If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry? - Page 7

If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry?

This is a discussion on If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks, Gman, Tangle, You asked for options and I posted one that is available to me based on present tools and attributes, that I thought ...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Thanks, Gman,

Tangle,
    You asked for options and I posted one that is available to me based on present tools and attributes, that I thought might be of use to you.
    You mentioned potential problems that you saw with the option and I posted what I saw as the solutions.
    If you feel that it is not a viable option for you, that is perfectly acceptable to me.
    I am sympathetic to your problem and was merely trying to help.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    True. I'm loving this thread as well.

Just like most everyone else I'd go larger - mainly I'd be looking for more capacity rather than a bigger bullet. Like Tangle, I love my G17, but I only use it for HD currently - I'd switch it to concealed if I thought it was necessary. The other big thing is I would make sure my family is armed. If we ever get into a tight spot I want me, my wife, and my son all pulling out guns. Three barrels pointed in the same direction is a lot more effective than one barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    What's your draw and fire time pulling the gun from your jacket pocket?
    I'm imagining pretty darn close to releasing the pocket gun and going for the one on my hip. Either way I have to clear material out of the way, whether I'm sweeping the jacket out of the way, lifting a shirt or holding onto the jacket so it doesn't move when I'm extracting my pocket pistol. You keep talking about a low percentage of extracting the pocket pistol from a jacket pocket cleanly, but I'll guarantee I can use my weak hand to grab the jacket's bottom on the side where the gun is and pull it out cleanly every time. Provided there's no hammer spur.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Thanks, Gman,

Tangle,
    You asked for options and I posted one that is available to me based on present tools and attributes, that I thought might be of use to you.
    You mentioned potential problems that you saw with the option and I posted what I saw as the solutions.
    If you feel that it is not a viable option for you, that is perfectly acceptable to me.
    I am sympathetic to your problem and was merely trying to help.
    Actually, I didn't ask for options, I asked if people would change to a different gun if the likelihood of a threat went up. You presented a five shot revolver fired from the jacket pocket as the solution for taking on three BGs. I thought that merited further exploration. And granted, in the right situations that'd be an excellent method, but I honestly don't see a five shot revolver as a viable solution to a three BG threat. And I realize that taking on three BGs would be an uphill battle from the start by any method, but that was my potential threat.

But your point, and glockman10mm's, is received that these were suggestions and I could have left them at that. I think I got the impression that you were were not addressing the specific, potential real-life scenario I described in the OP.

Just to be sure here for my, your, and everybody else's sake, are you saying that given the three threat scenario I could have faced, that the best solution would be a five shot revolver in a jacket pocket?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

You keep leaving out that the five shot in the pocket is in addition to a full size pistol.
    I don't recall any mention of "best solution", merely an option.
    From what I see, a second Bg was not mentioned until pg 2, post 27 and three did not enter the picture until pg 4, post 63.
    As I stated, if you don't see it as a "viable" option, don't consider it.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I'm imagining pretty darn close to releasing the pocket gun and going for the one on my hip. Either way I have to clear material out of the way, whether I'm sweeping the jacket out of the way, lifting a shirt or holding onto the jacket so it doesn't move when I'm extracting my pocket pistol. You keep talking about a low percentage of extracting the pocket pistol from a jacket pocket cleanly, but I'll guarantee I can use my weak hand to grab the jacket's bottom on the side where the gun is and pull it out cleanly every time. Provided there's no hammer spur.
    It's pretty darn close if you have both hands available to perform the draw. I'm just not comfortable personally with that and I think it's at least worth expressing why. I feel that we are choosing situations to match a method of carry rather than choosing a vialbe solution to match the situation. We may not, likely won't, be able to do that in reality. I just want to be sure we're really taking an honest look at the implications.

According to plan, it will take both hands to get the gun out of a jacket pocket where one hand can clear a garment and draw the gun from the belt. So if we needed our off hand to guide a loved one out of the way as we draw...That's all I'm looking at.

All of this has to be meshed with our reality. My reality was I may have the daunting, dreadful task of facing three BGs. That's almost a no win from the start. If I/we choose a method that works great in some scenarios but doesn't translate to a more demanding reality have we helped ourselves or put ourselves at a disadvantage?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    You keep leaving out that the five shot in the pocket is in addition to a full size pistol.
    I don't recall any mention of "best solution", merely an option.
    From what I see, a second Bg was not mentioned until pg 2, post 27 and three did not enter the picture until pg 4, post 63.
    As I stated, if you don't see it as a "viable" option, don't consider it.
    Yep, you are correct. I didn't realize I had left out the three threat thing in the OP. That explains some posts that seemed puzzling. Anyway that's the way it really was. Thankfully that did come out later, but I sure messed up by not getting it in the OP like I thought I did.

So based on my error being corrected and the fact that the potential threat was 3 BGs, may I ask for your thoughts for that specific scenario?

