If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry? - Page 4

If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry?

This is a discussion on If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry only what I have; j-frame and 1911. The wife has commandeered the G23...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry?

I carry only what I have; j-frame and 1911.

The wife has commandeered the G23
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

RKM
    I'd go from CCing my Glock 30 IWB and my Kahr in a pocket holster, to OCing my Hk USP wih TLR-2 and my Glock 30 as back-up. But for me to OC, there has to be a serious threat, because I'm not a fan of OC. Not in general. I actually like seeing people OC, which unfortunately isn't often around here, but I don't like OC for myself.... if that makes sense.

Lead Moderator
    Yup , when involved in higher risk jobs I tend to arm myself a bit better than every day carry.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

if the you know what hits the fan...then i will not carry my normal one gun but probably 3 along with the "others" ....

Akimbo FiveSevens with 30 shot clips

Adding my two pence to the pile, yep... I'll dress "heavier" if I anticipate a higher risk.

For example - going to church, desert temps, no cover garment - a little Kel-Tec .32 is in the pocket.

Weekend breakfast at 7 am in our favorite local family restaurant, J frame in the pocket.

Daytime walk with the pups in the neighborhood, a compact 9 on the hip (CW9).

After dark walk with the dogs, or daytime shopping venture to Phoenix or unknown areas - Lightweight Commander on the hip.

Spare ammo is always part of the equation, greater perceived risk means an extra speedloader or mag above the usual.

Headed out of town for the weekend, the AR and patrol bandoleer are in the back of the wagon, plus a G23 and a buncha mags in the glove box. Because you just never know...

My job is risky EVERY DAY. There was a pizza guy robbed in my area right before Christmas, 3 robbers (I think only one gun though)
    I guess I gotta say, if I didn't feel 13 rounds would do it, I'd have to change my EDC. I really am not counting on having time for a reload, but I've got 16 more if the first few didn't cut it.
    If I thought the odds would go up higher than they already stand, I'd pack a BUG
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    "Beware of a man that has only one gun. He probably knows how to use it." My one gun is my Glock 23.

That said, I have been putting my new-to-me S&W 60 in my pocket, simply because I have it. It hardly seems a weapon to me.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    My job is risky EVERY DAY. There was a pizza guy robbed in my area right before Christmas, 3 robbers (I think only one gun though)
    I guess I gotta say, if I didn't feel 13 rounds would do it, I'd have to change my EDC. I really am not counting on having time for a reload, but I've got 16 more if the first few didn't cut it.
    If I thought the odds would go up higher than they already stand, I'd pack a BUG
    Most "bottomfeeder" malfunctions are magazine related, hence the spare magazine.

I would hope that anyone being shot at would be trying to find cover, or at least create distance. Even temporary cover behind a car, at the engine or tires or behind a telephone pole, may provide a momentary respite that allows one to recharge their weapon. This is why a spare magazine is a good idea. Also, while waiting for the trained emergency personnel to respond, what if the felonious actors return, or their buddies do? Also, the BUG can be located so that either hand can draw a weapon. Let's face it, as much as we'd like to never have anything occupy our primary hand that is not always feasible. I'm not picking on you, just bringing up more food for thought.

Most likely you will run out of time before you run out of bullets. I myself don't ever want to run out of bullets.

Biker

Concerning CCW/EDC my rotation guns are now my G23 and my 1911. I don't feel the need to upgrade either one where ever I go.

Even with that sometimes my AK 47 rides in the vehicle, but it is not my EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Tala, whether you think you'll have time for a reload or not, I'm glad you carry a spare magazine anyway.

Those who swear there isn't going to be time for a reload are either very short sighted or aren't thinking with an open mind tactically. There's no nicer way to put it.

The thing is, no one knows exactly how the dynamics of a lethal confrontation is going to play out. No one! You may expect to stand there static and trade shots with the bad guy until the gun runs dry, and that may happen. However, when the shots do start flying, I imagine most are going to be doing quite a lot of moving.

I love those who say, "Well if I can't get it done with what's in my gun then I'm dead anyway..." Well, yeah... You will be with that attitude! They have no rational excuse for why they won't or don't carry a spare reload, yet they still try to rationalize it... by golly they do try.

I tend to have more of a survival mindset, rather than a death wish. And after actual combat time, I know I don't want to die for lack of being able to shoot back. And I don't intend to either.

You never know how it's going to play out.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Taking gasmitty's idea a little further, if I thought the risk was greater, I'd dress heavier, too... literally.
    To touch on another thread, I wouldn't be worried about trying to hide a gun in gym shorts because I wouldn't be going out for gasoline or groceries wearing gym shorts, or any shorts for that matter. I'd be dressed more for a confrontation head to toe. One of the first things Farnam said in his class was to put your pants on if you think there's going to be trouble and it makes a lot of sense from a psychological point of view. And wearing jeans would not only allow me to carry one of my larger guns, it would allow me to add a BUG in an ankle holster. If going into the city for commodities is going to become an event, I'm going to dress the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    More than likely, yes. I would probably be carrying higher-capacity pistols, likely my G21 or 9mm M&P.

Given, I do tend to carry them fairly often, but...to be dead honest, the G36 and P7M8 would no longer be common choices.

ETA--I would also likely not be carrying in IWB holsters, and switch to OWB, as I've found that I can present a weapon a bit faster that way...every edge I can get.
    Good point!

I don't think I'd switch out guns; I kind of bought my G19 to be an all-inclusive carry. I'd probably start carrying a second spare magazine though. It couldn't hurt.

VIP Member
    I think if the odds went up, I would be more inclined to add capacity and bullet size.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links