bought and carried a few different small 9's in the past few months searching for my favorite - most comfortable gun. I think I have settled on the PT709 as well. It's a great combination of ergonomics, weight, shootability and reliability. I know some of the early runs had some issues but Taurus appears to have the kinks worked out and CS has been reported quick - 1 to 2 weeks from what I have been reading and newer owners getting great reliablility out of the box. I started out looking for the smallest, lightest gun I could find. After shooting and buying a few, I discovered that for me - there is a certain minimum weight that I can shoot comfortably and the PT 709 fits the bill for me. YMMV
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

los

One more for the road...

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Lay over of the
    Ruger LC9-Sig Sauer P290-Kimber Solo mini micro 9mm pocket pistols
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    It will be interesting to compare this to the Sig 290. The sig is a bit larger and I'm sure will be more expensive but will also probably have a better trigger which on small pistols is a big selling point for me. On the flip side I don't see either replacing the role my SP101 as a carry piece but I wouldn't mind one as a maxpedition bag gun.
    I do believe the Ruger is larger by a half inch in both height and length. I'd have to get a hold of both before deciding, but both have recently caught my eye.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

I just bought my LC9 a week ago.

It has been absolutely flawless for the first 100 rounds which included target ball ammo, Critical Def ammo, Rem 124+P, and some old Federal 135 HP ammo.

A couple of days after I bought it, I was in a west Michigan gun store that was using a new Kimber Solo as a test range gun. Shot it with 124+P as well as the supplied target ammo (I assume this was not +P). Couldn't get the gun to work. It would not feed the second round (loaded it up with one in the barrel and 6 in the mag each time). Also the black finish on the frame was already chipping off in many areas.

After that experience and after reading a lot of negative reviews about the Solo, I really, really like this LC9.

Did handle a Sig 290 yesterday. Like the Sig since my former LE Agency uses them. But I will find it hard to purchase one at double the price of the Ruger LC9.

I can live without the loaded chamber indicator but I am already getting used to the safety and magazine disconnect.

Trooper Joe

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    A friend stopped by the office today to see if I had my LCP on me (I did). He asked to dry-fire it because he was thinking about getting one, but wanted to feel the trigger. He pulled it about 3/4 of the way and looked at me as though it wasn't working. I said 'keep pulling'... he finally got it to click. Somehow, I don't think Ruger will be selling him an LCP today...
    The trigger is even worse on the LC9. Actually the LCP feels fine and breaks as I was expecting compared to my PM9, but that LC9 is just horrible! I pulled and that the pistol was broke as well and looked up at the sales guy and he said, I know, just keep pulling. Keep pulling? I ran out of pull and it became more of a squeeze!
    CC:
    Glock 19 Gen 3 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Glock 26 Gen 4 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Karh PM9 in a Isotope 7 (made by Gary Brommeland)
    Home Protection:
    Mossberg 500 and Kimber Custom II 1911.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Sponsored Links