If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry?

This is a discussion on If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tangle, you asked for peoples thoughts in your opening post. Why now do you feel the need to argue about these same thoughts? Not everybody ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry?

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Tangle, you asked for peoples thoughts in your opening post. Why now do you feel the need to argue about these same thoughts? Not everybody agrees. I personally am fasinated by the difference in opinion between here and elsewhere you have posted this question.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    So do I understand this correctly? Some feel that if the chances of a deadly encounter go up, their best solution to deal with multiple assailants is a five shot revolver in a jacket pocket?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Add a jacket pocket J frame to my EDC, switch my primary to the off side and spend a lot of time with my hand in my pocket. With the increased threat I am not concerned so much with firepower or capacity and my edc and spare mags will cover that. What I do want is speed of deployment and few things are faster than a pocket gun, fired from the pocket.
    No need to release the pocket gun, as it was already anticipated that the EDC may need to come into play, by moving it to the off side position. Of course, if you are not profeicient with the weak hand, this option is off the table.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Tangle, you asked for peoples thoughts in your opening post. Why now do you feel the need to argue about these same thoughts? Not everybody agrees. I personally am fasinated by the difference in opinion between here and elsewhere you have posted this question.
    You realize it takes two to argue, right? One replies, I reply to that, they reply back, etc. And since when can we not debate a topic? So if some one says something I can't respond because I started the thread?

I have no idea what you're talking about when you say, "I personally am fasinated by the difference in opinion between here and elsewhere you have posted this question." I have never posted this question before. To my knowledge I have never waivered in my opinion between 'here and elsewhere'; can you give me a reference to what you're talking about?

You are not accurate in your portrayal of the option. You are not using just a 5 shot snubby, you are using it like a pawn in a chess game. You still have the means and option to use the Edc.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    No need to release the pocket gun, as it was already anticipated that the EDC may need to come into play, by moving it to the off side position. Of course, if you are not profeicient with the weak hand, this option is off the table.
    I think you may be on to something about LEO seeing things differently. I don't know of any civies that opt to carry their EDC on their off side except for a crossdraw. I also don't know of that many civies that are that proficient with their off hand. Maybe that's the difference we see. You figure if you can do it everyone can - not so. I would expect that very, very few civies, myself included, are proficient enough with their off hand to bet their life on it in a gunfight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    You realize it takes two to argue, right? One replies, I reply to that, they reply back, etc. And since when can we not debate a topic? So if some one says something I can't respond because I started the thread?

I have no idea what you're talking about when you say, "I personally am fasinated by the difference in opinion between here and elsewhere you have posted this question." I have never posted this question before. To my knowledge I have never waivered in my opinion between 'here and elsewhere'; can you give me a reference to what you're talking about?
    Yes ,I'm referring to the same question you asked on Sig forum and the differences in the replies there vs. here.

Senior Moderator
    Yes ,I'm referring to the same question you asked on Sig forum and the differences in the replies there vs. here.
    The idea of a pocket carry never came up on the Sig forum. In that forum, the drift was one could not survive a gunfight if he rotates his carry guns. It was a totally different discussion.

I can't speak for Guantes, since it was his response. But , it just so happens that is one of the "options" in my personal tactical play-book.

If it had been my response, i would not have made it based on my expectations of others to do it.
    Actually Guantes quote says it best, " I do what I do".

Senior Moderator
    Sorry, I though you were offering that as a suitable option for anyone facing a higher risk of attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    The idea of a pocket carry never came up on the Sig forum. In that forum, the drift was one could not survive a gunfight if he rotates his carry guns. It was a totally different discussion.
    That's my Point. I realize that you're trying to promote a healthy discussion but at times it appears that things have to be your way or the highway.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I may change from a 4" 1911 to a 5" 1911. I'm better with the latter though the former is more comfortable to carry IWB. I might add another spare magazine or two to accompany the two on my belt. I don't like the feel or the profile of high capacity .45's, I don't care for the .40 S&W (sold mine for a second 1911) and 9mm isn't in my safe. I can't afford more inventory either.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    That's my Point. I realize that you're trying to promote a healthy discussion but at times it appears that things have to be your way or the highway.
    Please notice on the SigForum there was a lot of agreement. There, the concept of gun rotation was attacked as a thing of death. There are a lot of people that rotate their carry guns, and to suggest that we were all headed for disaster in a gunfight is a bit of an over-statement.

So did you reprimand those that made those claims that gun rotation was a disaster waiting to happen when they insisted on being right and repeated refuted any other opinion? One guy went so far as to describe in agonizing detail the OODA loop and each term of the loop as if that was our salvation and if we didn't understand it we didn't know what we were talking about. Did you happen to notice that a guy actually said I got it right and he had experienced the same thing that I had? And there were a number of us in agreement.

I do support my position, sometimes strongly - so does glockman10mm, 10thmtn, and a number of others that I respect.

I think about this topic constantly. I really like my revolvers because if the odds were high it's what I would want - I think. But I can't deny that I could probably deal with more with a P220 or P226. Then again, an 8-shot 357mag might suit the situation well. Either way I guess the 642 as a BUG would now be in play for my system.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Links