If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry?

This is a discussion on If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of us that operate on a 'rotation' basis because we like a lot (too many) of different guns and hence rotate our carry ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry?

Senior Moderator

If the odds went up, would it affect which gun you carry?

For those of us that operate on a 'rotation' basis because we like a lot (too many) of different guns and hence rotate our carry guns, I wonder if we thought there was an increased chance of a deadly confrontation(s), would we carry the gun currently in our rotation or switch to a 'go-to' gun.

The reason I ask is I faced this situation once and realized in reponse to the elevated situation that I was changing to a specific gun.

And let's limit this to non-SHTF situations and that we will not be carrying a long gun or fighting our way back to a long gun. Just life as normal, except an increased risk of a deadly confrontation.

An example:
    Say gas goes up to $5/gal and food prices go up significantly while the economy remains in it's present strained shape. I suspect this would produce more people that are more desperate that feel forced to do things they might not normally do.

And a personal example:
    My family was under a specific threat because we tried to help someone and there was a bad element that disapproved of our 'interference' and could seek, and actually threatened reprisal. Thank goodness that did not materialize! At the time I think I was carrying a P229R DAK. I went home and switched to my Glock 17. Yet I tend to view the Sig Classics as the most reliable, dependable, rugged pistols made. So it was kind of puzzling to me why I went to my G17.

Thoughts?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

For me if the threat level goes up then I want my firepower capability to go up as well. 95 percent of the time I feel quite well armed with my SP101 HOWEVER if i need to go to a more dangerous area or I am presented with a situation that is more dangerous then i face on a daily basis then I will most definitely change the 101 out for my Glock 23. I actually did that over the new years weekend as there was new years KKK rally fairly close to my location. I carried the Glock 23 and 2 spare mags when I had to go out and when I was home I kept my 870 within reach.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Yes I think I would. I frequently pocket carry a snubby but if times got tougher and crime was more prevalent I'd change.

ETA; Rollo beat me to it. I agree with everything he said.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I'm boring and tote the same guns all the time, despite having high-capacity models.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have three guns in my rotation. My 23, my P228, and my 340 M&P All have sufficient fight stopping capabilitites, but I feel my 23 is the best balance of power, concealability and proficiency for me, so probably stick with my tried and true G23.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I have two normal carry setups.

1911: with at minimum 4 magazines with me on my person and 6 at work 6 in my vehicle and way to many at home.
    (2) G19's with one spare magazine on me and at least 1 31 rounder at work, in vehicle and at home.

I feel pretty safe with either setup .
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I generally carry around what I am wearing but there are times when I would "dress around the gun". When it is really cold out I tend to carry my P220. If I have reason to think that I am going to be in a place that might be a tempting target for an active shooter scenario I will switch to my P226. It not only has higher capacity, but it is the one I have had the longest and am most accurate with. During the summer I frequently carry a P225, but then again it is easily swapped out for the P228. Or I might dress a little different and go with one of the full sized pistols.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    The simple answer for me is 'Yes'.

Generally, I carry a .45 (G30 or 1911). However, if I'm showing a property in a seedy part of town, I'll switch to a G19 for increased capacity (I've had unexpected visitors walk thru the door).

In the heat of summer, the EDC becomes a G26.

If I'm in the woods, it becomes a 637 with the first two rounds being snake shot. Everything above is usually backed by an LCP. On rare occasions the LCP can become primary.

More than likely, yes. I would probably be carrying higher-capacity pistols, likely my G21 or 9mm M&P.

Given, I do tend to carry them fairly often, but...to be dead honest, the G36 and P7M8 would no longer be common choices.

ETA--I would also likely not be carrying in IWB holsters, and switch to OWB, as I've found that I can present a weapon a bit faster that way...every edge I can get.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    The simple answer for me is 'Yes'.

, if I'm showing a property in a seedy part of town, I'll switch to a G19 for increased capacity (I've had unexpected visitors walk thru the door).

On rare occasions the LCP can become primary.
    Same here, I feel my odds go up depending on where I have to work each day and carry for it. Also learned to always lock the door behind me after entering a vacant house, amazing how people will just walk on in.

Administrator
    It shouldn't, but it does for me. It has nothing to do with "firepower" or increased capacity. It has everything to do with the comfort levels.

Carrying my J frame or PM9 keeps me comfortable in the traditional sense of the word. My 228 and 220 are the guns I'm most comfortable with in the sense of my shooting ability. So, if there is an increased threat level, real or perceived, I generally will fall back to one of those two guns. Even though I've considered my 228 my main ccw, I've gotten lazy and spoiled with my other options.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Cool

Outside of work my off duty carry is a G-23 primary and a Diamondback .380 BUG. If I felt the need I would swap the .380 for my G-19 offside carry. If that did not handle the situation then I am in a world of hurt.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Yes. When I am around home or local I am usually comfortable with a j frame in the pocket. However, upgrade to a g26 or 19 when traveling or going on vacation where I am unfamiliar with the areas. As the potential for the threat rises, so does my round count.

VIP Member
    I always carry the same primary gun, if I felt the threat level was higher I would probably just carry a BUG. Probably my P229 in .40S+W. I am most comfortable and proficient with my P220, but having a BUG is never a bad idea.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yes. When I am around home or local I am usually comfortable with a j frame in the pocket. However, upgrade to a g26 or 19 when traveling or going on vacation where I am unfamiliar with the areas. As the potential for the threat rises, so does my round count.
    Yeah, but I happen to know that you recently went on a long trip with nothing but your revolver.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links