Trade in Value of Ruger GP100

This is a discussion on Trade in Value of Ruger GP100 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking of trading in a Ruger GP100. It is in mint condition, blued and a 4inch barrel. I want to get a S&W ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am thinking of trading in a Ruger GP100. It is in mint condition, blued and a 4inch barrel. I want to get a S&W Jframe to carry rather than have a GP100 that I never use.

What would be a reasonable price to trade it for if his is ok to ask on this forum?

List price new is $634. I can find it locally new for $489

Trade in? $300-350ish?

Selling it FTF? $400

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    $300-350 in a trade. FTF always gets you a little more.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I don't know if this matters but it is about 10 years old. I probably shot less than 1000 rounds through it.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I want to get a S&W Jframe to carry rather than have a GP100 that I never use.
    Great decision! I recommend you get a Ruger LCR or a S&W 642.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Great decision! I recommend you get a Ruger LCR or a S&W 642.
    Those are the two I am thinking about or the S&W 442 which I think is just a black color. I don't think I can go wrong with either.

I got my SP101 used for $400. Checking the age by serial number it was made in 1993 but it looks mint and acts like new.

New ones go for $449 (Bud's Gun Shop) up. I am happy with it and the price. Buttery trigger and action. The GP100 should be likewise if as stated.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

Any resources that I could look up trade in value? I could go to several gun shops and ask them but that would take some time since they are not all next to each other. Calling them would be worthless because they always seem to have one guy/gal working that either is really busy or just doesn't seem like they want to talk to you.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Any resources that I could look up trade in value? I could go to several gun shops and ask them but that would take some time since they are not all next to each other. Calling them would be worthless because they always seem to have one guy/gal working that either is really busy or just doesn't seem like they want to talk to you.
    Google "gun values" and look around. Also, check Gunbroker and see what they are going for too. My local store, based on your description, said $295.00-$325.00 without actually seeing it. Blued is worth a little less than the polished SS or so he tells me anyway. I suspect that is because of loss of bluing due to holster ware.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    Google "gun values" and look around. Also, check Gunbroker and see what they are going for too. My local store, based on your description, said $295.00-$325.00 without actually seeing it. Blued is worth a little less than the polished SS or so he tells me anyway. I suspect that is because of loss of bluing due to holster ware.
    Just saw on gunbroker my exact model going for $400 plus $35 shipping plus FFL transfer fee. 2 days left and only 1 bid so far. So this will go at min $455 total to the buyer (unless there is no transfer fee then $435).

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Those are the two I am thinking about or the S&W 442 which I think is just a black color. I don't think I can go wrong with either.
    Awesome! I have the S&W 442 and it is a fantastic snub nose revolver. Nonetheless, if I could do it all over again, I would buy a S&W 340PD in .357 Magnum.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Just saw on gunbroker my exact model going for $400 plus $35 shipping plus FFL transfer fee. 2 days left and only 1 bid so far. So this will go at min $455 total to the buyer (unless there is no transfer fee then $435).
    That would be a basically retail price. Figure on a trade you'll get offered $200-225.00. About half of retail. When you trade something in, you're not going to get full retail. The buyer is going to turn around and sell it again, so he has to have room for profit.

If you want to get full price for it...sell it. If you just wan to get rid of it the easy way, trade it.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    That would be a basically retail price. Figure on a trade you'll get offered $200-225.00. About half of retail. When you trade something in, you're not going to get full retail. The buyer is going to turn around and sell it again, so he has to have room for profit.

If you want to get full price for it...sell it. If you just wan to get rid of it the easy way, trade it.
    I was hoping your reply would be like the others closer to $300. I don't think I can part with it for $200. Not worth it.

My advice is to keep the GP and save until you can swing a J-frame. Gun purchases can be funny, in that if you get bitten by the "I want it now!" bug, you may wind up buying prematurely. My last purchase, I was saving up, and then BAM! Gander Mountain had a sale and I saved $100. The one you want will be there when you're ready.

Then you'll have the J-frame AND the GP (which is a very nice gun). For HD, the GP is a much better choice - more powerful and more accurate. Yours is "worth" to you exactly what you paid for it. If you trade or sell it, you'll take a loss.

Don't take that loss if you don't have to. By keeping the GP, you'll be able to have more HD options and good defense is all about options.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I was hoping your reply would be like the others closer to $300. I don't think I can part with it for $200. Not worth it.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I've made a lot of bad trades in my time. I've learned that, as you said, it's just not worth it really. Like Shockwave said, we get caught up in the "I want it now" fever and don't always think about the true cost.

Keep the gun you got, or sell it outright. If you keep it, see if your dealer has a layaway program. That's how I buy all my guns now. My dealer has a 90 day, 20% down, no interest plan, and if you've been paying on it regular, he'll waive the 90 days, and let it run longer, but I've never had to do that.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links