If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry?

This is a discussion on If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I knew that I was going somewhere where I would possibly be engaged in a deadly confrontation with firearms, then I just simply wouldn't ...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry?

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    If I knew that I was going somewhere where I would possibly be engaged in a deadly confrontation with firearms, then I just simply wouldn't go there or if forced to I would then take a shotgun or an AR-15. Nonetheless, I trust my training and current handgun rotation which consists of an H&K USP Compact .40 S&W (12 round capacity), a Walther P99 9mm (15 round capacity) and a S&W 442 .38+P (5 round capacity) to handle any situation. If I were to go to a "more dangerous" area than normal, then I would take a backup gun and plenty of ammo (2 mags per gun). I'd probably go with my H&K USP Compact .40 S&W as main carry and my Walther P99 9mm for backup.

Nonetheless, I think that shot placement is more important than caliber. Don't forget the massacre that psycho Seung-Hui Cho delivered at Virginia Tech in 2007 with a Walther P22 in .22LR and a Glock 19 9mm. He killed 32 persons and injured many others with a very questionable caliber (.22LR) and the other is what some forum members consider the minimum (9mm). I don't support the massacre or agree with the perpetrators actions, I am just using it for reference so don't take it the wrong way. I despise the attacks at Virginia Tech!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Yeah, but I happen to know that you recently went on a long trip with nothing but your revolver.
    Did I forget to mention the AR in the trunk? I am such a hypocrite!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    LOL! Why yes, you did forget to mention that. That's the best kind of hypocite to be!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'm boring and tote the same guns all the time, despite having high-capacity models.
    I switch out carry runs on a yearly basis, on average, but hold a very special place in my heart for the .357 Magnum Revolver. It is my "Go To" gun choice. Second Runner Up would go to the 1911.

If conditions changed I would most likely stick with one of these. I looked at a man, posted about it, where just one look at him made me say, "Mommy" and revert back to carrying my wheelie. It's an old thread, so you'll have to search for it. There are certain calibers, platforms, and loads I cling to, and I tend to carry them most often because I favor them. I look at things from a "worst case" scenario and dress according to that.

I realize I am guilty of some "magic bullet" influence here. My only argument is, if I have confidence in it, then it's the caliber for me. I don't think I'd be changing what I carry due to circumstances, but I may be inclined towards "Battlefield Pick-Ups". My guns will let me get a "Battlefield Pick-Up".

Biker

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I have no crystal ball so I don't have anyway to determine "if the odds went up". I carry the same P229 odds up or down.

Add a jacket pocket J frame to my EDC, switch my primary to the off side and spend a lot of time with my hand in my pocket. With the increased threat I am not concerned so much with firepower or capacity and my edc and spare mags will cover that. What I do want is speed of deployment and few things are faster than a pocket gun, fired from the pocket.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

EDC = G26 plus one spare 10-rd mag, plus a LCP.

If the threat level is higher, I would (and have) carried a G19 mag as a spare, and add spare mags for the LCP as well. I also have the option of carrying my G19.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I would probably keep the 1911 as my primary, and add a j-frame BUG. I would not go out like I do sometimes with just the j-frame.

I'd also start keeping a shotgun or my AR in my truck, and my goal with the pistol would be to fight my way back to it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I usually carry either a G-23 or an XD9sc as primary weapon and a Ruger LCP or SP-101 as a BUG. However, I have on many occasions carried the G-23 as primary and XD9sc as the BUG.

If threat goes up I would probably ensure I went with the G-23/XD9sc set up. It has worked many times in the past and I have good holsters to carry both of them at the same time comfortably and with good concealment.

I would also have 2 hi-cap mag reloads for each gun instead of the usual 2 primary reloads and 1 BUG reload.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Me too, except it is an M1 Carbine that is the "car gun" on those long trips such as the recent holiday trip to Little Rock to see our son, daughter-in-law and especially the GRANDDAUGHTER.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    As I understand the scenario, there are general economic conditions that make life in the US more risky pretty much everywhere. This eliminates the "if I thought I was going to a risky area, I just won't go." response.

My current rotation is one of the following: a 1911 with 2 spare mags (25 rounds of .45 on tap); a PT145 Pro with 1 spare mag (21 rounds of .45 on tap) or a J frame with 2 speed strips (15 rounds of .38 on tap). I would move my J frame from the rotation of primary weapons and make it a EDC BUG and be comfortable with either the 1911 or PT145 Pro as the primary.

If I really felt the conditions warranted it, I would carry my G21 with 2 spare mags (40 rounds of .45 on tap) and make the PT145 Pro my EDC BUG - it pocket carries just fine. But then, if I need 51 rounds of .45, we are in deep do do and the average life expectancy will be dramatically reduced. This is not a SHTF set up, but it is not too far from one.

I hope things don't get to this level, but you never know. If hyperinflation kicks in, all bets are off.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    As I understand the scenario, there are general economic conditions that make life in the US more risky pretty much everywhere. This eliminates the "if I thought I was going to a risky area, I just won't go." response.
    That's what I had in mind exactly.

...But then, if I need 51 rounds of .45, we are in deep do do and the average life expectancy will be dramatically reduced...
    Well, it's true we're likely not gonna need 50 or so rounds, but as some have indicated, under extenuating circumstances one could wind up 'holed-up' and need to simply resist until help arrived.

...This is not a SHTF set up, but it is not too far from one.
    Actually I was thinking along the lines that there was simply increased liklihood of an encounter and an increased liklihood of more than one assailant. But, yeah, I know what your saying.

...I hope things don't get to this level, but you never know. If hyperinflation kicks in, all bets are off.
    I'd have to agree; things could get "difficult" in many ways.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

kpw
    I already carry that go to gun so no, it wouldn't affect me that way. Maybe pack my G17 as back up to my G19?
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I have two normal carry setups.

1911: with at minimum 4 magazines with me on my person and 6 at work 6 in my vehicle and way to many at home.
    So you have 80-90 rounds with you when you're driving(assuming 8-rnd mags)? Prepping for the apocalypse?

So back on topic, I carry only 1911s. Not because I dislike other models, but because I have only one MoA to remember in any defensive situation. Same feel, same draw, same trigger. Draw, flick, bang, every time...

VIP Member
    My EDC is either my CBOB (.45) or my CZ P-01 (9mm). Both replaced my CZ P-06 (.40) because of trouble with my wrist and the snappy recoil of the .40. In a situation where I thought there might be a higher chance of needing a gun, I would probably switch back to my P-06. Better ballistics than the 9mm and higher capacity than the .45.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links