Switching my EDC from a Glock 19 to a ?

This is a discussion on Switching my EDC from a Glock 19 to a ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe not switching but I want an alternate to my G19. I am looking for something smaller, lighter, and easier to carry. The G19 is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching my EDC from a Glock 19 to a ?

Maybe not switching but I want an alternate to my G19. I am looking for something smaller, lighter, and easier to carry. The G19 is easy to carry especially with my Pure Kustom Black Ops and my A&G Gun belt BUT sometimes I need/want something smaller. It also would be a challenge for me to fire all these guns without running all over town and paying a bunch of money to rent.

My criteria are:
    1)$475 or less
    2)I am ok with anything 32 Auto or above
    3)Reliable and not a POS
    4)Easily available
    5)and ofcoarse lighter, smaller, and easier to carry than my G19

I was thinking of these:
    1) Ruger LCP
    2) Ruger LCR
    3) S&W Jframe (642/442)
    4) Keltec P3A-T
    5)Keltec P32
    6) Seecamp LWS .32 or .380
    7) NAA Guardian .32 or .380

LOL Tell you what trade you my 442 for your G19. LOL

Why change. I would keep it and just go get a smaller gun if size is an issue. If you wait until next year or at least later this year Ruger is releasing a 9mm version of thier LCP.

I personally think that anyone who CC's should have a j-frame in their inventory, but that is just me. There are many reasons why they are so popular.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by MPA249 View Post
    LOL Tell you what trade you my 442 for your G19. LOL

Why change. I would keep it and just go get a smaller gun if size is an issue. If you wait until next year or at least later this year Ruger is releasing a 9mm version of thier LCP.
    I am not trading it or selling it. I plan on using it maybe 4 days a week. I just want to add more to my collection and I don't have a smaller pistol but do have larger ones.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I personally think that anyone who CC's should have a j-frame in their inventory, but that is just me. There are many reasons why they are so popular.
    I am actually heavily leaning towards a J frame. Probably a S&W but maybe the LCR. Any other really good options for J frames?

I'm personally NOT a fan of very small autos..as I think the chance for a malfunction is greater. The smallest auto I carry is a Glock 26(have a G19 also)therefore I would recommend one of the revolvers from your list. Either of the Airweight Smiths or the Ruger LCR should serve you well. The Ruger probably would make your price point easier. "Five for Sure" is the mantra! Good Luck with your choice.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I am actually heavily leaning towards a J frame. Probably a S&W but maybe the LCR. Any other really good options for J frames?
    I'd stick with either of those. I have handled but not shot an LCR, I wasn't too impressed with how it felt, but to each there own.

I own a S&W 638, it goes out with me when I need a BUG or don't want to strap on a 1911. Try to find one without a lock if possible.

Bud's currently has them for $361 before shipping and transfer fee: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id=70713

There are three main hammer configurations, traditional, bodyguard/shrouded hammer, or DAO, without an external hammer, all have their merits and drawbacks.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I'd stick with either of those. I have handled but not shot an LCR, I wasn't too impressed with how it felt, but to each there own.

I own a S&W 638, it goes out with me when I need a BUG or don't want to strap on a 1911. Try to find one without a lock if possible.

Bud's currently has them for $361 before shipping and transfer fee: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id=70713

There are three main hammer configurations, traditional, bodyguard/shrouded hammer, or DAO, without an external hammer, all have their merits and drawbacks.
    So if that gun ships free then all I have to pay is the FFL transfer fee of around $20? So I would get that gun for about $381 compared to $450 at the local gun store.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    From your list, I would recommend a S&W 642/442 or a Ruger LCR. Nonetheless, I think that you should consider a Glock 26 since you already carry a Glock 19 and that way the mags are interchangeable and you are already trained with the Glock.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    From your list, I would recommend a S&W 642/442 or a Ruger LCR. Nonetheless, I think that you should consider a Glock 26 since you already carry a Glock 19 and that way the mags are interchangeable and you are already trained with the Glock.
    I love my Glock but I am the type of guy that doesn't like to buy similar things. For example I won't by all Toyotas or all Ford. I like to vary it up:) I kind of wish I purchased the G26 in the beginning though.

This.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

I'd say either a G26 or an LCR. The trigger on the LCR is nice.

When i first started carrying, i carried a Glock 30... as time went on, i found myself carrying my Smith 642 right front pocket, and Smith 442 in either left front pocket or ankle holster... both great guns, but i also have a few Taurus that i like as much. Go with the snubs... they ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool

+1
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    You have your answer right there, you didnt even really need us!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links