Switching my EDC from a Glock 19 to a ? - Page 2

Switching my EDC from a Glock 19 to a ?

This is a discussion on Switching my EDC from a Glock 19 to a ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by joepa150 So if that gun ships free then all I have to pay is the FFL transfer fee of around $20? So ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching my EDC from a Glock 19 to a ?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    So if that gun ships free then all I have to pay is the FFL transfer fee of around $20? So I would get that gun for about $381 compared to $450 at the local gun store.
    Yes, but that is a cash price. If you use a credit card they will hit you with a 3% fee. I recently bought from Bud's and sent them a postal money order. It only took about 4 days longer to do the deal and it saved me the 3% fee.

ETA: Lot's of folks try to buy the lightest weight J frame they can get. Don't! A .357 mag out of a super lightweight gun is a pain to shoot. I kid you not. When I shoot hot .357 loads at the range it literally feels like some one is hitting me on the wrist with a broom handle. Each time I fire it's like BANG, whack!

An all steel J frame still carries real nice but it won't break your wrist.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

You can see the guns I own in my signature, I carry the 642 and the PM9 exclusively, I do like the G19 however, I have never carried it for CCW. I think the new LC9 might be a possibility, if money is no object the PM9 is hard to beat, the 642 carries AIWB easier than the PM9. So many guns so little time.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    The G19 is easy to carry especially with my Pure Kustom Black Ops and my A&G Gun belt BUT sometimes I need/want something smaller.
    Do you really need something different to carry or are you really looking for additional options? I carry a Glock 23 or Glock 27 99.99% of the time. There has been one instance in early December where I had to go to my LCP over my Glock 27. I was in my dress uniform with white shirt and bow tie out on the town with my girlfriend. and I noticed that the black finish showed through my white shirt when I had my shirt tucked into my CBST.

As for the Jframed revolvers, the only one I have trigger time on is the Ruger LCR which I own. Its an outstanding little gun and shoots great, due to the light weight the +P rounds can be murder on your hands after a box or so.

And to comment on your post about not wanting to own similar guns. The big plus to owning guns with like functionality is muscle memory. I use my Glock 23 as my home defense weapon and my Glock 27 as my primary CC weapon. Other then the size of the two weapons function the exact same, point the exact same. and I do use most of the time the Glock 23 mags with the buffer and it pretty much feels the exact same and they shoot the exact same at normal defensive distances. A fire fight is not the time to realize you're packing a 1911 with a manual safety over a Glock.

LCR
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    And to comment on your post about not wanting to own similar guns. The big plus to owning guns with like functionality is muscle memory. I use my Glock 23 as my home defense weapon and my Glock 27 as my primary CC weapon. Other then the size of the two weapons function the exact same, point the exact same. and I do use most of the time the Glock 23 mags with the buffer and it pretty much feels the exact same and they shoot the exact same at normal defensive distances. A fire fight is not the time to realize you're packing a 1911 with a manual safety over a Glock.
    This.

A Glock 26 would be perfect.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Every NAA Guardian that I have ever tried has had an absolutely horrific trigger pull on it. It is rated to be 10 lbs, but seems even more than that, as it is so rough and full of creep.

Perhaps they have improved on this recently. But as of a couple of years ago, their trigger pull was just terrible.

Out of all of the S&W J frame models, I really like the models 438 and 638 the best.

The 438/638 also both have the advantage of being compatible with puppies:

They really are a great gun, no matter which model you get.

Anyone know if the S&W J-Frame $50 rebate is over. If so is it renewed for 2011? I can't find info online about this.

Smile

I also normally carry a Glock(G23) but at times I find the need for something smaller and then usually carry a J-frame .38spl or Colt Mustang.380. The Mustang can be carried in a pant pocket and the J frame conceals very well in a light jacket pocket or IWB holster. I have two J frames, a model 60 and a 642, I really like the 642 when carried in a jacket pocket as it could be reliably fired through the pocket if need be.

Anyone know if the S&W J-Frame $50 rebate is over. If so is it renewed for 2011? I can't find info online about this.
    You could always call Smith and Wesson, and ask them.

You can't really go wrong with a j-frame...
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I'd stick with either of those. I have handled but not shot an LCR, I wasn't too impressed with how it felt, but to each there own.

I own a S&W 638, it goes out with me when I need a BUG or don't want to strap on a 1911. Try to find one without a lock if possible.

Bud's currently has them for $361 before shipping and transfer fee: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id=70713

There are three main hammer configurations, traditional, bodyguard/shrouded hammer, or DAO, without an external hammer, all have their merits and drawbacks.
    Been eyeing these on Buds as well. I think they'd be a great add to the rotation of the CC collection.

Have to go with either the .38 snubbie or the G26. No caliber debate desired here, but I'd rather send one of those rounds at the bad guys then a .32 (which I also have) I was in a Subway sandwhich shop yesterday with my seecamp .32 when a REALLY sketchy looking dude in baggy clothes that could hide anything came in and went straight to the bathroom...my first thought was "man, what if he's got a shotgun or a glock...and I have to rely on this .32" Got my food and got out fast before he came out. Again, not a caliber debate, just relevant to the parameters you defined.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    LCR
    +++ 1

Best investment in a firearm I made in a loooooong time. I carry mine everyday and love it; can't recommend it enough. I sometimes even forget I have it on my hip it's so light and comfortable to carry.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

My EDC gun is the Glock 19, for those occassions that I want a smaller/lighter gun, my current choice is the Ruger LCR. It replaced the S&W 342ti earlier this year. When I was working as an LEO, my BUG was always a J-frame, though the models changed, it was always a S&W.

I really like the LCRs trigger, but I don't think that you can go wrong choosing either an LCR or a S&W J frame.

Good luck with your choice.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

I dont think I saw anyone else mention the Kahr CW 9 (around $400)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links