If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry? - Page 8

If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry?

This is a discussion on If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A fellow who I've trained with was carrying a G26 one day when he got stuck in the middle of a convenience store robbery. Being ...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    A fellow who I've trained with was carrying a G26 one day when he got stuck in the middle of a convenience store robbery. Being a LEO, he had to get involved in the situation.

Afterwards he said that if he had to do it all over again, he would've been carrying a G17.

Gave me something to ponder...
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

My carry would change but not by much I think. My normal carry is a Glock 26 with a G19 spare mag. I would either change the mag in the gun to a G19 mag as well or change over to my recently acquired Glock 21 with a spare mage and start carrying a BUG. The bug being my Glock 26 on my ankle or in my pocket depending on what type of pants I'm wearing. If I was in the mind that I wouldn't be able to get back home in a good time(long trip out), I would have Glock 21 IWB 3 o'clock, Glock 26 strong side pocket, and Kel Tec PF9 on weak side ankle. Spare mags for all.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Are you asking.... do you carry for the worse case scenario , or the most likely ?

If I think I would "ever" need it, then it's what I carry.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I said I wasn't COUNTING on time, but that doesn't mean there won't be, or that I won't need one. I've got more mags very high on the wish list now that I've finally built up my ammo stash a bit and bought new tires. Before you know it, I'll have reloads stashed everywhere.
    Tala, I understand what you were saying in your original post, and I wasn't referring to you when I responded with that specific statement.

However, there are a lot of people who feel they don't need a reload, because they are convinced there won't be enough time to perform a reload. I was merely pointing out for everyone's benefit, that whether a person is one who believes that or not, you never know how it's going to play out, and there are a whole host of reasons why one should have at least one reload.

I hope you understand I wasn't singling you out, other than to say that I'm glad you're one of the people who believes it's a good idea to have a reload.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Great thread... and yes, I adjust my level of defense preparedness (weapons selection, ammo, spare mags, etc.) depending upon varying degrees of perceived threat.

For my view, let me first establish my "default carry" mindset.

Default carry set-up for me has evolved over the years from 1911's in .45, to a Glock 30, to a Glock 23, to now (mostly) Glocks in 9mm.

Eeking out every possible increase in reliability is paramount in my thinking. But of nearly equal importance is the ability to hit well, repeatedly, with great rapidity. AND, following ever so closely to those factors is having relatively high capacity before a reload is needed.

When I learned a couple of years ago that Gabe Suarez had shifted to carrying a G17 for his personal defense I was a little surprised... initially. But I soon saw the great wisdom in his move to that gun and that caliber.

Like many students of defense, I have come to the conclusion that the differences in terminal ballistics between the best available defense ammo (let's use Federal HST for example) in .45, .40, and 9mm is fairly negligible. Such negligible differences are certainly less significant than other differences such as capacity, shorter split times, etc. Thus, I have turned my focus on defense factors which favor the 9mm.

In the adrenalin-filled chaos of simultaneously moving so as to not BE hit, while also ascertaining possible threats, accessing you weapon, and firing defensively... the likelihood of losing some ammo capacity in the form of in-effective or less-than-effective shots, to potentially multiple threats, is considerable. Hence, I feel that having a higher capacity weapon may likely be a key factor in one's survival. Even having 16-rounds vs. 11-rounds may be very significant. SO, much as I love the G30, it is carried less often than the G19.

I used to be comfortable with 8-rounds of 230 gr. Gold Dot in a 1911 Commander. Today, I prefer 16-rounds of 124 gr. +P HST in a G19.

So, my typical carry weapon now is, mostly, the G19. With a spare G17 mag close at hand for reload. On some occasions I will lighten the load to just a G26. But since the two weapons are both relatively easy to carry concealed, the G19 gets the nod even if the G26 is a tad less noticible -to me- to carry.

The Coat Pocket Revolver
    Sometimes I also carry a 640-1 in a coat pocket, in addition to the G19, in circumstances where I feel having a hand on a weapon, discreetly, ready for instant use (through the coat if need be) might be potentially useful. There definitely are some circumstances where a stranger, at very close proximity, thinking they have "the drop" on you suddenly becomes a threat... the coat pocket revolver, with internal hammer, in your hand allows you to respond instantly in a situation where you very well may never have the time nor opportunity to draw a concealed weapon from under garments.

Odds go up... does that effect what gun I carry?
    If I had reason to believe that the possible threat level was elevated due to whatever circumstances, I would probably move to carrying a G17 as well as the G19, with the 640-1 in a coat pocket as well. I would also carry more extra mags in the vehicle and on my person. I'd also see that my wife carried her G26 as well. And depending on how high the "odds" went up... I'd probably keep one of my Winchester 1300 Defenders and one of my ARs in the vehicle as well.

I still use .45 and .40 pistols and have a new M&P40 on the way for personal T&E with a thought to possibly using it as an alternate carry gun.

In defense situations one never has any clue as to the unique circumstances that will prevail and for that reason being well-prepared, even if perhaps a little overboard, makes good sense. The Boy Scouts knew what they were talking about when they crafted that motto... Be Prepared.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

I have multiple configs for different scenarios and situations, I would choose depending upon the current situation.

I'll carry the same firearm. Just with two spare mags instead of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    Same here.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    I think this is a good view on the subject too.

VIP Member
    I'm late to this thread and I don't care to read all the other fine posts. In any event, I would trade up to a more formable handgun if the threat level in my own world were to increase.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Nope. I have an SA XD40 for self defense (not legal to carry here in the Illinois). When I was doing my homework on buying one, I knew I didn't have a lot of money to spend, so I did my research and bought what I considered a good weapon to start with.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    The thing about it getting more dangerous in the world because people are becoming more despirate is I don't think it changes what I need to carry much. What it has changed for me at least is home defense! I think that the new threat is people becoming more brazen about home invation and thing like that. I haven't altered my carry style to much lately but I can tell you there is a 1911 in almost every room in my house!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I carry the same set-up every day no matter what. Glock 19 Strong side hip IWB. Spare magazine and a surefire flashlight on my weak side hip. Glock 26 on my ankle. Spiderco folding knife clipped in right pocket. I own many guns but I just feel very comfortable with this set-up and have no plans of changing..

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    My PCW is a 24/7 ProC 45acp with 10+1; and a 12rd BUM. I sometimes carry my XDM40 w/16+1 and a 16rd BUM.

If I feel things are getting worse, I'll most likely use my XDM as my PCW and the 24/7ProC with a 12+1 and a 12rd BUM as my BUG. Beyond that, I'll be glad when my wife & I have AR's.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I can tell you there is a 1911 in almost every room in my house!
    Will you adopt me???
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Links