If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry? - Page 10

If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry?

This is a discussion on If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes Tangle, You asked for suggestions and you received some you thought were viable some not, and that is fine. You can ...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Tangle,
    You asked for suggestions and you received some you thought were viable some not, and that is fine. You can only use what is applicable to you, your situation, attributes, location, climate, etc.

I understand your comments re your wife.

There is only so much you can do without drastic alterations to your life. Even implementing those, you still have a life to live. Be as prepared as you feel practical, then go on with your life.

These thoughts are based on experience.
    Thanks man, you're exactly right. I've had the thought many times, all this training, shooting, edged weapons, etc. - the damage could be done and I wouldn't even be involved.

I can especially relate to: "There is only so much you can do without drastic alterations to your life. Even implementing those, you still have a life to live. Be as prepared as you feel practical, then go on with your life." That's the exact conclusion I came to. It's not comforting, but it is real.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I think it is the best way to keep from driving yourself nuts.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Moderator
    I think it is the best way to keep from driving yourself nuts.
    I wouldn't have to drive, I could walk that far!

My wife used to work at a bank and another bank a couple miles away had a family member of an employee kidnapped for ransom to let them into the bank. At that point, my wife and I decided we need to make a couple cahnges to our system, especially becasue we can't carry here in MD. We decided to put guns near every door and in the garage so I (or my wife) could come home in the garage and be armed as soon as possible. It changed from having everything in a central "safe room" type of mentality to making some big changes.

Sometimes my fight reflex kicks in before my "go for the gun" reflex does too. Once my daughter fell out of bed; the dog heard it, ran into her room, and barked; which scared her and she screamed. So I woke up to a "thump, bark, scream." I went into fight mode so fast that I was in her room swinging my arms trying to grab a BG before my eyes were even open. I then realized that I would likely be fighting my way back to a gun - maybe injured - and I want to reach for a revolver in an awkward struggle.

I think in your situation, a struggle would be likely. Retaining two guns well and realistically I think would be difficult other than a strong side WB and crossdraw shoulder holster. But I don't think that is realistic or practical. For me, in your situation, I would change to an 8-shot N-frame instead of a 5-shot J-frame though. If my spidy senses were tingling and clothing allowed I would simply add the J-frame as a BUG in a shoulder holster of some kind.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmoose View Post
    ...I think in your situation, a struggle would be likely. Retaining two guns well and realistically I think would be difficult other than a strong side WB and crossdraw shoulder holster. But I don't think that is realistic or practical. For me, in your situation, I would change to an 8-shot N-frame instead of a 5-shot J-frame though. If my spidy senses were tingling and clothing allowed I would simply add the J-frame as a BUG in a shoulder holster of some kind.
    Interesting, I would not think a struggle would be likely at all. When the woman's brother and family were kidnapped, there was no struggle. Guns were pointed, and in his case he was unarmed, so he complied. Hence I suspect they would come with guns and a gunfight of some sort would result.

I rarely carry a gun with anything less than with 15 rounds in it. Most typically my carry gun has 19 rounds in it. If I carry a BUG, the ammo and mags that fit my primary fit my BUG, e.g. G-17 and G-26. I suspect when i realized the situation I could face, I switched to the G17 for capacity and BUG compatibility. Of course the same can be done with M&Ps, and some others.

I really like the shoulder holster as a carry method. One can have one's hand on the gun without anyone knowing it. If I'm seated, especially in a car, the same can be said for an ankle gun.

Senior Moderator
    Tangle,
    You asked for suggestions and you received some you thought were viable some not, and that is fine. You can only use what is applicable to you, your situation, attributes, location, climate, etc.

I understand your comments re your wife.

There is only so much you can do without drastic alterations to your life. Even implementing those, you still have a life to live. Be as prepared as you feel practical, then go on with your life.

These thoughts are based on experience.
    I agree here. True and wise words from Guantes.

I didn't read the whole thread before I posted but now that I have some more information I'll say this...

After I was raped he threatened that one day he would come back for me. He said something along the lines of, "You will never be rid of me. You will always be looking over your shoulder for me. You will always remember me. There will always be a part of you that will be mine and one day I will come for you and I will own you again."

I think there's a couple of reasons he didn't kill me that day and one of them was because he was/is a narcissistic son of a gun and killing me would have deprived him of the pleasure of continuing to terrorize me for the rest of my life.

His threat TERRIFIED me (as you can imagine) and when, six months later, he called me and said he missed me and was coming to get me I decided it was a very good thing I was going to school in another state.

I was only eighteen so carrying a firearm wasn't possible for me even if I lived in a state that would allow it and I was nowhere NEAR where I needed to be as far as mental preparation was concerned. I was too traumatized and scared of him that I couldn't even take police/legal action again him (something I deeply regret (and the statute of limitations is up so I couldn't press charges now even if I wanted to)). My response was to run because it was the only viable option I saw for my safety and my sanity. At the time it was the best option for me but I was young and easily able to make those big changes.. Heck, I NEEDED to make those big changes for myself.

Now, some eight years later, I look back on it and realize that allowing his threat to alter my life for so long gave him power over me and as long as I still feared him and looked over my shoulder for him he was still in control of my life and was succeeding in staying in my life. Ever day I continued to fear him was another day of him terrorizing me and fulfilling his promise to own me.

I don't fear him anymore. I don't underestimate him and if he showed up on the sidewalk in front of my house he'd better be wearing body armor but I DO NOT look over my shoulder for him. There is no part of me that is his. Yeah, he's right in that I will never forget him or completely be rid of him but he lost his control over me the day I got sick of letting him alter my life or looking in the shadows for him.

Could these guys make good on their threat and come after you or your wife? Of course they could. And it's wise to prepare for the possibility that they might, but letting that threat make you live in anticipation of that attack is what will burn you out and diminish the enjoyment of your life.

I agree with Guantes.. go on with your life (which it sounds like you are).

I hope you find peace in it all.. I know it's not easy.

VIP Member
    Guantes, eloquently put........it would make a great sig line for you.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Appreciate the kind words from all.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

With all of the scary scenarios posters keep coming up with and their insistence that SD has to include the MS13, I believe that the gun below is the minimum you should carry. Anything less than this is degrading your defense ability. I am sure that this can be concealed with a Smart Carry and an oversized shirt.

Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I usually carry a 5 shot snub and a speedloader. In case of increased perceived risk I might carry a 2nd snub and another speedloader.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Links