Extended slide release on G36

This is a discussion on Extended slide release on G36 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anybody put an extended slide release on a Glock 36? The factory one seems a little small, and is sometimes hard to manipulate from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended slide release on G36

Extended slide release on G36

Has anybody put an extended slide release on a Glock 36? The factory one seems a little small, and is sometimes hard to manipulate from a firing grip. Any issues that anyone has had come up when putting one on? I figure if I want to make any changes, I might as well so do before I get into my break in rounds.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I put one on my G30 after the first range trip. The OEM one isn't very useful in my miind. I'm sure many will say you're "supposed" to slingshot it, but the Glock manual says either way. I've never had any issue with it while shooting or holstered. It's not really much larger, just has a bit of nub sticking out for the thumb to grab on to. I say do it. No one can tell you if you'll like it except you.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Cool

In the training that I have had with Glocks the slide release is not used when chambering a round. If the slide needs to be locked back the factory release is more than adequate for me. All releasing of the slide is done slingshot style. I carry G-21 on duty and G-19,23 and 36 off duty and this method is fast and sure. Putting a extended slide release on would certainly not hurt anything though. Just my $.02.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Old School is right. The lever is a slide lock , not release, as designed by glock. However, I put an extended one on all my Glocks and use it for a release. Doesnt hurt anything.

Well Gee, my 36 didn't come with a manual, since it was a used police trade in. Guess I should find one and read it. Thanks for the info guys, I am a Glock Noob, straying from my 1911's, but trying to give this on a fair shake.

I usually go with the slide release method with handguns, generally speaking, but use the slingshot method too sometimes. Guess I will get in the habit of sling-shotting the 36.

I just discovered you can make a wish list on Brownell's website, and if you ask them nice as military or an LEO, they give you dealer pricing on your account. I'll add one to the wish-list and pick it up sometime, along with some night sights for it, if I can ever decide on a style. At best I will like it, at worst I will have an extra part on hand in case the one I prefer ever breaks.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

You can also send your G-36 police trade in back to Glock in Georgia and for just the cost of shipping (which Glock splits with you) they will completely tear down your weapon and replace whatever needs replacing at no charge. Just a thought if you did not already know that. Thank you for serving your country sir.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    You can also send your G-36 police trade in back to Glock in Georgia and for just the cost of shipping (which Glock splits with you) they will completely tear down your weapon and replace whatever needs replacing at no charge. Just a thought if you did not already know that. Thank you for serving your country sir.
    That is good to know too. Really I'm not an expert, but at most it had a couple hundred rounds through it before I got it. Exterior finish doesn't have any holster wear or signs of abuse, the barrel has very little visible wear on the finish. The only reason I know it was shot before I bought it was there was some carbon left in it. It's my third police trade in, the other two being Sigs, and I think I have gotten excellent deals on all 3.

I am pretty sure there is a guy on here who is a Glock Armorer, who I might be able to convince to give it a quick check, and if he sees anything screwy, I will send it back. That might just cost me a dozen donuts or so (A low blow, I know, but all in good fun). But I am almost positive the FTE's I had on the first range trip were related to my extended mag, and I've got more stock ones on order to remedy that.

It has been my honor to serve my country when she needed me. I'm done with that this year though, then I will need a new callsign on here.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Has anybody put an extended slide release on a Glock 36? The factory one seems a little small, and is sometimes hard to manipulate from a firing grip.
    This really is a shortcoming in the Glock pistols, in my opinion. But it is easy to correct with a third party extended release.

I really like the AroTek Sure Touch release. It is a bit expensive at $36, but well worth it, in my opinion. It is such a huge improvement, and makes releasing the slide during reloading oh so very easy.

Here is some info on it:

http://www.arotek.com/orderform.aspx?category=4

And here is what it looks like installed on my Glock:

To me it just seems to be a matter of personal preference, I've kept my Glocks with the stock slide release...no problem for me...to each his own.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I am pretty sure there is a guy on here who is a Glock Armorer, who I might be able to convince to give it a quick check, and if he sees anything screwy, I will send it back. That might just cost me a dozen donuts or so (A low blow, I know, but all in good fun).

It has been my honor to serve my country when she needed me. I'm done with that this year though, then I will need a new callsign on here.
    I thought the donut man was a Sig guy.

When are you getting out? What are the plans for after?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Well Gee, my 36 didn't come with a manual, since it was a used police trade in. Guess I should find one and read it. Thanks for the info guys, I am a Glock Noob, straying from my 1911's, but trying to give this on a fair shake.

I usually go with the slide release method with handguns, generally speaking, but use the slingshot method too sometimes. Guess I will get in the habit of sling-shotting the 36.

I just discovered you can make a wish list on Brownell's website, and if you ask them nice as military or an LEO, they give you dealer pricing on your account. I'll add one to the wish-list and pick it up sometime, along with some night sights for it, if I can ever decide on a style. At best I will like it, at worst I will have an extra part on hand in case the one I prefer ever breaks.
    I learned to sling shot from day one! It's funny but the only people who use the slide release are total noobs or really experienced shooters, it tends to be one or the other. For example some folks think it's faster to use the slide release on a 1911, but this is usually never taught in Polymer circles. I think you see more 1911 guys doing it because the slide release is a lot bigger then the small Glock ones.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

If you find it hard to operate and prefer to use the slide release over slingshot, then you should probably get one. They only cost a few dollars. I personally find it easier/faster to use the slide release than slingshotting it and you don't have to worry about changing the point of aim with the slide release. I have a G34 which comes with extended release from the factory, and I think it's very nice. I shoot USPSA with it and most people who shoot Glocks in my area use extended slide/mag release since it's faster, but speed may not be important to your style of shooting It's a good idea to practice a little with both in case you have a malfunction (stove pipe) and need to slingshot it.
    If you plan on using the gun for CCW, I don't recommend extended release(s) since they are more likely to snag.

Just installed one on my g36 last night. Amazing. No more slingshoting. If only gaston couldve originally designed the slide stop like these.

Also use Arotek extended slide release

Like a previous poster, I also use an Arotek extended slide release on my G23. It works very well.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I've run a G34 (factory extended) slide lock on my G19 for years without a single "snag issue". I'm guessing it would work on a G36. Normally I'm a "slingshot method" advocate, yet if my off-hand is occupied or becomes injured I still wanna' stay swiftly in the fight. So I opt for a factory extended.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links