I understand what you're saying, Tangle, (and now you've just added loved ones we must move aside with our weakside into the scenario), but all I was saying is I'm more of a bird in the hand than two in the bush guy. If I've already got my hand around one gun and my finger on the trigger, I'll probably empty that gun before I start to draw the one I wish was in my hand at the start. We'll get to that gun when the first is empty. Regardless if I have to fire all the rounds through my now on fire jacket pocket or not, lol. That will be the least of my worries at that point.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I understand what you're saying, Tangle, (and now you've just added loved ones we must move aside with our weakside into the scenario), but all I was saying is I'm more of a bird in the hand than two in the bush guy. If I've already got my hand around one gun and my finger on the trigger, I'll probably empty that gun before I start to draw the one I wish was in my hand at the start. We'll get to that gun when the first is empty. Regardless if I have to fire all the rounds through my now on fire jacket pocket or not, lol. That will be the least of my worries at that point.
    I really wish I'd never posted this. I blundered by omitting a critical detail that the threat was made up of three guys which was the actual case hasn't helped. However these three guys have commited serious crimes together before, so I had to mentally prepare for a three-man threat.

I'll have to differ with you, I'm not adding anything, I'm just not simplifying the possibilities to where a scenario meets a method of carry. By simplification I mean we eliminate any possibility that there will be people in the area, we may not be alone and hence we have to account for loved ones with us, the BGs may not be fully disclosed, they may be positioned such that firing from the pocket is marginal or prohibitively irresponsible, our off hand may be severely injured in an initial contact, etc.

We can leave all those considerations out or consider them as we see fit.

Yes. When going to a large venue with a lot of people I carry higher capacity with a snub revolver weak side. Going back and forth to work, a snub revolver may be all I carry. Going to work with a planned sidetrack on the way home, I may carry a higher capacity semi-auto that day. Just depends on the situation.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Tala, whether you think you'll have time for a reload or not, I'm glad you carry a spare magazine anyway.

Those who swear there isn't going to be time for a reload are either very short sighted or aren't thinking with an open mind tactically. There's no nicer way to put it.
    I said I wasn't COUNTING on time, but that doesn't mean there won't be, or that I won't need one. I've got more mags very high on the wish list now that I've finally built up my ammo stash a bit and bought new tires. Before you know it, I'll have reloads stashed everywhere.

But in the most recent robbery that I spoke of, one of the bad guys got in the pizza driver's passenger side of his car (he should have locked his doors....) and the other one came up to the driver side door, so I doubt he got to do much moving around. I have to say, in that particular situation where there was only one car in front of him I would have hit reverse as soon as the bad guys opened their car door, but thankfully, it wasn't me.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

1911 with two spare mags on body
    BUG on body
    G26 with two spare mags close by.
    Once they are released, I'm planning on a KelTec KSG in the truck.
    IF I feel "the need" I'll toss a AR into the truck now.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Tangle,
    If you feel free to state, I am curious about the time frame involved. The reason is that in the OP, you mentioned your "family under a specific threat" and also spoke of a reprisal that "did not materialize". I'm curious how long ago this occurred.
    The problem is a difficult one and I have had to personally deal with similar several times. Your question was relative to handguns so I will keep my comments within that realm. Your options, within the realm of handguns is fairly limited.
    A few things come to mind, some already mentioned.
    A full size, hi cap of decent caliber, with additional ammo.
    A BUG/secondary weapon.
    I still think the pocket gun with full size backup is a viable option
    If OC is practical in your are it might be an option. Possibly some deterrence value and it will cut your draw time by around .2 sec.
    If your wife/SO is up to it I would try for an emergency CCW, if she does not already have one.
    As I stated, your options as far as handguns are very finite.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    ...limit this to non-SHTF situations...Say gas goes up to $5/gal and food prices go up significantly while the economy remains in it's present strained shape. I suspect this would produce more people that are more desperate that feel forced to do things they might not normally do....under a specific threat because we tried to help someone and there was a bad element that disapproved of our 'interference' and could seek, and actually threatened reprisal...
    Nice thread.

No doubt, would change how I wold carry, and when I first read the title of thread, I was prepared to say no. However something as simple as $5 gas would make me change my carry habits because your right, it would create a more dangerous situation. Would also have to more seriously consider how I keep my home. Based on post, I need to put some things in harder to find locations so I don't get caughts panrts down. Even something like tool storage.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'm boring and tote the same guns all the time, despite having high-capacity models.
    I carry the same three guns all the time...........
    • EDCG Is a Taurus® Mdl 617SS2 2¼" 7 shot 357 Magnum
    • BUG#1 is a Taurus® Mdl 605SS2 2" 5 shot 357 Magnum
    • BUG#2 is a Taurus® Mdl 85SS2UL 2" 5 shot 38 Special
    (All reloads are 38 Special)

• In my truck: Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20ga Shotgun loaded w/Brenneke® 3" Mag Slugs & Federal® 3" Mag #2 Buckshot

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Links